Sign in to follow this  
peppy197

upper winds fixed in sp2?

Having completed my first long haul with SP2 I have a much different take on the effectiveness of wind smoothing. As others have noted, the severe shear still occur with the latest build. I noted several instances in cruise with a flight plan imported that catastrophic shear were experienced. The flight was completed only as a result of flying at much lower altitudes where the instability of "coffin corner" was absent and THRUST LIMIT set to MAX CON in the FMS. In other words, unattended flight is not recommended. Its a feature that I feel is greatly enhanced over the prior builds, yet needs further attention and refinement.

Ryan Kelly

More test flights are required . . . I did another one ( just crashed shortly before TOD - winds thru me off the sky - IAS at 380 kts then stall at 180 kts !! - wind smoothening ...)- same route KIAD-EDDM same routing, but with new wx of course . . .With nearly the same result -good and stable forecasted winds until it goes over the atlantic -same thing : fcst wind at 4850N 265/30 then 40W 235/135 at 30W 295/130until DOGAL - actual wind freezed to 325/65 all the way !!!I have the strong feeling that ASX does NOT recognize the position of the aircraft when flying with coordinates ( like 4850N ) or does ASX require another input like 48N050W ? With the known problem with PMDG FMC that the format 48N050W may cause some problems - or has this been fixed ? I did not try it recently . . .Winds came up again after DOGAL but not accdg forecast in the navlog !!QTE from MAIN PAGE ASX16:03:10: Manual Wx Refresh Requested....16:03:10: Refreshing Weather....16:03:10: Downloading global weather data for 07.12.2007 15:03:10 (15Z) from Secondary Server...16:03:14: Saving weather to disk16:03:35: Download complete16:03:35: Populating weather stream with new data...16:03:35: Parsing line items16:03:41: Processing route data...16:04:08: 7687 stations were scanned (397 did not provide recent data)16:04:08: Weather stream fully populated with new data16:04:16: Route data processed...16:04:30: Synthesis updated...UNQTE( I cannot copy and paste the updated data - is there a possibility ? )Now the big surprise : the updated winds do not show up in the 747X FMC !! The winds in the FMC are about 35 to 40 degrees off !!Forecast 275 actual 310 to 315 !! The speeds are indentical !!How can that be ? Perhaps Jim or Damian can explain how the winds are imported into the 747X FMC . . .Karl-Heinz - EDDI/THF " Tempelhof "" The mother of all airports " - Sir Norman Fosterhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

One thing I noticed last night was, with the wind smoothing checked, the upper level winds were almost THE SAME for every station, worldwide. ?? Almost all 280/80.I noted this with interest...I will make further observations when I get time. :) I'm going to have a busy weekend putting in an exhaust fan in my attic though, probably not much flying.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Hi Al,Thanks for the information. Yes, there should be some smoothing between layers.Max. turbulence is for the Queen in your example, but should not cause wind shifts.No, because I don't believe there is any dialog between ASX and FSUIPC.Thanks,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

I think the phrase "smoothing between layers" may not bet suitable in this case; it is misleading, as one expects.... "smoothing" YET, what is rendered, and in good measure, is a reduction in abruptness of data change between layers. I do think that most here are aware that there is no way under FSX's heaven that programmers can replicate, or rather accomodate, a multitude of minute transitional increments approaching a "smooth" ride....so the data is cropped to minimize absurdity, but it cannot by the nature of the FSX engine be elliminated?or something like thatal

Guest chpuig

Hi,yesterday, thanks to SP2, I did my first cross the pond flight in Fsx (using aloft winds) from the US to Europe without losing my vnav on the Level-d. I want to say a big big thx to Damian and all the team who, as always, has done an incredible work for SP2!Yes I had wind shifts, yes its not perfect. But as stated Damian, there is still alot of work to do and the future will provide more and more accuracy in weather depiction.I love to do real flights and with the help of flightaware last night I did one from KDFW to LFPG. It was a real pleasure for the first time in Fsx to follow the real AAL48 with accuracy. We had the same winds aloft and getting the same ground speed on the FMC.Keep the good work guys, ASX rocks!!Christian

It may be that disruptive transitions are not a universal artifact in ASX.I just completed a flight from Tampa to KNEW without much variations in wind at FL310 while asc and descending, and in level flight. It varied slightly along the path but never once did I notice any abrupt twisting like before in a different flight.So things may be OK after all,I add that the flight was a dream, with not a single instance of bizarre visibility extremes, everything went wuite smooth with only some stepping through the diff vis. I was not bored throughout the flight, whereas before, I'd get annoyed when all of a sudden I had unlimited vis then haze, then unlimited...allen

Agreed Peppy, they don't happen everywhere. I've now done 5 decent flights with SP2 and some of them have been completely uneventful "upstairs". So far I've done: EGPF-EGSS (LDS 767X) - nasty wind shifts and wind reversal on finalEGPF-EGGW (Wilco A319) - smooth as silk cruise, QNH a country mile wrong on approach (1006mb v 987mb)ENGM-EGPF - (Wilco A320) Nice cruise, one or two wind shifts but not violent. Winds were completely wrong at destination, 275 degrees when should have been 050 degreesBIKF-EGBB - (LDS 767X) Suspicous CTD climbing through FL270, my first ever CTD with FSX. Restarted and cruise absolutely fine, a few subtle shifts, nothing nasty. Approach winds fine.LOWI-EGSS - (Wilco A320) 100% the whole way barring the QNH on arrival being 5mb too high

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

Geeee how can you fly without Ultimate Terrain X for Europe (Im in a holding pattern north of Iceland until Then)allen

Hi All,Thanks so much for the continued feedback, positive and not so positive. It does look like many times things are working as designed, but other times there are wild shifts. Everyone knows that we are still on this!Thanks again,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

On a more positive note Jim - the cloud depiction is now nothing less than stunning! The graduations climbing up through the layers is now awesome, fingers crossed on getting both wind and pressure smoothing to match!

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg