Hi,what is wrong with the wind data ?loaded KSFO-KBOS and got a wind forecast at FL 350 ALL THE WAY at 121 rpt 121 DEGREES with one exception where the wind was at 286 for 39 miles . . .The official wind map from aviationweather.gov shows a clear westerly wind situation!Just to be sure I loaded KLAX-KJFK and got for nearly the same routea wind with 151 and 181 degrees alternating also with one exception of 286 degrees . . . Just now ( 11:55 Z ) the wind for KSFO-KBOS changed to mainly 181 deg and sometimes 151 degsomething is really messed up . . . just loaded PANC-KLAS and the winds look weird - always 181 or 211 or 121 degreesKarl-Heinz - EDDI/THF " Tempelhof "" The mother of all airports " - Sir Norman Fosterhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

From Damian:Hi,In order to help prevent wind shifts, the data has to be smoothed to be made consistent without large directional changes.We use the flight plan cruise altitude (or default to 30K if no cruise altitude) as the base of "real data" to figure maximum "left" and "right" variations from this "real data". The surface winds are modified to remain within 30 degrees left or right (60 degrees total) of this "real data" baseline. Without applying this data smoothing (as well as all the other techniques), as you are experiencing, wind shifts will occur in greater frequency. We of course want users to be able to properly plan their flight considering data smoothing so we modify the weather and the METAR string along with placing a "RMK" showing how the surface winds were changed (from which original direction).Thus, when using wind smoothing you should consider the data provided by ASX vs. actual "real" forecast/observation data.Unfortunately there is no way to have the best of all worlds right now (accurate directions & reduced wind shifts), as FSX wind depiction of external weather is problematic. We're just trying to do all we can to address our user's concerns and make things as great as possible.We are of course taking all this input and using it to direct us as we continue to make things better.I'd also like to say to all that while it has sometimes been 'assumed' that solving the wind shifts in FSX is an easy feat (from various threads recently), consider that we have been working on this for over 2 years now with over 1000 man hours devoted to it. We have tried over 100 unique "solutions". Let it be known that even if you take the SAME direction and velocy of winds, and apply it GLOBALLY to ALL STATIONS, forcing this same wind value at the aircraft and everywhere else, you are still going to experience significant wind shifts and seemingly random directions. The problem is internal to FSX. Limiting the wind shifts therefor requires a huge investment of resources and time in trial and error trying all sorts of "outside the box" techniques. We realize SP2 isn't perfect, and we didn't promise perfect. We do however promise to continue doing all we can to make things better.Thanks for the feedback, please keep it coming..Best,Damian ClarkJimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

Hi Jim,thanks for fast reply, but . . .this was not the question !I am talking about winds aloft and NOT station wx, where you can find RMK's - actually what I don't understand anyway.Today the SFO wx showed at grd 27500kt which is not used in aviation but CALM and you changed it from 000 ( ??? ) and fcst says 12005 - again what a mess . . .by the way at 15:10z the winds aloft for KSFO-KBOS are normal and match the official fcst !Suggestion : if you are still testing ( OK and appreciated by the user ) do it on a test server ! Karl-Heinz - EDDI/THF " Tempelhof "" The mother of all airports " - Sir Norman Fosterhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

When SP2 first came out I tried Wind Smoothing on a KLAX-KJFK trip. The surface winds in the LA basin were SE due to a front. I ended up with SE winds at FL370 across the continent instead of the West tailwind at 100+ kts that I should of picked up past KLAS. That was the last time I used wind smoothing.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi,Your question was why doesn't the ASX wind data match up with real weather reports and the note from Damian explains why we are adjusting the winds data. This includes ground and winds aloft data. When we adjust the ground data we do add to the RMK section so that users can know that the data has been adjusted.What a mess? Well, please let Microsoft know about SimConnect and how it handles any weather data. The number of programming and testing hours we have spend on this is unbelievable.I am really not sure what a test server would accomplish.Thanks,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

Karl Heinz: I've got a test I'm trying.. first tried it yesterday with a 744X KORD-KIAH without wind smoothing. I don't know yet if it works: When FSX starts mindlessly wandering (it is a FSX problem that ASX is trying to overcome) I open the ASX WX Configurator screen, check the data, reset the range to something > 10sm and force it into FSX with the Apply Weather button. The simconnect latency prevents me from knowing if it works yet, but I'll keep on trying different things until either I find something or FSXI comes out. Too bad FSX is still using the same basic weather engine as FS9 and now with simconnect the fixes that used to work via FSUIPC are gone.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi all,Part of the problem here is that ASX SP2 is using the first location it finds as the source of data for smoothing reference.When you startup ASX, the location last seeked via the map or report screen will be used as the reference.Thus, if the starting seek point is a location 1/2 way around the world, then you fire up FSX at the different far-off location, the reference is wrong.To get around this in in the immediate short term, you can set your seek station by simply pulling up a report or seeking via map screen, then restart ASX, so the reference is set appropriately.In the not-so immediate but still short term, we will have an update out that is much more intuitive as to how the initial references are set and controlled, and properly automatically sets based on initial FS location or flight plan departure location. We're about to start the beta on that within days.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Hi all,we are still talking on two different frequencies . . .I am talking about the navlog 171150Z with following winds :KLAX to LAS 181/55to FREDD 151/53to LMN 181/60at JAVAS 151/78at ALBRT 294/80MZV 151/79JOT 181/55GIJ to CRL14 151/40BUYKK 293/44DORET to MUNCI 181/55SWANK to LVZ 121/67and the rest to KJFK 181/75Apparently you have tested something which went wrong . . . two hours later the winds were first part at 300/50-70then for abt 900 nm 275/45-55and for the rest 290/45 which matches the official wx situationI checked several other routings and always the wind directions had a 1 ( one ) as third digit with very few exceptions and heavy differences to the official weather !Actually I don't understand all this about simconnect etc. and to overcome this I will switch back to XP and FS9 and AS6.5 during the holidays and continue my flying there . . . without all this stress with wrong winds . . .Karl-Heinz - EDDI/THF " Tempelhof "" The mother of all airports " - Sir Norman Fosterhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

I did it again . . .at 1500Z downloaded KSFO-KBOS and got after SLC ALL winds at ALL altitudes at 262 degrees !!!! with slightly different wind speeds.During flight preparation - flightplan and fuel calculation - I noticed this and requested a manual wx refresh at 1520Z and everything was back to normal again and winds show up accdg present wind situation . . . very funny and frustrating !Karl-Heinz - EDDI/THF " Tempelhof "" The mother of all airports " - Sir Norman Fosterhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

Hi Karl,We have implemented some improvements here and are about to start beta testing the next update for ASX. Thanks for the reports and feedback, it has really helped.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies