Sign in to follow this  
Guest N6722c

Altimeter setting for the USA

Guest N6722c

How can one change the Pressure setting from mB to Inches .(ie The Pressure system used in the USA ).ie (Q1014 ----> A2991)KIAD 242252Z 19007KT 7SM SCT150 31/24 Q1014----->KIAD 242252Z 19007KT 7SM SCT150 31/24 A2991

Guest N6722c

>Hi,>>mB is the universal METAR standard and cannot be changed.>However, any of our decoded windows show both mb and inches.>>Thanks,>Jim>Jim, ( and Damian)Are you sure ? I know you are the FS Weather experts. However, I am a pilot in the USA, and I am sure that in the USA, Metar pressures are given in "inches".For your reference, (just you you don't just have to take my word for it, please refere to any FAA/ NWS documentation on Metars, for example: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/oso/oso1/oso12/faq.htmQ5 . Will the METAR and TAF information be presented in metric measurements? A5 . For the most part, no. In order to lessen the burden on the U.S. aviation community, a number of exceptions in metric reporting units have been filed by the U.S. For example, winds will continue to be reported in knots (as opposed to meters per second), ceilings and runway visual range will continue to be reported in feet (as opposed to meters), visibility will continue to be reported in statute miles (as opposed to meters), and altimeter settings will continue to be reported in inches of mercury (as opposed to hectopascals). The only element that will be converted to metric units is the temperature/dewpoint field which will be reported in whole degrees Celsius. -------------------------------------------I would suggest that ACTIVE SKY read the FSX settings under SETTINGS:GENERAL for "International Units", and use those selected by the user, or, provide an identical selection process within ACTIVE SKY.see FSX.CFG UNITS_OF_MEASURE=0 (or 1, or 2 )This is not just a minor detail, it is a very important parameter that should be given the correct units according to geographical location.As a USA Pilot, literally THE FIRST TIME I used ACTIVE SKY, this jumped out and hit me as a glaring error.--------------------BTW: For those OUTSIDE of the USA, you might want to check the units you report other items in, ie Ceilings & RVR in Meters etc.FSX has covered this in their DISPLAY/SETTINGS options.... I really think that ACTIVE SKY should do the same, to meet the high standards of everything else in the product.That being said, GREAT PRODUCT -- I only make these constructive suggestions to make it even better :)Geoff_D

Guest N6722c

>Hi,>>I stand corrected and learned something new!!>>Jim>>http://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpg>http://www.hifisim.com/JimThats the great thing about the Flight Sim Hobby -- we all get to learn new things every day. We never stop learning.Can I assume that this might be corrected in the next update, or should further steps be taken to Bug this to the Active Sky developers.?Geoff

>BTW: For those OUTSIDE of the USA, you might want to check >the units you report other items in, ie Ceilings & RVR in>Meters etc.FYI Geoff, most of the world outside of the US also use feet for altitudes, it's mainly Eastern Europe that uses metres and even then they only use metres until you climb to a Flight Level and then 1013/29.92 applies and you work totally in FL's.

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

Hi Everyone,Ok... First, ASX METAR strings are completely unedited as created from the stations themselves. If the station is reporting inches, you will see inches. If its reporting QNH or mb you'll get that.I checked KIAD and currently, as expected it is reporting inches.In ASX we determined that you may want data in various ways so we make a point to report everything decoded with variable units, i.e. vis shown both miles and meters, altimeter shown inches and mbs, etc.For coded information, we leave it coded without altering.If the suggestion is to change the actual reported METAR string to the format the user wants to force, we can certainly consider it, however it seems what is being asked is that formats remain consistent to the area and that is exactly how its being done now.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Hi again,It looks like the reference here is actually to the Wx Config screen which currently defaults to SM vis and mb Pressure. We are adding some units configuration options to allow you to specify these in either format.As for actual reports/metar strings, the explanation above applies..Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest N6722c

>Hi again,>>It looks like the reference here is actually to the Wx Config>screen which currently defaults to SM vis and mb Pressure. We>are adding some units configuration options to allow you to>specify these in either format.>>As for actual reports/metar strings, the explanation above>applies..>>Best,Thanks Damian,My mistake for not making it clear that I was talking about the Configuration screen. Some unit configuration options will be most useful for us in the USA etc.Geoff