Sign in to follow this  
peppy197

upper winds fixed in sp2?

at Fl190 it went from wind directions of 152 to 77 to 05 in the space of 5 minutesfixed?KFLL to FMCO noon taday, at KOOB 061325Z weatheral

Guest Temp

Hi Jim and everyone at HiFi. Last night, I downloaded the SP2 for ASX and took my first flight this morning. I'm afraid to say that I too experienced wind shifts like the poster above but more annoyingly as well was those darned "Over-speeds" are still there causing my flight from EGKK (London-Gatwick) to EGPF (Glasgow) Scotland to be thoroughly unpleasant. For me personally, ASX just cannot be used in conjunction with Radar Contact (RC4) because they certainly let you know when you've busted your altitude and/or not maintaining your proper speed. When climbing out of Gatwick (EGKK), I must stay at or below the 250 Knot speed rule below 10,000ft. I was pushed on climb out to 280 KIAS at one stage. During my flight, I busted my altitude three times in about 30 minutes. It would seem that nothing has changed. Not for me at least anyway.Best Regards.

Myself, I never used the winds aloft before, so my quick fix is to uncheck it in the settings works, but the smoothness is unatural.ELSEWISE the SP2 works nice, I like the visibilty graduation control.allen

Regarding the wind shifts if I may,I performed a quick test flight from KEWR - KPIT where the jetstream has been very active of late. I did import the flightplan into ASX.The winds aloft are greatly enhanced in SP2. I did not experience shear in the order of pre SP2 at any time during the flight. I did note a couple of moments where instantaneous changes of direction and velocity occurred but none greater than 15 degrees or 12 KTS. Although not perfect it is a feature that I can now select with a reasonable amount of confidence. Later tonight I will conduct a long haul flight from KDTW - RJAA and measure the results. Guarded optimism here.

Ryan Kelly

For feedback and research purposes, I almost completed my first SP2 flight in the PMDG-747X from Charleston up to Pittsburg this evening. The climb and cruise were uneventful and what I expected from SP2. The cruise showed a constant wind off the port-side around 277@97kts. Unfortunitly, during the VNAV descent, below about FL330, the shifts got so violent, it blew my VNAV profile from a couple of hundred low to almost 2K above the descent path. Twice I hit the stall and overspead markers and like the poster above, the RC controller was not pleased ;) Had I had a FSX version of FSPassengers, they would've been puking all over the isles.I was experiencing 120 to 180 degree shifts when transitioning what I beleive were major wind layers during this descent. The violent shifs occurred say about FL320, 270, 240, and about 180.This is with SP2 (1106) and the defaults plus the following adjustments:Maximum cloud layers - adjusted from 5 to 20Depict Hurricanes - CheckedCreate Virtual Stations - CheckedEnhance Route Covereage - CheckedI realy do appreciate the efforts put into SP2 and like I said, the climb and cruise were uneventful, the descent however, needs a little tweaking.Regards,

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

This is probably premature, but I did 1 test flight with SP2 last night, and got violent shifts in CRUISE at FL30, so I don't think it's limited to descent.However, I am going to play around with the settings and see what I can do. I will do more testing before I say much else about it.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest chpuig

Hi captains,I am perfoming my 2nd long haul flight in my Level-d with SP2. And I get consistent winds aloft. It is still a lil premature, I agree. But as Jim advised me last night on another thread, its very important to keep the defaults settings. Yesterday I messed up a lil with the settings and my first SP2 flight became a nightmare!Try to keep unchecked both :Create Virtual Stations and Enhance Route Covereage.I will report back later as I started my flight only 1h ago and still get 8h to go...As far everything goes smooth over Tennessee at FL330!Chris

Thanks for your input everyone.It is apparent that there is still room for improvement for a good percentage of users but the common theme for the majority certainly looks promising with a marked improvement.Please continue sharing your input and experiences, as we are not done improving things... not by a longshot. Your feedback helps guide us from here to the next revision.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

It changed about four times during this 5 minutes and each time was a twist of the a/c, not natural IMHOIt was certainly not as creative as before sp2 :-)I was unaware teh wind could change from 020 degrees to 200 degrees in a couple thousand feet

First trip with SP2 and PMDG 747XRoute KIAD-EDDM SID SWANN - OOD - BOS - YQI - YQY - YYT -4850N 5140N 5330N 5420N - DOGAL - STU - KOK - BOMBI STARWinds forecast until BOS average 290/60 Actual 020/55 later 325/60further fcst to 240/45 - 55 act 300/50 to 275/65then big surprise from YQY it was as forecasted at 245/88 and it stayed at 240/88 with not a single deviation for the whole trip over the water ! I thought that I lost connection to ASX but the protocol showed wx update every 10 mins - meanwhile the forecast winds over the atlantic were supposed to be in the range of 145 to 160 kts after 5140N but it was fixed at 240/88 ! Then in the range of the Irish coast suddenly the winds came back to the forecast and absolutely correct !! Is there a problem with ASX over water ?About wind shifts - it was a clear improvement seen but shortly after OOD at FL350 I had wind shifts around the compass rose for about 1 minute and roughly 7 to 8 severe shifts within this 1 minute !! Later on no problems whatsoever !!Karl-Heinz - EDDI/THF " Tempelhof "" The mother of all airports " - Sir Norman Fosterhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181651.jpg

Guest cueceleches

Flew my first SP2 flight. From San Jose to KLAS @ 31.000ft. Consistent winds varying smoothly from 257

Hi Jim, if it was metar correct layers at opposite headings, which it may have been, there was absolutely no wind smoothing involved in the transition of the wind direction. No matter the degree of change, it would take only a second or two for the new wind direction to take affect thereby creating havoc to the descent path and quickly yawing the 747X 20 to 40 degrees and back.Since there were plenty of cloud layers around these shifts, would turning down "cloud turbulance" give me a more realistic profile? I mean, is max turbulance in the settings designed for a GA aircraft or something the size of the Queen?Another thought too; since I have FSUIPC registered, and assuming you're not changing any of its settings anymore because of simmconnect, are there any recommended settings within FSCUIC that HiFi recommends to work best with ASX? Hope this helps...

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

>at Fl190 it went from wind directions of 152 to 77 to 05 in>the space of 5 minutes>>fixed?>>KFLL to FMCO noon taday, at KOOB 061325Z weather>>alSounds like you broke thru a cold front. Its windy up there guys!! 180 degree windshifts are not uncommon.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

My first SP2 flight started far better than before, climb to cruise was completely uneventful. Once in the cruise all was settled and smooth until about 10 minutes into the cruise when I did get a wind shift, not as dramatic as before but enough to upset the a/t. The real issue came on final. Wind was as per Metar, 270/14 for a 23 approach when suddenly at 5 DME the wind completely and suddenly reversed to 050/04 which threw my approach completely and I've never seen that happen so close the airport prior to SP2! At 3 miles the wind reversed again back to where it should be which caused some interesting moments having already compensated for a slight tail wind and now getting a x-wind again.So, the jury is out on this one at the moment. More test flights required!

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg