Sign in to follow this  
Guest bfindlay

Visibility 'popping' in ASV6.5

Guest bfindlay

Using build 522, on an imac. Crated a flight from CYVR to KBLI (about 35 miles) in ASV6.5, processed then refreshed weather. ASV then flagged GEPro which loaded textures, and started the sim., and loaded weather, started the flight. Weather looked great with about 15 to 20 miles visibility and correctly placed layers - just as in the metar.Got about .5 miles north of the Boundary Bay airport (halfway to BLI)and BAM the visibility dropped to about 1 mile. The cloud layes where still there - just that I was now flying in a foggy donught, whereas I used to be in nice clear skies. Reversed course, and flew back through the boundary - POP visibility returned. There is a hard boundary just north of Boundary bay airport, where the weather toggles between two jarringly disconnected states. Don't know if there is something I can do to alleviate this, but am keen to try.Suggestions?

Guest bfindlay

Hmmm - tried it again a few hours later. I made a slight change and had ASV do a new route from cyvr to kbil (instead of kbli - slight dyslexia). As before, the visibility went from 20 miles or so in haze, with scattered layers to BAM 1/2 mile in fog in the vicinity of Boundary Bay. Slightly to the west of it this time though - the BAM barrier had moved. If I could remember how to post my ASV config settings here I would. Help!

Hi there,At what altitude are you flying?Did you get in range of a new station? If so what is the metar for that station showing?Post your ASv6.ini content or take a screenshot of the options window.

Guest bfindlay

Here is the config file. I was at 2,000 feet. I doubt if I 'changed stations' this is about 10 miles or so south of CYVR airport - barely into the flight.

Think I found the reason....There are a couple of stations not far from Vancouver.Saturna Island MAPS (CWEZ) SSE of the airport and White Rock AWRS (CWWK) ESE. Both are about 20nm from CYVR.The important thing here is that these stations dont give aviation related metars, so AS is ignoring them and interpolate from nearby valid stations. In the case of CWEZ it will be affected by the station at Victoria Intl(CYYJ), and at 1500z its reporting a 2sm visibility.At the other station, CWWK, its the same. Closest valid metar to that station is Abbotsford(CYXX).Flying south you probably got close to Saturna Island and in range of that station which was probably reporting 2sm visibility.Your ASv6 settings look ok to me.Hope this helped to explain the visibility issues.

It would be nice if AS would interpolate visibility distances by taking the position of the aircraft relative to the reporting stations...I think mathematically it could be done. In fact I think AS does this to some extent, but here in this case it is not working.I have seen hard boundaries in both ASV6 and ASX and I realize nothing is foolproof when dealing with stations with wildly varying conditions and reporting times. The dream would be if AS could trap these vis shifts and interpolate them always...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB