Sign in to follow this  
peppy197

upper winds fixed in sp2?

Hello all,KLAX-NZAA in a PMDG 744.Beautifully smooth on the way up and at cruise however descent and landing were a different story with IAS yo-yoing between 320kts and 195kts in a matter of seconds. Winds on approach were a nightmare.I know there ahs been a huge amount of effort put into SP2 but unfortunately things do not seem to have improved for me in the one area I was hoping :( However, I will keep trying flights to see if there are any determining factors.Out of interest, are the developers seeing these issues when they run ASX or is it only something that certain people started reporting when ASX was released?Dan.

>Hello all,>>KLAX-NZAA in a PMDG 744.>>Beautifully smooth on the way up and at cruise however descent>and landing were a different story with IAS yo-yoing between>320kts and 195kts in a matter of seconds. Winds on approach>were a nightmare.>>I know there ahs been a huge amount of effort put into SP2 but>unfortunately things do not seem to have improved for me in>the one area I was hoping :(>>Out of interest, are the developers seeing these issues when>they run ASX or is it only something that certain people>started reporting when ASX was released?I just completet HECA-EGLL in a A350 with no probs from FL 370.I wonder if its CPU core related. I havent had most of the probs seen in this forum and I'm running an older single core.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

>I wonder if its CPU core related. I havent had most of the>probs seen in this forum and I'm running an older single>core.>I am running a single core and I have gotten violent wind shifts on every upper level flight (which is only two flights...) I've done so far with SP2.Perhaps it is region specific in terms of not many stations? I am flying in the Middle East right now. Perhaps I need to uncheck Virtual Stations and just let the actual stations govern what gets into the sim?Here's my SP2 flight list and what happened:OMDB --> OKBK (default A321) great up until last part of the cruise; then violent wind shifts over the northern persian gulf. Cruised at FL34OKBK --> OIII (SGA DC-10-30F) wind shifts within 1 minute after takeoff from Kuwait City; then the rest of the flight all excellent! ?? Cruised at FL31OIII --> OERK (default A321) good first part of flight; then over northern persian gulf, n saudi arabia, wind shifts at cruise altitude. Cruised at FL36OERK --> OEJB (Eaglesoft Twin Comanche) great flight all around, no wind shifts at all. Cruised at 9000 feet.Sometimes I notice gradual shifting, which is good, and I can see the program incrementing speed and direction. But other times it seems like the data it's getting it doesn't know how to handle.Maybe I need to try a flight in the US, where there are more reporting stations (hence a finer grain of data).RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>Maybe I need to try a flight in the US, where there are more>reporting stations (hence a finer grain of data).>>Rhett>>AMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS>A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150>gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb>5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster PraetorianHmmm. I see your setup is closer to mine then I've seen on here. Im running all this on a 2400+ XP 2ghz. 2Gb Kingston PC2100, Geoforce 7600 GS OC'd to 504 Mhz 512MB. Asus A7V8X-X. 7 Drives too many to list (grin).Anyhow I do alot of flying along the eastern seaboard and so far has seemed pretty stable. I have an unattended Level-D flight going on right now just to see what happens from KEWR-ESSA as I flew this IRL 8 years ago when I moved here. When I woke up so far so good.Had an interesting flight 2 days ago in a Mooney Bravo from PAPB-PADU. 0 visibilty in snow w/40mph gusts. Was getting kicked around from left to right the whole way but the gusts and kicks were very very smooth compared to SP 1.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Forgot to mention I dont run enhanced route or virtual stations either but I do have wind smoothing, Vis grad and foglayer enabled. Also Skyscape and skyscape

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Hi all,Installed SP2 and I experienced wind shifts "as usual" with Virtual Station option set to on.Once switched it off situation has greatly improved! Not shifts on Cruise FL but only few ones on my descending path...One more question: should SP2 have fixed the so called "Overcast Issue"?I still believe my ASX's weather deciption on bad weather situations is not as real as ... it should be...ThanksNick

>Hi all,>Installed SP2 and I experienced wind shifts "as usual" with>Virtual Station option set to on.>Once switched it off situation has greatly improved! Not>shifts on Cruise FL but only few ones on my descending>path...>I am going to try with Virtual Stations OFF and see what happens.>One more question: should SP2 have fixed the so called>"Overcast Issue"?>I still believe my ASX's weather deciption on bad weather>situations is not as real as ... it should be...>Thanks>Nick What's to fix?I get pretty convincing overcasts with ASX+FEX.Much better than stock FSX.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

>>What's to fix?>>I get pretty convincing overcasts with ASX+FEX.>>Much better than stock FSX.>>RhettRhett,please take a look here: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchand here: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchand again: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchBut you better search on the HiFi forum under "overcast" to obtain plenty more...CiaoNick

I am aware of all of those threads, in fact I am probably in some of them :) I am saying, that on my system, I am getting convincing overcasts using FEX and ASX set to 7 cloud layers max.I think part of the OVC issues people see are:1) overexpectations as to what FSX can physically do2) bad settingsRhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

Rhett,what is FEX you mention?Can you pls list your settings in order to double-check mine?ThanksNick

Hi,two things...1) what program made that map?2) for HiFi: what is the source of upper wind data? Unisys? Accuweather? I ask because I'd like to know how you are determining upper air wind speeds for overwater portions of a flight like Karl is describing. What what is described above, there are no upper-air updates overwater and the last land-based station report is used until the aircraft is in proximity to a new land-based station. Is this correct?Thanks,Jeff

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Thanks for the reply.Are these sources a trade secret? Do they cost money? Do you know of any free sources of upper air data?Thanks,Jeff

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

I am getting some very bad wind shifting at altitude during the cruise as well.. Throwing the PMDG 747X around all over the place... I'm even getting into overspeed and near stall.. This cannot be right..I've got SP2 installed in ASX.. Perhaps someone could tell me what settings to use so I can get rid of this problem for the time being while it's looked into?CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL