Sign in to follow this  
Erv Moore

Experience after installing ASX & XG SP1

Sorry if this is an old question, normally don't fly much during summer months. Since installing SP1 for ASX & XG (seven short flights) sim shifts into a slide show for about 5 to 15 sec after sim start up (normally occurs during taxi). Before installing SP1 the sim was very smooth and still is using only FSX with Microsoft real weather 15 min download. Normal FR is in mid to upper 20s with target 30 and very smooth. During slide show it drops to 5.3 to 6.There are no program errors with FSX, ASX, & XG. All loads and operates normal just like before the SP1 upgrades. Before the upgrade, I had many, many flight hours with no problems. Is this normal? If not, is there anything I can do or check? This appears to be a weather upload or initialazation issue.Any thoughts would be greatly appreicated. Winter is around the corner, need to get back into some serious flying with ASX/XG.Thanks much!Erv KSDFIntel Core 2 X6800(3.22), P5W Deluxe, Coolmax 650W, Corsair DII800 4G, two 74G/WD 10,000 drives, ASUS 1900XT/512 Card, CoolMaster TAC-T01, Creative Sound Card, USB Logitech 350 Headset with Mic, Samsung 22

Intel Core i9-1300K, ASUS TUF Z790-Plus, EVGA 1600 P, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 2TB, Crucial 5200 DDR5 32 GB, MSI  4090, Verjo Aero, Store MSFS 2020.

Sorry cant help you fix it other than to say revert back to the original version. I too noticed that FSX turns into a slide show with ASX SP1 installed. I've actually given up on ASX for now and hope for another SP in the near future. For now i'm using the built in FSX weather and the latest FSUIPC4 beta has helped reduce the wind shift problems to a certain extent.

Cheers, Andy.

Hi All,Sorry for the problem. Let's see if setting the High Priority Processes the opposite it is now makes a difference.It is always helpful to let us know about problems instead of reverting back to older versions, because we build future versions on the current version not the original.Thanks,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

Hi Jim,My goal is to use the latest & greatest and as indicated I have not been using flt sim during good weather here in KY, sorry if I came across wrong. Would greatly appreciate you walking me through this "setting the High Priority Processes". How do I do that? I'll try anything to get this baby to work the way it was or even better.By the way, this will help two of us because my brother has the same issue as myself.Thanks much,Erv KSDF

Intel Core i9-1300K, ASUS TUF Z790-Plus, EVGA 1600 P, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 2TB, Crucial 5200 DDR5 32 GB, MSI  4090, Verjo Aero, Store MSFS 2020.

Ha Jim,Found the "High Priority Processes" setting. Mine was un-checked, checked it, and made a flight. This seemed to correct the problem, no slide show, the FR only dropped to 6.5 for less than a second twice during a long taxi.Thanks for help! I'll pass on in to others.Erv KSDF

For what it is worth, made two nav (several turns) flights, SIAI-Marchetti SF260 (cockpit view only) this morning (local time 0400) with ASX SP1(High Priority Processes checked) and without ASX from M20 to KOWB. The with ASX showed no slide show as reported in original post however the sim showed an occasional stutter with FR drop to 6.5 less than a second. One interesting note was the sim froze for about three seconds on final to KOWB rwy 36. The without ASX flight with real weather ever 15 min was smooth from start to finish.Bottom-line, no slide show but in my opinion the sim with ASX is not as smooth as it was before SP1. Thanks!Erv KSDF

Hi Erv,Thanks for your findings. Please keep in mind that it could be other things involved here. I am not saying that AS could not be the cause, but settings in FSX, the amount of clouds, the amount of AI traffic, and even turning in FSX can cause FPS drops. We might look at your general FSX settings and see if there are some adjustments that can be made.Thanks,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

Thanks Jim! I'll keep working with it, if I find something of improtance I'll pass it on. The main thing, it's usable. Thanks much! erv

Well, I have done lots of flying trying to understand my slide show/stutter problem with ASX/XG(seems to occur most on the ground taxing - after airborne at alt it runs generally smooth).First, FSX with real weather 15 min downloads runs smooth with 25 to 30 FR. The operating system XP Home is on C: drive, flight sim is on dedicated G: drive. Both drives are 10,000 rpm. Some things I have done, turned off anti-virus, many defrags with Ultimate Defrag, changes FR to unlimited, 25, 30, turned off auto gen, very little air, ground, sea traffic, turned off/on ASX High Priority Processes(runs better checked - very little slide show), run just ASX without XG, moved files on hard drive, checked to make sure defrag program was not running in background, changed graphics card settings to include latest driver 7.10, etc.My question is, is this normal? Am I being to critical? Sorry, I just did not see this before SP1. I'm considering going back to basic ASX/XG just to see if problem goes away.Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. Thanks!Erv KSDFIntel Core 2 X6800(3.22), P5W Deluxe, Coolmax 650W, Corsair DII800 4G, two 74G/WD 10,000 drives, ASUS 1900XT/512 Card, CoolMaster TAC-T01, Creative Sound Card, USB Logitech 350 Headset with Mic, Samsung 22

Thanks Jim. Turned off all traffic(land & air) and auto gen, no impact. I have FR set at 24, when stutter starts, FR drops under 6. Think I will play around with graphics card settings. Also, I wounder if there might be a conflict with Ultimate TerrainX USA - maybe I have something set wrong.Thanks again. erv

Guest Dave65

Wow,mine does the exact thing,I never dreamed it had anything to do with ASX,but I get this in the air too,not a lot maybe every 20 minutes my FRs will drop to 5-6 sometimes up to 2 minute long,I always thought it was just FSX,I am going to try the fixes you tryed and see if it helps me..

David, wish you luck. I did more testing over the weekend including a new FSX config file with default settings & Jim's recommendations, no luck, I can't figure it out. At first I thought it was just me but since posting here, I have learned at least four of us with this issue. It's to bad because I loved ASX/XG before SP1 came along. I'm thinking about totally wiping out my hard drives and starting from ground up but don't have time to do it now.erv

After more testing and investication, I think the problem I had is fixed - no more stutters or slide show. Here is what I did.1. I loaded ASX/GX and included a M20 to Bowling Green KY VFR flight plan.2. Started FSX, when it booted up, the weather was clear when in fact the real weather was raining cats/dogs. Anyway, the ASX initial Weather depiction complete message came across the screen. About 5 sec later the weather turned like it was supposed to be and when it did the computer went into a slide show, FR went to less than 6. Than, a couple sec later it was clear again with another slide show.3. So I went back to my ASX setting, hit re-set to default settings to establish a base line to do more troubleshooting. 4. Flew the M20/Bowling Green flight again, the sim was very smooth. Back to the way it was before upgrading with SP1.5. Flew one more flight, same result - smooth. I am very happy!Have no idea how my ASX settings changed, have always used default.erv KSDF

Guest Dave65

>After more testing and investication, I think the problem I>had is fixed - no more stutters or slide show. Here is what I>did.>>1. I loaded ASX/GX and included a M20 to Bowling Green KY VFR>flight plan.>2. Started FSX, when it booted up, the weather was clear when>in fact the real weather was raining cats/dogs. Anyway, the>ASX initial Weather depiction complete message came across the>screen. About 5 sec later the weather turned like it was>supposed to be and when it did the computer went into a slide>show, FR went to less than 6. Than, a couple sec later it was>clear again with another slide show.>3. So I went back to my ASX setting, hit re-set to default>settings to establish a base line to do more troubleshooting.>>4. Flew the M20/Bowling Green flight again, the sim was very>smooth. Back to the way it was before upgrading with SP1.>5. Flew one more flight, same result - smooth. I am very>happy!>>Have no idea how my ASX settings changed, have always used>default.>>erv KSDF>Ok thanks,I will give this a shot.I tryed the "wipe the hard drive clean and start over"..Didnt work..I will keep you posted..Thanks