Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Weather fluctuating every few seconds

I wonder if anyone can explain why the weather often fluctuated between what is shown in the two screenshots - at worst every five seconds or so. I have to turn off Active Sky after a while it gets so maddening.Ideas welcome!Thanks.Martin

Hi Jim. Hope all is well with you...I noticed it seems to happen at certain altitudes only. I've checked the 'depict FS Haze layer' box - I'll see if it helps.Thanks,Martin

My biggest problem with very frequent weather changes are sudden and big changes in air pressure. I was in the IFR ciruit at EGPF the other night and was getting regular pressure changes that meant I was up to 800ft off the assigned altitude which is not clever when being vectored online with other traffic about! I was never more than 12 miles from the airport and the QNH was hopping up and down like a fiddlers elbow. Does anyone have any bright ideas on that one?TIA

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

Hi Bill,Were the weather stations reporting different pressures? There is no pressure smoothing so if stations are reporting different pressures, this amy happen as you move in and out of station areas. Also, make sure that FSUIPC is set to default settings and Weather setting Off.Thanks,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

Hi JimThx for the reply. As I mentioned I was never more than c12nm away from EGPF (Glasgow) when these pressure changes occurred so I wouldn't have expected it to be switching station areas frequently. Anyway I have just followed your advice, turned off all weather settings in FSUIPC and set the rest of it to default. I flew around the IFR cicuit at EGPF a couple of times with ASX set to download Vatsim wx and a route EGPF to EGPF entered on the briefing page.The whole of central scotland's METAR reports are showing a steady QNH of around 1026mb this afternoon and sure enough on the ground it correctly reported 1026mb. Take off, fly 5 miles to the south-east of the airport and the QNH dropped to 1014mb. The next nearest airport, Prestwick, has 1025mb in it's current METAR incidentally. Carrying on at 10 miles out on the Glasgow ILS it's showing 1015mb and as I reached a short final it went back to 1026mb. You can imagine the potential consequences of jumps in pressure like that!So, either I am doing something wrong or ASX is doing something very strange. I'm new to ASX but certainly not FS (25 years!) so I may well be misunderstanding something in how ASX works but if it is doing the above then I daren't use it for flying online at the moment.Any ideas? TIA

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

The METARs I referred to were checked independantly of the aircraft using Servinfo and were rarely more than an hour old. The pressure changes I referred to were from the plane (LDS 767X plus one of the defaults as well). As I said, on the ground at Glasgow the ASX weather and pressure matched the latest Metar (Servinfo) precisely but a few miles away it was way off despite the whole region experiencing very stable high pressure for the last couple of days. I have no idea where ASX might have got a QNH of 1015mb from since nowhere up there has reported anything near that in days and I was so close to Glasgow the whole time anyway!Thanks for your interest Jim :)

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

Hi Jim,Apologies if I didn't make myself clear. When I tested this on two consecutive days ASX was getting it's weather from Vatsim and on the ground it precisely matched the current real-world METARs I was looking at independantly. Big tick in the box on that point, the Vatsim data is correct and ASX is interpeting it correctly :) So all is happy in the world of BAW113.Once I was in the air 5-10 miles downwind south east of Glasgow ASX (i.e. the aircraft was receiving from ASX) entirely different weather, over 10mbs less pressure. That pressure reading (1014mb to 1015mb) in the aircraft was nowhere near any real world METARs that had been published in recent days in the vicinity. On landing back at Glasgow the pressure returned to the correct real world and Vatsim reading of 1026mb. On a second IFR circuit I turned ASX off, turned on reverted to FSX real-world weather and it maintained a correct and stable QNH throughout.I hope that's a bit clearer? So, my issue is either I have ASX setup wrongly in some way or there is an issue with my installation or indeed ASX may be up to no good somehow. That's what I'm trying to clear up since I suspect that it's me doing something wrong but I don't know what, hence the question on this forum. What I don't understand is why it changes so close to Glasgow, I would have thought that within 10 miles of the airport that ASX would still be using the Glasgow ASX/Vatsim weather?FYI - FSX SP1, ASX SP1. Online with FSInn with its weather turned OFF - definitely off ;) FSUIPC4 (version downloaded about 2 weeks ago) at the settings you suggested - weather features off, everything else at default.During the problem: ASX set to "lock to local". FP entered EGPF-EGPF 4000ft 230kts. FSX on "user defined" weather. FYI I was checking the Real World Metars via Servinfo on a completely seperate PC, not networked, nothing to do with my flight at all. Timestamps on those RW METARs were less than an hour old and correct.Spooky! ;)

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

Hi Bill,I will try again tonight using the VATSIM weather option.Edit: Thursday night and I flew using VATSIM data and I did not see anything out of the ordinary. Pressures were right on and stable. Please try some more flights and see if this keeps happening.Thanks,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

I am getting a constant blue haze at low level and cannot see how to get rid of it. This is with ASX on FSX. High end system with quad core and 4gb memory.Any assistance would be most welcome.

Back to my original point Jim, I decided after a few days testing that using the FS haze was not very nice - one of the great things with AS6 is how, in making the scenery look more natural from altitude, the haze it produces covers up the ugly squares in which FS draws the scenery. With the FS Haze checked, this benefit is lost. Looks like I'll have to put up with the odd problem as I originally described for the sake of the benefits I get.Martin