Sign in to follow this  
downscc

ASX Report vs WX Config Differences

What's going on with the major differences between info presented on Reports page and WX Config page for same station at same time?I'm using Build 1106 with FSX SP2 in a PMDG 744X KORD-KIAH FL370. Wind smoothing, virtual sta and enhance route are all OFF. During the departure and lower level climb things were okay, then severe and sudden shifts climbing through FL300. I paused the sim and took notes:The ASX WX Briefing for RBS gives winds of 235/119 in the NAVLOG and the Winds Aloft by Fix provides 219/129 @ FL340, 235/119 @ FL39030nm NNE of RBS VOR nearest WX Sta KIKK with Dec15 2122Z WX at FL300:ASX Report for KIKK indicates 213/12ASX WX Config page for KIKK indicates 221/139Aircraft ND indicates variable from 260-320 at 114-126 ktsFSX WX Page current conditions indicate 229/128A few minutes later in smooth air over RBS VOR at FL370 nearest WX Sta KTIP:ASX Report for KTIP indicates 219/12 @ FL340, 235/11 @ FL390ASX WX Config page for KTIP indicates 235/119 @ 340, 246/77 @ FL390Aircraft ND indicates 229/121FSX WX Page current conditions indicate 239/121My question is why does the WX Report info vary significantly in wind velocity from all other sources (including what the aircraft experiences)? I've noticed this before but I'm trying to understand the wind shift problem and gotta start with the data I have available.Thanks,

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi Dan,From Damian:Hi,In order to help prevent wind shifts, the data has to be smoothed to be made consistent without large directional changes.We use the flight plan cruise altitude (or default to 30K if no cruise altitude) as the base of "real data" to figure maximum "left" and "right" variations from this "real data". The surface winds are modified to remain within 30 degrees left or right (60 degrees total) of this "real data" baseline. Without applying this data smoothing (as well as all the other techniques), as you are experiencing, wind shifts will occur in greater frequency. We of course want users to be able to properly plan their flight considering data smoothing so we modify the weather and the METAR string along with placing a "RMK" showing how the surface winds were changed (from which original direction).Thus, when using wind smoothing you should consider the data provided by ASX vs. actual "real" forecast/observation data.Unfortunately there is no way to have the best of all worlds right now (accurate directions & reduced wind shifts), as FSX wind depiction of external weather is problematic. We're just trying to do all we can to address our user's concerns and make things as great as possible.We are of course taking all this input and using it to direct us as we continue to make things better.I'd also like to say to all that while it has sometimes been 'assumed' that solving the wind shifts in FSX is an easy feat (from various threads recently), consider that we have been working on this for over 2 years now with over 1000 man hours devoted to it. We have tried over 100 unique "solutions". Let it be known that even if you take the SAME direction and velocy of winds, and apply it GLOBALLY to ALL STATIONS, forcing this same wind value at the aircraft and everywhere else, you are still going to experience significant wind shifts and seemingly random directions. The problem is internal to FSX. Limiting the wind shifts therefor requires a huge investment of resources and time in trial and error trying all sorts of "outside the box" techniques. We realize SP2 isn't perfect, and we didn't promise perfect. We do however promise to continue doing all we can to make things better.Thanks for the feedback, please keep it coming..Best,Damian ClarkJimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

On this subject, I use ASX when flying on Vatsim. Now, at cruise it isn't a problem that the winds are modified as far as I'm concerned and the smoothing is wonderful BUT it can of course cause a problem Vatsim-wise if the wind direction is incorrect on the ground. Question - how does the new smoothing fix affect the surface wind if I have enabled "Vatsim downloads"? Does it work in the same way that it modifies the cruise wind and applies it to the surface or will it accept the Vatsim data as-is when on the ground? Obviously the latter would be preferable to ensure I'm getting the same weather as other a/c, controllers etc.

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

I've read this explanation before. My question is not about smoothing; rather, I am specifically asking about the wind data presented on the Report page, which is markedly different from the data found in the WX Config page for the same reporting station and the wind presented by FSX.In my example, I have wind smoothing off, no route enhancement and no virtual stations. I'm flying along nicely and note that the winds are SW at about 120 kts. When I look at the ASX Report for the closest station it reports the winds as SW at about 12 kts.This doesn't make sense so I check the same station in the WX Config page and it's wind indication is the same as I'm experiencing.Why are the winds "Reported" only 10% of the actual winds??The briefing navigation log, the WX Config and the sim environment have 120 kt winds, the Report page has 12 kts (it's not always exactly 10% but the velocities are always markedly different).You explanation deals with wind direction, my question is strictly wind velocities.

Dan Downs KCRP

Somehow we're not communicating.The Report page is giving velocities that are way out of the ballpark, and are different from what is actually being played in the sim and presented elsewhere in the ASX application.Smoothing is turned off.The ASX Nav Log says winds are 120 kts.The ASX WX Config page says winds are 120 kts.The FSX simulation says winds are 120 kts.But, the ASX Report data says 12 kts.I hope we can focus on this issue alone. Thanks.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi Dan,See if this is it. Find winds over 100 knots again. I pulled up KJFK. Look at your Report screen and look at the 24K and above winds. What I see is that the 3rd digit of the wind speed gets sent to a new line between the direction/speed and the temperature. So at a glance it looks like winds are only being reported at 10%, but we run out of room for the 3rd digit. Is this it?Thanks!Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

Where did those digits come from? I've looked at that screen dozens of times and never noticed the overflow before. Kinda jumps out like a snake after you pointed it out. Yes indeed, this answers my question. Thanks.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest Luuker

Could the HIFI team possibly recommend settings for:A. Long Haul Flight of 3 or 4 hours plus, across multiple stations?B. Short Ops, within range of one or two stations?C. FSUIPC, wind smoothing on or off?Thanks

Guest Luuker

JimPerhaps the wrong thread, however, related to the topic...With SP2 installed, the actual winds are quite similar to the forecast, then after a period of about 30 mins to 60 mins, ASX appears to stop talking with FSX, the winds wonder around aimlessly, often 180 degrees incorrectly?I thought this may be a norton issue, but the ASX weather engine is in my allow list of communications.I have wind smoothing turned off, as I am striving for accuracy over large sectors.It is particularly annoying, as it throws fuel burn planning figures out the window.This problem was also apparent in SP1.Support Appreciated.

Guest Luuker

Further to that, it seems, even when re starting ASX the weather is inaccurate and wonders aimlessly. Switching FSX weather to " weather themes " .... " Clear Skies ", then restarting ASX seems to re introduce accurate weather for 30 - 60 mins before it stops working again?

Hi,Without wind smoothing the problem described here will be even worse. Basically, FSX has a problem handling layers and after a while it completely looses data consistency. Without smoothing more layers (approximately 12) are injected. FSX creates spurious layers in duplicate at a particular altitudes and when the limit is reached upper altitude data is lost.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies