Sign in to follow this  
Chuck Dreier

AS 6.5 - Question about Pressure/Flight Levels

I've been meaning to ask this for a long time, so here it is.When flying in the Flight Levels (upper altitudes), I occasionally get an immediate/instantenous change in my cruising altitude, either plus or minus, as much as 500 feet. This happens when AS 6.5 (FS9) updates. From observation, it seems to happen when upper level winds are strong, suggesting a tight pressure gradient. I do have Winds and Pressure smoothed quite a bit in FSUIPC. Ifeel sure I'm not the only one who has delt with this. Is there a way to eliminate this situation? Thanks!!!

Well, I do need help after all. After reading other threads, I flew and still have the same problem - sudden, immediate changes in altitude by as much as 500' when flying in the flight levels. I set supression range to 200 miles and that didn't help. BTW, I am using Squawbox weather as the source since I fly VATSIM. Any help would definately be appreciated since this is quite unrealistic. Thank you!

Hi,I believe that the problem is that you are using SB weather and AS weather. Turn off the weather in SB and then turn on the VATSIM option in AS. Yes, your weather will then match the VATSIM controller weather and departure and destination.Thanks,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

Thanks Jim. I've made the change (disabled SB Weather & have VATSIM enabled in AS) I'll test fly the first available chance. One more thing, since I fly mostly jets in the higher altitudes, would you suggest I set the Supression Ceiling at 18,000', to go with the Supression Range of 200 miles? Thanks again.

Just wanted to get back to all who responded and let you know that the suggestions fixed everything. AS6.5 is running like a charm with no problems related to sudden altitude change. Thanks guys!