Sign in to follow this  
Didier DUBREUILH

Average Wind Speed and Direction in AsX Briefing Page

Hi There,In As v6.5 there is a very interesting feature : after entering a flight plan we got Average wind speed and Direction in the Nav Log.This was very useful for the computation of fuel to board especially on a Jet Liner like 737 or 747.Unfortunately this feature has disapeared in AsX, there is no mention of average wind in the briefing page.It would be a very good suggestion to add this feature with the next SP. Is this possible ?Kind regardsDidier DUBREUILH

I asked that same exact question last June and Damian indicated he was looking into it. I was looking for this average the other day and noticed it was still missing as well.This averaging of planned flight level winds is important to big-irons FMC, and fuel calculations.Original thread from this forum here:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=search

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Hi Al,So sorry, I didn't see your previous msg.I also thought that this feature would be added to this SP...disapointed !I absolutely agree with you this feature is very important for fuel calculations especially for liners.I have a question : are you happy with wind smoothing in FsX when you are flying high altitude ?Kind regards.Didier DUBREUILH

Only two flights so far with ASX sp2. I posted bad results on the first one, but I did a second flight without virtual stations and route smoothing. Very nice flight with no sudden wind swings, but he coverage seemed to be lacking. I'm going to try again with just route-smoothing turned on and see if that fills in some of the areas.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest chpuig

Hi Al and Didier,Since SP2 I did alot of long haul flights with the Level-d with very nice results. It is very important to keep unchecked both Create Virtual Stations and Enhance Route Coverage and keep checked Wind Smoothing. In fact you can keep the defaults settings.Last night I did a flight between Atlanta and Santiago in Chile, the ETA in the briefing page was 08h50' and I made it in 8h59'! Very smooth flight and good timing. I did the flight at the same time as the real one from DAL147. We arrived at the same time lol!!And for Damian, there is only 2 lil things that I hope he will advance on : the CAVOK depiction (still a lil too much haze) and the average aloft winds in the briefing page (as it was in ASV6) for our FMC programmation and fuel calculation.Bravo and congrats guys for this incredible job you do since years for our passion.MerciChris

Hi Al and Chris,I asked this Wind Smoothing question because I have flown my PMDG 747-400X only one time for a flight LFPO/DAAG ETE about two hours.This flight was horrible with very frequent wind swings (both speed and direction) giving overspeed or terrible slowdown !So I thank you very much for sharing your experience and I will try to set AsX without virtual stations and enhance route coverage and I will let you know what happen.I also have flown two parts of the VFR IVAO WT2007 and I have been extremely happy with wind smoothing. Perhaps this is because due to cloud coverage I have had to fly between 1000 ft and 3500 ft AGL maximum.Two parts of this VFR WT2007 represent more than 110 legs !I also totally agree with you and we have to encourage Damian, Jim and all the team to pursue their job in improving these incredible pieces of software and in addition to create others like XPlanner... Kind RegardsDidier DUBREUILH

Done! E-mail contents include:In AS6 and earlier we had a total (averaged) winds and speed line at the end of the NavLog. This information is not in ASX. It is very import to regain some level of this functionality in the next ASX SP as this information in necessary in long-haul flights and fuel calculations. Obviously, previous functionality should not be lost in an updated version of a given piece of software. For example. just give me another row of winds/spd as a last line on the briefing page for each FL. Have it average the winds and speed for that flight level (column) from all the waypoints above the average line. That way, I have the average for multiple flight FL's along my planned route, which will allow me to choose and/or adjust the desired FL for the filed FP or calculate enroute changes. 6K 9K 12K 18K 24K etc...WP1 000/10 000/10 000/10 000/10 000/10 etc...WP2 180/20 180/20 180/20 180/20 180/20 etc... AVG 090/15 090/15 090/15 090/15 090/15 etc.. Al Jordan

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE