Sign in to follow this  
Damian Clark

ASX Service Pack 2 Coming Soon

If you have the right # of layers and the right conditions it works just fine..This is over KSEA on Nov 4th. .http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/180472.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/180473.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/180474.jpgand here was just after getting airbornehttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/180478.jpgMy only real beef is that the pop-up message boxes are hidden behind the main app window. This is a royal pain - for me, anyway. Other than that I'm totally happy with this product, and am looking forward to this being fixed in SP2. Cheers!

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Mace, could you please share your settings in these programs, pertinent to creating thick overcast?Thanks.

>If you have the right # of layers and the right conditions it>works just fine..>My only real beef is that the pop-up message boxes are hidden>behind the main app window. This is a royal pain - for me,>anyway. Other than that I'm totally happy with this product,>and am looking forward to this being fixed in SP2. >>Cheers!>I don't think I have the right # of layers, so how do you array them?And what kind of message boxes you were telling about?Thanks.

Guest penguin44

I also have the same problem regarding message boxes in ASX. They pop up behind the app window so they are totally useless! Arg.

Hi Dirk; I'm at work - and perhaps Jim will correct this - but one of the configuration settings in ASX asks "How many stratus layers?": I think it defaults to about 5. I moved this up to (I think) 15 or 17. After that I could get thick, very flat, and dense cloud - stratus, I guess: I would like to see the proper, boiling cumulus that is more typical of overcast. Climbing up through in the pics above in the P40 was scary (I know - it's just a sim :) ) but I had to be right on the ball as the ground fully disappeared; it was complete instruments-only until I popped out on top at around 5000, I think. The message boxes which inform you that something or function "successfully completed", such as, for example, pop up when you, say - "apply the current weather to the flight simulator". Any message box that pops up - pops up behind the main "screen", so ASX just sits there and you're not aware that anything has happened and you can't close it, minimize it, or take any other action with it, other than use the task manager to close it. Others posted about this and someone found that only by "Show the desktop" and/or starting another app and then closing it - will the box appear in front of the main window. This is the only work-round that I've seen. I hope it's going to be fixed, because it is almost a show-stopper for me. I love the rest of the application, it does everything claimed - but (for me) there will have to be a permanent fix for this with this next service pack - and I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem. :-(

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi All,Let me first make a general comment and then comment on the cloud layer setting.The general comment is about the pop up window issue. On initial release we did have a fair number of reports of this and we looked into this and a fix was programmed into our SP1 which is build 1083. Since that time, and until now, there has probably been two reports of this. If I remember correctly we solved one and one is outstanding. This whole situation boils down to how Windows deals with these windows. My comment is this: "Wow, all of a sudden two more reports of this surface?" Did anyone post about this? Did anyone drop us an e-mail? SP2 is almost ready to go into testing and I am not sure if there is anything dealing with this because I don't think we saw this as an outstanding issue, except for one user.Now, on the cloud layer slider. Yes there is a general cloud layer slider and you can set the number of cloud layers. But I must say that these layers are determined by the METAR reports themselves. If a METAR contains 2 cloud layers, then that is all that is going to show in FS. It will not make a difference if your layers are set to 3 or to 15 or 17! Default is 5 or 7 because based on METAR data, that is the most you will ever get. We allow for a lower number in order to improve FPS on lower powered systems. I know we did discuss the reasoning for such a large number on the slider, but we know that the METAR will set the maximum cloud layers.Thanks All!Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

Paul, thank you very much for the answers. I will increase Maximum Cloud Layers to 17, though Jim says it won't change anything, lol. Your pictures were very convincing though. I have never heard of those boxes popping up, perhaps because my ASX/XGFX and FSX are running on different PCs, and my FSX window is always maximized.

You're welcome, Dirk. I normally start FSAutostart, which just starts AISmooth, PrintScreen and TrackIR; then ASX and wait for it to complete; then I start FSX.Yeah, Jim - I have the service pack and have re-installed a couple of times, but it still displays this behavior. I guess I'm like a large number of folks who rarely complain about things. I really thought it was so noticeable and that there must be hundreds of complaints that there could be no way that it could not have been fixed with the SP. I'm going to uninstall it after this post, and re-do it again, plus the sp on top. I'll pm you tomorrow, perhaps. Meantime - thanks for ASX and particularly your support. Along with UTX I really couldn't ask for better toys!:+

I wouldn't go so far as to say "thick" overcast. I said "believable" overcast. I run ASX with 7 cloud layers (I think that's default), and FEX, well, I really haven't modified FEX at all. I run Wispy clouds 1+ASX and saw nice overcasts over Poland and Romania about 2 days ago (Nov 12, 2007) due to a nasty storm system traversing eastern Europe.By "believable" overcast, I mean that looking up or down, it's solid. I never saw that before FEX+ASG. FEX seemed to thicken things up.Now, when you fly through it, it's not thousands of feet thick of white/gray-out cloud. We're still not there yet.Is there any specific setting you want to see? Because I really haven't done much to ASG or FEX other than install them and run them...to see believable overcast.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>Paul, thank you very much for the answers. I will increase>Maximum Cloud Layers to 17, though Jim says it won't change>anything, lol. Your pictures were very convincing though. >Dirk,Pauls pics are similar to what I saw over Poland. It was really pretty neat.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Thank you, Mace. I thought ASX/XG and FEX were alternatives to some degree. You don't use HiFi's XG, do you? Also you said you ran "Wispy clouds 1+ASX", where do you set these clouds, in FE? I think I'll have to buy FEX.Realistic overcast and sloped runways are seriously missing from flight simualtion yet. The only thick and true 3D overcast one can find is in LockOn only.Dirk.

I have this problem and it is a pain, takes more time to run the program because you can't see the active screen/s. erv KSDF

Intel Core i9-1300K, ASUS TUF Z790-Plus, EVGA 1600 P, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 2TB, Crucial 5200 DDR5 32 GB, MSI  4090, Verjo Aero, Store MSFS 2020.

Thank you guys! I just tried a long haul from lax-rjaa in the pmdg 747 and the thing is just so realistic it cant handle the abrupt wind shifts, I stalled and lost thousands of feet of altitude before i could regain control only to have the winds shift again and send me overspeeding, Looking forward to sp2! Andrew