Sign in to follow this  

SENSORSHIP on AVSIM forums

>Moderation in AVSIM forums turned into sensorship. >>In the Phoenix section all postigs with any criticism just >don't appear! No thread - no problem! I generally stay out of the forum and let PSS handle the management of that forum unless they request me to step in. And that is the key part, while it is a forum hosted in the AVSIM forums, PSS staff handles it. But from what I've seen myself, it is not true that posts are deleted that have simply criticism. Now if you are disrespectful or just plain trolling for trouble in the forums, I wouldn't be surprised to see those posts never come to light. If trying to maintain control of their forums is what you equate to censorship, that is your business, but no one implied you have freedom of speech in the forums.>This policy can not be tolerated! Actually, if you want to post in there, it will be tolerated. That's just the way it is.>The institution of moderation is aimed at keeping >discussions at the level of decency. In terms of wording - >not in terms of opinions expressed!!! Like I said, I've seen criticisms in the forum that were kept at the level of decency. Go beyond that, and you may not see your post.>It reminds me of some Arab countries where any combination >of words in Internet - that might be related even remotedely >to sex - just gets wiped out! >By some "moderator". It's about time people get off this bandwagon comparing the forums to your favorite flavor of repression throughout the world. It gets old and shows many have totally lost perspective in my opinion.Now with that said, it has been pointed out to you that your post is displayed in the PSS forum. So I wonder if you will come back and rethink what you have said and state such or will you be like many that just come in and lambaste the AVSIM forums just because you can.

It all depends on how you word it...If you remain civilised and don't resort to swearing and/or obvious falsehoods your posts will appear and will usually be answered as well.If you are unable to stay within the boundaries of civilised communication I think you'll find your statements removed anywhere else as well (except from those places that exist purely for such uncivilised communication).And if you can't tollerate people not tollerating uncivilised communication, that's your problem and not theirs.Moderation CAN be used to suppress certain opinions, for example undecent opinions.For example, if you have a problem with a specific problem you could post about it in at least 2 ways:1) "Your product sucks. It's the worst piece of crap I've ever seen. I'm going to make sure noone ever buys from you ever again!!!!!"2) "I've encountered some problems with your product X. . Could you fix them or help me fix them?"Post #1 will warrant deletion, post #2 will be allowed to stand. Yet both posts stem from the same opinion that something is wrong with the product.Difference is that post #1 doesn't even mention the specific problem AND is completely negative and meant to hurt while post #2 is an appeal for help mentioning the issues on which help is needed.Post #1 is completely useless except maybe as a means to vent frustrations. Post #2 helps the support people determine what the problem is so they can try to help the poster.

Scott,First of all it should be said that the model you've made is great, and I wrote about it. I had sent e-mail to PSS support on 12/19 and I didn't get any response.I went though all topics about ILS capture and glidescope - and didn't find the answer.I printed out and re-read all Dash manuals for a dozen of times.I posted my own thread and was waiting its appearence.So to learn to fly this cute Dash faster was the only impetus of the whole talk.______________________________________________________________________I don't think that any of my words could be interpreted as disrespectful toward AVSIM staff ot PSS staff.The only shadow of criticism was due to the fact that since the release of the model the issue of ILS capture and glidescope, arisen by many buyers of your product, was not addressed adequately. From my point of view.______________________________________________________________________As to Freedom of Speech.I can't agree with the AVSIM statement - "THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FREEDOM OF SPEECH IN A PRIVATELY OWNED AND OPERATED FORUM".A global Web-site forum - that affiliated dozens of other flightsim projects - can not work as a private club of the Victorian epoch.By definition a Web-site, publicly or privately owned, is a mass media. And as a such it should live with all burdens of Freedom of Speech."The Times" or "Washington Post" are privately owened and operated busineses as well. But what would it be if they print on every issue:"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FREEDOM OF SPEECH IN A PRIVATELY OWNED AND OPERATED NEWSPAPER"??!![b/]______________________________________________________________________It doesn't make sense to go on with this discussion. So I withdraw.______________________________________________________________________Staying an AVSIM forum member,NickMoscowRussia

