Sign in to follow this  
BlueStar

What Am I Doing Wrong in ASX

>Feel free to let Microsoft know about their SimConnect.dll and>the problems it is causing you.>>You can also try with Virtual Stations turned Off and see if>that helps.>Virtual Stations was turned off.Why do I want to contact Microsoft about "SimConnect.dll"? My problem is with ASX not performing properly. I did not buy ASX from Microsoft, I bought ASX from HiFi Simulations.It appears I have three options left concerning the winds aloft problem:1. Turn the winds aloft "off".2. Manually load the winds aloft.3. Uninstall ASX and just use FSX. Thanks,Bill

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Hi Bill,Do you realize that it is SimConnect that is the interface that is causing these winds problems and not ASX?We are working so very hard to solve this for everyone, not just sitting back and saying "Oh well, nothing we can do."So you are right, those are your options, while we continue to attempt to crack this nut. And we may never solve it completely, but we won't go down without a fight.If you use option 2 please know that when ASX updates, you will lose your manual settings.Thanks,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

Jim,After attempting to use ASX today on a local flight at KDAL, I have come to the conclusion that ASX does not work. The METAR at KDAL 32015G19 with of 36F (this is the weather for all of north Texas). The weather showing for KDAL using FSX (updated by ASX) is winds from the SE with a temperature of 53F. The weather showing on the Briefing screen in ASX is correct, but ASX does not appear to be able to get it to FSX. The winds were out of the SE yesterday and the temperature was about 53F for a low. I turned ASX off and updated the weather using FSX weather update and the weather in FSX is correct. Bill

Also make sure you have not enabled "theme" weather after ASX connects, as this disables FSX's ability to accept "external wx". You need to ensure you are on "Custom User-Defined" weather. ASX does this automatically on connection but if its changed afterwords (reloading a certain flight with theme wx, for example, or manually changing theme via FSX dialogs) it will disable ASX wx.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

>Hi Bill,>>I just flew around KDAL a bit and everything was correct. Have>you tried resetting ASX to default settings?>>Thanks,>Jim>I tried setting ASX to default. This helped some, but the "wind smoothing" had the winds at KDAL at 260/09 when the actuals are 350@11. The winds off 90 degrees is unacceptable. When I turn the "wind smoothing" off the 180/flip-flop returns. When I looked at the winds flip/floping on the FSX weather map it looked like a "minature" hurricane. Before I reset ASX to default, my only change was to "Dynamic Rate of Change" which was set at 25% instead of the default 50%. Is the 25% setting capable of causing the weather problems I was having? Am I expecting too much from ASX by thinking that the METAR and Winds Aloft shown from the NWS would be accurately reflected in ASX and FSX?Bill

Hi,In order to help prevent wind shifts, the data has to be smoothed to be made consistent without large directional changes.We use the flight plan cruise altitude (or default to 30K if no cruise altitude) as the base of "real data" to figure maximum "left" and "right" variations from this "real data". The surface winds are modified to remain within 30 degrees left or right (60 degrees total) of this "real data" baseline. Without applying this data smoothing (as well as all the other techniques), as you are experiencing, wind shifts will occur in greater frequency. We of course want users to be able to properly plan their flight considering data smoothing so we modify the weather and the METAR string along with placing a "RMK" showing how the surface winds were changed (from which original direction).Thus, when using wind smoothing you should consider the data provided by ASX vs. actual "real" forecast/observation data.Unfortunately there is no way to have the best of all worlds right now (accurate directions & reduced wind shifts), as FSX wind depiction of external weather is problematic. We're just trying to do all we can to address our user's concerns and make things as great as possible.We are of course taking all this input and using it to direct us as we continue to make things better.I'd also like to say to all that while it has sometimes been 'assumed' that solving the wind shifts in FSX is an easy feat (from various threads recently), consider that we have been working on this for over 2 years now with over 1000 man hours devoted to it. We have tried over 100 unique "solutions". Let it be known that even if you take the SAME direction and velocy of winds, and apply it GLOBALLY to ALL STATIONS, forcing this same wind value at the aircraft and everywhere else, you are still going to experience significant wind shifts and seemingly random directions. The problem is internal to FSX. Limiting the wind shifts therefor requires a huge investment of resources and time in trial and error trying all sorts of "outside the box" techniques. We realize SP2 isn't perfect, and we didn't promise perfect. We do however promise to continue doing all we can to make things better.Thanks for the feedback, please keep it coming..Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

>Hi Bill,>>Look at the KDAL METAR in ASX. Does yours say RMK SFCWINDDIR>CHANGED FROM 350 FOR SMOOTHING?>>Thanks,>Jim>Jim, I saw the smoothing in the METAR and am well aware that ASX changed the winds and that is my very point. The smoothing changed the wind direction almost 90 degrees.All I want is to be able to fly from point A to point B and experiece the weather conditions that are reflected in the current METAR and Winds Aloft. Bill

>Also make sure you have not enabled "theme" weather after ASX>connects, as this disables FSX's ability to accept "external>wx". You need to ensure you are on "Custom User-Defined">weather. ASX does this automatically on connection but if its>changed afterwords (reloading a certain flight with theme wx,>for example, or manually changing theme via FSX dialogs) it>will disable ASX wx.>>Best,My first step is to start ASX. Once ASX finishes processing the data, I start FSX from ASX. When FSX opens, it is in "Free Flight" with the default C172SP, the weather is "Real-world weather (updates)" and the "Current Time and Season" is the current system date and time. I do not start the simulator until the "ASX initial weather depiciton complete!" is displayed. At this point the WEATHER is in the "User-defined weather" mode. I do not use the theme feathers, just the current weather. Am I doing anything incorrectly?Bill

>Hi,>>Let it be known that even if you take the SAME direction and>velocy of winds, and apply it GLOBALLY to ALL STATIONS,>forcing this same wind value at the aircraft and everywhere>else, you are still going to experience significant wind>shifts and seemingly random directions. The problem is>internal to FSX. >>Then it appears that the wind shift can not be solved until Microsoft decides to change FSX or unless someone comes up with an unofficial solution to the problem. I have sufficient programing and math skills to speculate as to what the problem is and solutions. I have written several programs that calculate great circle routes and the associated wind triangles. I do not mind the wind shifts as long as they are what is accurately depicted in the METAR or Winds Aloft database. If a flight is going from DAL to SPS to AMA and the wind shift 90 degrees at SPS and 180 degrees at AMA, that is fine as long as that is what is what the winds are actually doing. It is the random shifts that are not forecasted in the actual data that is causing the problems. Bill

>Hi Bill,>>That is all correct. Did You read Damian's post about the>winds data?>>Thanks,>Jim>I have read Damian's post. The smoothing does not work well, especially at the destination where I have seen the winds off as much as 90 degrees on arrival. I have noticed that the problem with the wind shift tends to occur shortly after one of the NOAA reporting stations. A solution to the wind smoothing might be to use a weighted moving average of the winds to add more weight at destination and departure points to get the winds correct.Has anyone talked to the FSX developers and gotten an explanation as to why this problem is occuring from their prospective?I wish I had know about the winds aloft problem before I purchased ASX. I would have gone with the FS9 version instead.Bill

Hi Bii,Read the METAR remarks and see if we have adjusted the winds for destination.Oh, we have been in contact with ACES for close to 3 years now. We are under an NDA so I can't say more than that, but they have been most helpful, overall.Thanks,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/