Sign in to follow this  
BlueStar

What Am I Doing Wrong in ASX

I am running Vista with FSX (SP1) and ASX (Build 1083). Both ASX (default settings) and FSX appear to be working correctly as stand alone programs, but not together. Currently I have FSX at KDAL and ASX appears to be supplying the correct METAR with rain and 1,300 overcast. The METAR for ASX and FSX are in agreement. The problem is the sky is approximately 50% Broken. Another problem I am experiencing is the Winds Aloft. On a recent trip they were reading 250/85, then all of a sudden they will shift to almost the opposite direction at a much lower wind speed. A short time later they will shift back to the correct direction. I feel these two issues are probably related. Thanks for the help,Bill

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Hi Bill,1. We are fully aware of the winds aloft issue in FSX and we are working on this for SP2.2. Some see OVC all the time andfor some it comes and goes. Try increasing the cloud layer slider to 20 and see if that makes a difference.Thanks,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

>Hi Bill,>>1. We are fully aware of the winds aloft issue in FSX and we>are working on this for SP2.>>2. Some see OVC all the time andfor some it comes and goes.>Try increasing the cloud layer slider to 20 and see if that>makes a difference.>>Thanks,>Jim>Jim,I increased the slider to 20 with no effect. When I looked at the Advanced Custom weather settings, it showed the broken and overcast layer as reported on the METAR. In the Custom screen with the basic setup, that screen is only showing a scattered layer. For some reason this information is not transfering to the screen.Bill

Hi Bill,Is this every single time or did it happen once or something in between? Are you running SP1 of FSX and ASX?Were you located at the exact airport?Is FSX weather set to User Defined?If you chose Clear weather in FSX and then refresh ASX does the correct weather show up?Please let us know.Thanks,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

>Hi Bill,>>Is this every single time or did it happen once or something>in between? >>Are you running SP1 of FSX and ASX?>>Were you located at the exact airport?>>Is FSX weather set to User Defined?>>If you chose Clear weather in FSX and then refresh ASX does>the correct weather show up?>>>Please let us know.>>Thanks,>Jim>I am running SP1 for FSX and ASX.I am located at KDAL on the NW side. When I move the aircraft to KDFW (5 miles east) the weather appears to be correct. It almost appears that there is a bad weather station being reported, possibly KNBE (not in use). All stations in the KDFW/KDAL area should have had low ceilings and rain the past weekend (11/24-25).FSX is set to User Defined. The weather reported in User Defined appears close to the METAR. I have tried using Clear weather and Stormy weather in FSX and after the ASX refresh the weather goes bad to the same problem as before (partly cloudy, rain, and the sun shining).Bill

>Hi Bill,>>Thanks for the details! What happens now in that area? I just>want to see if it was bad data or something else, like that>not in use station.>>Thanks!>JimJim,The Advanced WX is showing Cirrus at 30,000 with 6/8 coverage. The ATIS is saying "No clouds below 20,000 and Vis greater than 20 miles." The METAR for KDAL is showing BKN300.When I look at the cloud cover it appears as a high broken layer (cirrus) with some stray CU at about 100. Looking at the XGauge, it shows some Blue airports and some Gray airports. All of the Gray airports do not have METAR reports. One of the airports is reported twice (KGKY/KF54) which is Arlington Muni. The KF54 is no longer a valid identifier for Arlington Muni and there is no METAR. There is a METAR for KGKY. Bill

>Hi Bill,>>That description you gave sounds right for those conditions.>>JimThat's because it's not a lot different from when it was suppose to be overcast and raining.Have you downloaded the 11-24-2007 at 18:00Z weather and moved an aircraft to KDAL to see what the weather looks like? I can manually load the weather and make it look like it should, but when ASX loads the weather, it does not look correct.Bill

Jim,I am starting to get very frustrated with ASX. The first problem was the cloud cover. Now I am having problems with tremedous wind shifts. On December 1 at about 16Z I tried three times to fly from KPIT to KPHL. Each time when passing approximately 11,000 the airspeed indicator pegged and the aircraft came apart. I finally had to use the FSX winds to complete the flight. Tonight when going from KCMH to KDAL at FL320 about 150 miles NW of LIT the winds go from 280@80 to 021@5 and then back to 280@80. Never during the whole flight have the winds been within 20 knots of the forecasted winds or 20 degrees of the forecasted direction. Bill

>>It is not our fault and we are doing everything humanly>possible to fix it.>I have installed SP2 and turned on "Enable Wind Smoothing" and the wind switching is still not fixed. Today at 2120Z about 20 miles west of LIT VOR at FL340 on a flight from KCMH to KDAL the wind switching returned. At first the wind switched back and forth rapidly and then became steady from the NE at about 60 knots. The winds should be from 270 at 70 kts. If this is not "our" fault as stated above, then whose fault is it?What do I do now? Bill