Guest Panman

I am fed up of this bull!!I for one would not miss you if you left because your right tp "freedom of speech" (which does not exist on a forum on the internet) is affected by the rules of this forum.If you came into my house and didn't want to abide by my rules I would tell you to get the ********** out of my house. The fact that you can do something in your house does not mean you can come into my house and do the same thing if it is against my rules. Plain and simple. No grey (gray for the pedantic) areas.Remember when you were in school and broke the rules? Freedom of speech does not count.Remember if you break the law. Freedom of speech does not count.The fact that rules are posted here and they are flagrantly disregarded (a look at the screenshots forum is a good example - how many posts contain more than 5 pictures, pictures that don't conform to the size etc) shows the mentality and the level of maturity of a lot of the users.Either live with the rules and STFU, or leave.Flame away I wont be reading this thread anymore.PANMAN

>>"The Times" or "Washington Post" are privately owened and >operated busineses as well. But what would it be if they >print on every issue: >>"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FREEDOM OF SPEECH IN A PRIVATELY >OWNED AND OPERATED NEWSPAPER"??!![b/] I can tell you. If all the massmedia would insist on the fact that there is no such thing as freedom of speech in a privately owned and operated newspaper/website/radio/TV-station etc. THEN THERE WOULD BE NO FREEDOM OF SPEECH AT ALL. Doesn

Guest pilot_guru

this is just like the flightsim.com forum and Mr Simon Evans revisited. And to think I moved here to get away from that!! Looks like a bad move on my part.David

Hmmm.......I have $50 riding on how long this thread will take to get locked. Avsim moderators, please dont make me lose my money.....LOL.Lagaz.

Guest Phoenix

Nick I just checked all of my e-mail for Friday and we did receive your e-mail I did receive your e-mail and I responded to you asking for you to tell what airports the problem was occuring and telling you that the easiest way to purchase liveries was to go to Sales - Browse - New Since then I have heard nothing from you. Also John Helsby from our support staff wrote you with several suggestions and to date you have not responded to any of the 4 e-maisl he sent you. Me thinks the problem is not censorship but rather the failure on your part to read your e-mails and respond.Robert KirklandPSS SUPPORTsupport@phoenix-simulation.co.ukhttp://www.avsim.com/pss/phoenix.jpg

I Had stated a few days ago that PSS will not post in this forum but thanks to the LIES in this particular thread I feel once again I am Forced to defend our position and set the record straight. Especially in the case of Mr pylon101QUOTE from PSS FORUMPSS seems to ignore the issue of poorly fuctioning APP.This is a payware, and the issue must be addressed effectively and immediately.I am just wondering how much time it is going to take to solve the issue?!Even though we considered this a rather uninformed and unhelpful statementand as well as the quite Impolite demands, PSS Still allowed your comments to be posted because underneath the somewhat abusive nature it appeared there might be a genuine problem.. You were Answered WITHIN TWO MINUTES !!!We we had to ask for more information because you didnt even mention the product you had the problem with , then you failed to respond for a whole day. What the H### do you want Sir ?

Votrex I suggest that before you make a statement as broad as that you really should take a constitutional law class. Freedom of speech in the United States does not mean that anyone can say what they want whenever and wherever they want. The Constitution says only"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances. "Note that the law says Congress may make no law. It does not say private parties. By agreeing to enter the forums you agree to abide by our rules. The state of communication, partially accelerated by the internet, has gone to a point that people feel it is ok to say anything. The lack of respect and simple courtesy that I see displayed here and in other forums saddens me. I was raised to respect the opinions of others and to feel free to discuss issues but always with respect and courtesy.When that line of respect and courtesy is crossed, the staff here at AVSIM knows that I along with the board of Directors expect that to be corrected. Yes some times that is with a heavy hand but more often it is done with a gentle nudge. And by the way the media feels that the issue of censorship only applies in one direction and that is in their favor. No one may censor what they choose to print or broadcast. However, that does not meanthat if you write a letter to the editor, that they are obligated to post it. How do I know? Well in the real world I write a syndicated column for a major news group and let me tell you 100s of letters to the editors are not published every day and even my own columns are "edited" by my editor prior to publication. Every word printed or spoken in the media is subjected to standards that the media and the writers impose on themselves.Without this application of "censorship" I would dread the consequences. One other thought. One of the issues we at AVSIM have to be concerned with are recent court ruling that a=have held web sites and posters financially liable for "libelous statments" made both in the text of the website and forums. We have become responsible for what you say in our forums. And when your or anyone elses statements cross the line we are going to react by removing those posts. I am sorry that you and others do not like that but it is the way we do and will operate this site and the forums.http://www.avsim.com/pages/robert/kirkland.jpg