Sign in to follow this  

SENSORSHIP on AVSIM forums

Moderation in AVSIM forums turned into sensorship. In the Phoenix section all postigs with any criticism just don't appear! No thread - no problem!This policy can not be tolerated!The institution of moderation is aimed at keeping discussions at the level of decency. In terms of wording - not in terms of opinions expressed!!!It reminds me of some Arab countries where any combination of words in Internet - that might be related even remotedely to sex - just gets wiped out!By some "moderator".Outstanding!NickMoscowRussia

Guest Aidi

From time to time threads appear that just turn into a flame war or are personal attacks on people. Those of us who moderate the forums do so as we see fit. Some posts are edited, some are locked when they reach a point that is of no benefit and others deleted when they clearly have no place here.Its not always easy to keep a happy medium, but thats what we aim to achieve.http://www.avsim.com/vfr_center/avsim_sig.jpg

Nick,I learned the hard way as well. You must understand that these are private forums(avsim), therefore there are rules you have to go by. If you don't like the rules, you can simply leave. Fausto (happycapt)

>In the Phoenix section all postigs with any criticism just >don't appear! No thread - no problem! No crticism needed. Just a "difficult" question would do it.>>This policy can not be tolerated! You have no choice. It is their forum and they can do as please. But you have right not to go there or support them with your $.Michael J.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Hi Aidan,I think it's the inconsistent application of fluid guidelines, conditions and standards that bothers many readers. By 'fluid' I mean the standards change depending on who is posting.Nobody minds rules, and we happily abide by them when they are :(1) clear, and(2) applied equally to all.Merry Christmas,Steve

Guest Matt Johnson

While I also appreciate that this is a semantic difference, the PSS Support forum is moderated by PSS staff, not by AVSIM staff.Aidan's comments above apply to AVSIM's other forums, such as this particular one.--M

>Hi Aidan, >>I think it's the inconsistent application of fluid >guidelines, conditions and standards that bothers many >readers. By 'fluid' I mean the standards change depending >on who is posting. >>Nobody minds rules, and we happily abide by them when they >are : >>(1) clear, and >>(2) applied equally to all. THAT

No, Darell, I have read the pre-registration statement. We all have lawyers and we all know why and what for such statements exist.The point of my thread is that AVSIM forums (or their parts)' moderators do interpret those rules too far and too wide.IF YOU ARE NOT WITH US - LEAVE! Great logic! It's somewhere from pre-historic tribal customs: exclusion from the tribe was the severest punishment. Sure thing I can leave. I have a membership at flightsim.com and a dozen of other forums.But I like AVSIM. And I want to make it better, to make the rules more transparent.I should tell you what. I had a kind of fight with Compaq because of my custom-made Presario 8000 they shipped to me from the factory. I had been criticized Compaq - and then Compaq/HP - every day. For lousy customer service, for inadequate response, for poorly educated staff. NO THREAD WAS EDITED OR DELETED!But we are talking about flight simulation forum, ******* Christ! (Please note: the name just mentioned was not meant to give offense to anybody whose interpretation of the name might be different and/or whose religious beliefs might be hurt by using the name in the way it was used.)I am just wondering what would it be if the real things - war, piece, national interests, oil fields, drug traffic, politics - were to be discussed in this forum with such application of the term "moderation". WE ALL WOULD TURN NUMB, I suppose.Okay. PPS moderates Phoenix forum. But I can easily imagine what happens if any posting would touch any AVSIM affiliated persons and/or structures. No names.Let's look into vocabulary and read what the verb "moderate" means. Please do moderate - please do one let talk! Otherwise we all, step by step, get bogged down in "-isms" of different sorts.

hello,This is the way I see it... "PSS support forum" since its a support forum PSS staff have the right to remove any thread started by a person thats not asking for help. If your gonna tell them how they can improve their products why not email them? AndrewKral :-wave

I e-mailed them twice. But now they are going on vacation till 1/02.My Dashes keep missing runways!

Could i just point out, your post was not deleted and is sat there waiting for you to reply so we can help you. That and the second post were not unqueued by the time you started this thread here quite simply because there was no one there to unqueue them at that point.Chris Filehttp://www.avsim.com/pss/phoenix.jpg

Guest jase439

Why not simply post to PSS Unleashed! - I think that forum is unmoderated. The support forum is moderated so that threads can remain pork-free and remain on-topic - free of flame wars and idiotic sentiments.J

I wonder, is there a rule forbidding us to comment on the rules?If not, given the direction some of the IMHO excessive controls are in place, it will be here soon enough.It a real shame. Given that I was one of the first posters to these forums on the opening night AvSim started out and at that time wholeheartedly supported the "moderation" concept, I feel that it has been taken waaayyyyy too far and has killed the essence and the truely community feel of the place. I still pop in here once a day to see what is going on and sadly I don't see a whole lot. It is so antiseptic given that many of the characters that epitomised this great hobby have been given their marching orders.As Steve puts it, I too have a problem with the fluidity of the application of the rules, however the previous poster is right and this is their place and their rules so who are we to complain, we are but simple customers and contributors, thats all, not much...Cheers,Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern Australia

>Why not simply post to PSS Unleashed! - I think that forum >is unmoderated. The support forum is moderated so that >threads can remain pork-free and remain on-topic - free of >flame wars and idiotic sentiments. >>J Because it doesn't exist anymore would be one good reason. :-)It was taken down a while back at least here at AVSIM and I'm pretty sure there isn't another one.