Sign in to follow this  
Naji

Dynamic Blurries

Hi folks,I know this issue has been beaten to death, but I never really gave notice to previous discussions due to the fact that I was one of the "lucky ones" that really never got them.....until recently! I recently upgraded from a G-Force2 GTS 32MB card to a G-Force 4 TI4200 card. Since then, I have had a serious case of the dynamic blurries. Or at least, that's what I think they are? Everything around my aircraft and even off in the distance is extremely blurred. I am currently running nvidia's 40.72 drivers. I believe someone posted here a while ago some settings which we could tweak in our video drivers that really helps this situation. Something to do with the LOD and AF? Could someone point me in the right direction as to how I go about doing this? And what settings would be most beneficial. I know what works for some might not work for others, but if I could have somewhere to start it would be great. Also, what utility will I need in order to do this?Thanks in advance,Gord NoseworthyNewfoundland, Canada (CYYT)

Gord,Before you do anything else go into your main FS2002 folder and rename your FS2002.cfg file to eg fs2002.orig or move it to your desktop... then restart FS2002.This will force FS2002 to rebuild the FS2002.cfg file with your new driver information nd kinda cleans old stuffout of memory!You will unfortunately be presented with the default screen resolution and slider settings... so, simply reset everything to your preferred settings and let us know what happens?

same probs here... just with a asus gforce 4 ti 4400 :(the textures get EXTREME blurrie and look like ol 16bit-stuff :Dtried the .cfg trick, but it didnt help

Guest PaulL01

If I read you right, this is how things look right at startup?If so You seem to be describing "static" blurries as your display driver setup is displaying low rez level of mipmaping and low level of Anisotropic filtering.Since you are running the 40.72's you can simply go inot the display settings/advaced menu and under direct3d setting select best "image quality" this will set Level Of Detail (LOD) to 0, which is the lowest/best level you can get in the driver menu and then chose x4 or higher for Aniso.With a decent tweaking utility like Rvtuner you can run a script patch that will allow for an even better LOD level but this should satisfy for now. :)

got the 41.09, and the mipmap imagequality set to highest. aa 4x aniso 8x NO texture sharpening. 150mb for pci-textures in direct 3d and 15mbs in opengl.and gruesome blurries :)

just to show some ex.first pic:1. landing lights look like they got a 16bit touch at the end 2. text looks like some stamp :Dsecond pic:1. textures look like badly couloured 16/8 bit 2. very blurry... :(

Hi Terry,My fault! I should have mentioned also that I just did a complete uninstall/reinstall of FS2002. Sorry about that!Regards,Gord NoseworthyNewfoundland, Canada (CYYT)

Hi Paul,>If I read you right, this is how things look right at >startup? Pretty much. As soon as I get up high enough in the air, I can notice the blurries all around me. The roads, beaches, and terrain textures are all blurred. It is only when my aircraft comes close enough to it that it sharpens up and looks normal. >Since you are running the 40.72's you can simply go inot the >display settings/advaced menu and under direct3d setting >select best "image quality" this will set Level Of Detail >(LOD) to 0, which is the lowest/best level you can get in >the driver menu and then chose x4 or higher for Aniso. Went in and noticed that my Direct 3D setting was indeed set to "Best Image" quality. However, my Aniso was set to 0. I have set this to 4 as you suggested and will give it a go. Hopefully this will do the trick.>With a decent tweaking utility like Rvtuner you can run a >script patch that will allow for an even better LOD level >but this should satisfy for now. :) Perhaps if the above does not work, I will download this utility you mentioned and try a better LOD. What is a good number to start with? I remember reading in the past that some users were using -3 or -5? Can't quite recall exactly. Only that the number in question was in the negative.Thanks for your help Paul!Regards,Gord NoseworthyNewfoundland, Canada (CYYT)

Paul,You da man! I tried setting the LOD to 4 in my Direct 3D settings and it seems to have worked like a charm! I noticed a much improved difference in the blurries! Thanks so much for your help!Kindest regards,Gord NoseworthyNewfoundland, Canada (CYYT)

Guest PaulL01

>Hi Paul, >>>If I read you right, this is how things look right at >>startup? >>Pretty much. As soon as I get up high enough in the air, I >can notice the blurries all around me. The roads, beaches, >and terrain textures are all blurred. It is only when my >aircraft comes close enough to it that it sharpens up and >looks normal. Just to verify, please try this: after rebooting your system, start FS2k2, try a start up over a large city like Miegs field Chicago, as soon as you get into flying mode press the "Y" key and you will be in slew mode, now press the "F4" key and stop at about 6000 feet(press 5 on the keypad), now rotate your view down (either the "9" or "0" key + 5 on the keypad to stop) untill you get a good view at what is going on below(you can also rotate your view with "1" and "3" on the keypad) , now just let it sit there for a good whole five minutes and post a pic if you can or do your best to describe what you see again.>>Perhaps if the above does not work, I will download this >utility you mentioned and try a better LOD. What is a good >number to start with? I remember reading in the past that >some users were using -3 or -5? Can't quite recall exactly. > Only that the number in question was in the negative. Here is a quick dirty guild to LOD settings:Wacky, waisted and Ugly shimmering>-3.0,-2.5,-1.0,-0.5 anywhere between here and -0.1 is good, >0< default best, +0.5 very bad,+1.0,+1.5,.....+3.0=what bmps?Aniso:4x(32tap) is sweat spot, 8x(64tap) is too power hungry for the return.

Guest PaulL01

Glad those settings worked for you! :)You are refering to aniso right?

Doh! Yep, I meant to say Aniso setting! ;-) Sorry! I'm suffering with a severe head cold at the moment. Thought process is slightly hindered. Therefore my fingers are typing a lot faster than my brain is functioning.Thanks again!Gord NoseworthyNewfoundland, Canada (CYYT)

Hi Paul;I just got my Ti4200. Here are my settings. Can you tell me if I should have something else set? I am getting the same blurry text. I have WinXP, 1.6gig AMD and 512mb of DDR2100.Thanks. :)

Guest PaulL01

>Hi Paul; >>I just got my Ti4200. Here are my settings. Can you tell me >if I should have something else set? I am getting the same >blurry text. I have WinXP, 1.6gig AMD and 512mb of DDR2100. >Thanks. :) The text blurriness comes you will have to just get used too I'm afraid.Since you are already using a decent Anisotropic setting you canTurn texture sharpening off.