Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nealoc187

How do I get rid of the horizon "cutoff" in AS6.5

Guest Nealoc187

More than anything else in FS9, the cutoff of the horizon drives me insane. When I rotate my view and I see clouds popping in and out of existence, and the horizon just "ends". I have AS6.5 build 552. I read JSkorna's post about tweaking AS6.5 and I've got view distance set to 59 miles in AS6.5 but I can still see well past that - it seems my view distance isn't really limited to that.I always use real world weather. I love it when I'm in the vicinity of a an airport that has moderate visibility, like 8 or 10 miles, because the visibility realistically fades out beyond that, but when I'm around airports that are reporting unrestricted visibility I can see til the end of the horizon cutoff (150 miles) and to the end of the cloud cutoff (80 miles iirc). How do I limit it so that visibility deteriorates prior to me being able to see the cutoff like it is in real life. Basically I just don't want to see anything "popping into existence" I just want everything (terrain and clouds) to just fade in out of the haze like it would in real life.neal

Guest Nealoc187

OK I just did some testing. If I set the max vis in AS6.5 to 30 miles or less then the horizon becomes obscured in the haze at all altitudes from ground level up to 45000' - it looks more realistic than a definitive "cutoff" but only for really hazy days. If I set the max vis in AS6.5 to 35+ miles, the horizon becomes a definitive "cutoff" where you can see that the ground ends, and the sky begins. So that explains something about the horizon cutoff. However - even with the visibility set to 30 or lower, I can still see clouds popping into existence at 80 miles (when I set cloud draw distance to 80 miles). Infact as I type this I have the simulation paused, and if I set the cloud draw distance to 40 miles there are some towering cumulus clouds out off my right wing that I am unable to see - but when I switch the slider to 80 mile cloud draw distance, I can see these clouds (remember, max vis in AS6.5 settings is set to 29 miles right now).Is there any way to force the fading into the haze effect that I want?

Chris,I think that Neal is using AS6.5 ......Cheers,S

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

Guest Nealoc187

Hi again,Where in ASG options is "smooth horizon." I checked both ASG and AS6.5 options and I don't see any mention of this.