Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

VOR/LOC USEABLE DISTANCE INCREASE?

Is there a way to increase the distance of the ILS and VOR DME service distances? It seems Microsoft has used the general useable distances listed in the AIM(Airmans Information Manual) for programming purposes.Any help would be appreciated.Chuck

The distances in the AIM are Service Volume Limits.I believe there is a program in the Avsim library that can do stuff like that but I wouldnt change NAVAID ditances at all.Please understand that there are thousands of VOR,NDB,ILS,LOC and to expect them to get it all right is asking to much.Regaurds

Guest Smiley

Why would you want to ?GPS can help you navigate direct between those two points. What are you trying to do ?Just curious :)

This very topic makes me smile since it arises with multi-$ flight simulators also. Its amusing since I use to hear from pilots, "Well, we always get coverage from that TACAN station well over 60miles. How come we don't in the flight simulator?". My answer, "Yes, I know real life does some strange and wonderful things. I remember listening to some radio stations from Chicago, IL and I was in Key West, FL. I remember listening to taxicabs in the Far East and I was sitting in a hover with the sonar dome at 500ft off the East Coast of the United States. Raising and lower the dome caused tuning of the HF antenna on the aircraft." They usually went away muttering, "@#%* engineers!!!".

>>The distances in the AIM are Service Volume Limits. >>I believe there is a program in the Avsim library that can >do stuff like that but I wouldnt change NAVAID ditances at >all. >>Please understand that there are thousands of >VOR,NDB,ILS,LOC and to expect them to get it all right is >asking to much. >>>Regaurds I don't think I'm asking too much to see if it is POSSIBLE to extend the distance useage of SOME navaids. I understand that each nav station whether LOC,VOR,NDB has its own peculiarities, and I would hope that future versions of this sim would take this under account, or let the end user have the chance to manipulate a certain navaid. The ILS to RWY 25L Localizer and DME at LAX is good for at least 70 miles or so, since its required for the CIVET arrival, it would be nice to have it as accurate as possible. Now you may ask, "Well just use your GPS", I think the GPS is a crutch, I use RAW DATA for the challenge of it all. Try flying the CIVET arrival using the Iron Knuckle DC-9 or some similar "steam gauge" derivitive, and you'll have to stay sharp on raw data useage. Fly SafeChuck

>You could try using EasyNavs en2k400.zip to modify the >NAVAIDS. Hey thanks! I just downloaded it, and I'll give it a try!Thanks Again & Merry Christmas!Chuck B.