Sign in to follow this  
Guest sstobbe

AS Overcast issues fixed?

Guest sstobbe

Jim,So, just to confirm, when you are in cockpit view of your installation of fsx/asx, and do a vertical dive into a cloud deck that the local weather report says is solid, can you see the ground?Thanks

Hi Steve,My jets descend at 1800.My turboprops descend at 1200-1000.My single props descend at 500-700.IF the local weather report says solid and I see the ground while descending, I say "wow I just flew through a hole in cloud deck", just as in real life, and I continue flying and think no more about it.Thanks,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

Wow.....if that does not make my point then nothing ever will. Holes in overcast weather that just happen to always be right underneath your aircraft are NOT like "in real life". So is that the status of this error report that many users have supplied every bit of information to help solve it, "think no more about it?"Steve

Guest sstobbe

Hello Jim,I promise I am not trying to drive you crazy. I think we are nearly there with my question.My only question is whether, on your personal installation of ASX/FSX, do you always see the ground/water when diving vertically into a "solid overcast" cloud deck from above.Whether this is normal behavior in flight sim, or adviseable in the real world is a separate debate.Thanks,

Hi Steve,I have never flown like that in FS so I cannot answer. It seems to me as if you are looking for a 100% guarantee that you will never see the ground in OVC conditions. Well, I cannot 100% do that. I don't have your set up, FSX is not 100%, ASX is not 100%, and real life is not 100%.OVC does not mean that you will never see the ground, even in real life. I can just see a pilot walking into a weather station and yelling at the equipment: "You reported OVC 45 minutes ago and I saw the ground. I think there is something wrong with you, you dumb machine. You should be fixed, right now, or your plug should be pulled."Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

Guest sstobbe

Jim, No, I am not looking for a 100 percent guarantee that an overcast deck will be 100 percent solid always. All I want to know whether if you look down steeply into solid overcast cloud decks, on your installation of ASX, is it EVER solid? Can you try this on your computer?I know that programs work differently with different settings, hardware, etc. I just want to know if the program is depicting overcast conditions for you correctly.Can you please answer the question I am asking?Thankyou for your patience,

Guest sstobbe

Ok, so it's working for some people. That's enough for me to give it another try.Thanks,

Steve,Please report back on your experience if you do purchase. I would love for this to be attributed to a specific video card or driver so it can be remedied quickly but I think it is a combination of things that prevent this from being what we want. I find it odd that a 2.5 year old machine has no trouble getting solid overcast decks let alone how that old of a machine even runs FSX. The other thing that is disturbing is that Damian (hifi55) has not even weighed in on this and many other topics. It is always nice to hear from the developer on the status of future efforts.Steve

Steve (Chappie)can you please give me details on how to create what you consider OVC sky? (I'm talking about the layers to create on ASX as I cannot find the "theme" Overcast ready to fly).I would like to see if on my PC there is the same problem you are complaining about and reporting my results (I could help?).ThanksNick

The themes are on the FSX Weather tab, not in ASX. My best overcast conditions are when I create them in FSX by selecting World...Weather then User Defined Weather option and then select the Customize button and then click the Advanced Weather Tab and then build a solid overcast deck on that page.Steve

Guest sstobbe

Yes, I'll post my results here. Might be about a month.

>The themes are on the FSX Weather tab, not in ASX. My best>overcast conditions are when I create them in FSX by selecting>World...Weather then User Defined Weather option and then>select the Customize button and then click the Advanced>Weather Tab and then build a solid overcast deck on that>page.>>SteveYes I know about FSX themes, but I would like to know ho to create a proper OVC condition on ASX. Just to see if my pc is among the ones able to simulate it...Downloading real weather, even when I fly throught what it should be an OVC sky (tower view shows rain on ground!), it looks like a sunny and fine weather from cockpit view...Nick

Sorry to be so long in replying (I was in Las Vegas for a week :) ) but to get to your root question of how to create them in ASX is where the problem is at. ASX for me and others seems to have a real problem creating solid overcast cloud layers. ASX makes a primarily clear area of sky around your airplane when it is supposed to be overcast. I get my heaviest clouds from downloading real weather within FSX, but when I start up ASX it reduces the clouds and creates a big "donut hole" of clearer airspace around my aircraft even though the METAR as stated on the ASX map shows overcast conditions.

Yes, I noticed that myself too.With ASX it is like flying nearly always with nice weather...Hopefully HIFI will sort the problem out...ThanksNick