Hi folks,Having a spot of bother when running weather in Fs9, I have a gradualslowing when wx is loading up, FPS go from 24's down to 8's. Sim is fine when starting off but over about 30 mins or so the FPS start to die, this can last 15 or more seconds. The only time it does not occur is if I only load one cirrus layer via the default sim weather. Things I have tried:Spyware check / Anti virus scan. AVirus is always off when simmingDefrag OO (named)All manner of settings in sim, ASV6.5 ( build 533 ) and FS9 cfgTurned off UT AIWhat baffles me is that I have just installed a new 320 SATA11 HD ( fresh start XP/Sim, partitioned. ) with the exactly the same device drivers as I had on my old IDE drive, same addons, same settings in sim too.No individual drivers are needed for SATA on my mother board.I fly the LD763, so high alt is my domain.I run FS9, FSGlobal SE, Track IR, Radar Contact, Flight Envo, GePro11 ( not auto submit ) the only difference from before is I am now using FSGlobal SE. my spec:E6600 ( not clocked ) 2 gig ram Gainwood 7900GS video.thanks for any thoughts on this as I am kind off lost :(regards,

Hi Jim,Thanks for your assistance, using MSFS own wx engine has the same effect ie running along 25 fps and every few minutes it will die back to 8-ish for 15-30 seconds. I have always had a quick pause in sim every now and then where scenery or wx is loading up this I expect to happen and for me is not a problem.What I have found today:FPS die when only viewing the sky, ie if the FPS drop say in vcand I quickly look down at the cockpit instrumentation the FPS instantly increase back to my locked FPS of 25I have tried a few more things out:Cut sim display weather settings down: 150/60/40 and low cloud detail, this was from 150/80/100 and medium cloud detail on my previous IDE HD, with this setting the sudden frame drop has nothappened, FPS do drop a little but not with the same drastic effect, I have set Active Sky with I cloud layer only and 1000 thickness, it was 4 / 4000 before.I have my TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=400 as before maybe I'll drop this down to 200 and see what happens.Do SATA 11 drives transfer data as fast as IDE, perhaps some pc techy guy would have knowledge of this..? Please dont think I am in anyway unhappy with Active Sky as I sayI have used it without any problems at all before this HD switch and rate it as a first glass addon to flightsim.regards,

Hi Steve,OK interesting results. It is not AS causing this, but a system problem. I reviewed your specs again and it hit me: The 7900 line of graphics cards have given more users problems then any other card in the history of FS. For whatever reasons and with whatever video drivers, the results are usually the same: poor.So you can try and find a balance or replace that card. For FS04 we THINK that ATI cards do a better job, but that is our take. Or you can try different video drivers and settings such as AA and AF.Thanks,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

Hi Jim,Thanks for the reply, not sure re my 7900 given poor results, as I have already stated I've only had this problem since I swithed to a SATA HD, no problem at all with the old IDE HD with Active Sky and all stated addons running and I knew all along it was not an AS problem.I was hoping someone may have had a simular problem and found a solution to it.What I will do it put my old IDE HD back into the pc, thankfully I left all data intact so its just a case of plugging it back in.thanks for your time anyway,cheers,

>Hi Jim,>>Thanks for your assistance, using MSFS own wx engine has the>same effect ie running along 25 fps and every few minutes it>will die back to 8-ish for 15-30 seconds. I have always had a>quick pause in sim every now and then where scenery or wx is>loading up this I expect to happen and for me is not a>problem.>>What I have found today:>FPS die when only viewing the sky, ie if the FPS drop say in>vc>and I quickly look down at the cockpit instrumentation the FPS>instantly increase back to my locked FPS of 25>Since it's not an ASX thing I can give a couple of comments:1) try an older graphics driver. This did wonders for my nvidia 7-series card. I was using 162.18, but I've now gone back to using 84.21, with better texture loading speed all around. I think nVidia over-optimized the newer drivers for the 8800 cards at the expense of our 7-series cards.2) I suggest you experiment with your framelock value. Find an fps that your sys can achieve most of the time, and then take 10% off that and lock there. The bottom line is, you want a setting that will produce smoothness--no stutters--and if that means lock at 20, 22, 25, 30, or unlimited, then by all means do it.3) I suggest a lower TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT (TBM) setting. Lower than 200. You know, this value is a frame rate value. See the blog posts on TBM (Phil Taylor's blog has links to the blogs that talk about this--). People report wide things on this value, but I follow the advice of the people that wrote the program.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Hi Rhett,Thanks for time, like yourself I use the Guru 3D 93.71 drivers, never had any need to chance them.I fully understand about frame rates and like most simmers have spent time experimenting on this issue and found that 25 fps was a good steady lock with my sim/addons/Gainwood 7900GS video card when using my old IDE hard drive and did not have the issue with drastic drops to 8-ish for 30 seconds at a time that I have now after the change to this SATA hard drive, that is what is so baffling about it. I will chance the TBM to 200 or lower and see what occurs.I wont glog this forum with more posts re this issue, if I can't resolve this I will move to the hardware forums.thanks anyway,appreciate it,cheers now,

Hi folks,Seems I have cured my snag, with my old setup I had sound ecceleration at max with sim sound as high, now I have it set at 'standard' and 'medium' and this has cured the FPS drop. Why there should be a difference I dont know i'm just happy the problem is resolved and I can run Active Sky again.cheers,Steve.

Hi folks,Seems I spoke too soon Jim, it was just that I flew in an area with hardly any weather going on, problem was still there. :( So futher investigation was required, so I put back my old IDE drive in and everything ran with no problems at all, so I thought maybe it was to do with the fact that the old IDE HD was set as 'master' and DVD unit as 'slave' and how was it set with the SATA 11, well the DVD was set as 'master' on the one and only IDE port I then put the jumper on the DVD to 'cable select' which made it a 'slave' to the SATA 11 HD, and there it was all along. I have now done three flightsin the worst weather I could find of the metars running Active Skyand down loading real time with no drastic slow down in the FPS, its running as sweat as before with the new SATA 11 HD and all addons running. I found no info in my manual re setup and how it may differ with SATA so I was running 'blind' as it were and not being an expertin pc's was stumped for a while I sat here thinking IDE and SATAwere two seperate setups, but I got there in the end.Hope you dont mind me posting this, perhaps it may help someone who comes agross a snag ilke this.cheers now,Steve