Sign in to follow this  

Ot-need help on copying to clipboard

I have a friend who is trying to copy the screen to the clipboard to put in a paint program. When he hits the "print screen" button his printer starts printing-doing this on my computer causes the screen to be copied to the clipboard. He has windows me-any advise on how to copy the screen to the clipboard without printing?-is there a setting somewhere.Thanks.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.jpg

Guest sgreenwood

Geof,Has this just started recently? (Any new software installed?)While this may not be a solution, he might try installing and running a screen capture program such as fsscreen.* If this software works correctly, he will have screen images to work with until the problem is resolved.* If he is really lucky, when he exits the screen capture program, it may even return the printscrn functionality to the correct mode of operation.Seems worth a try.Regards,Stevewww.fs-traveler.com

I'm the guy that cannot save internet downloaded pdf files to my computer.Shift-print no good. Everything I do seems to bring up the printer screen. I tried this capture download for ME but cannot find the camera icon they say initiates the promt to capture a pdf file:http://tucows.mundofree.com/winme/preview/138152.htmlany thoughts?steve wagner

Guest sgreenwood

Hi Steve,>cannot save internet downloaded pdf files to my computerThis is a very different issue from using PrintScreen to save an image of the screen.To save a pdf file, you have two choices:* instead of clicking on the link to the file, Right-Click on the link to bring up the context menu, then select "Save Link Target As". This will open the familiar File Save dialog where you can specify where to save the file on your PC. You do not need to have Acrobat installed to save the file, but you will need it to read the saved file.* if you do click the link and have Adobe Acrobat installed, it should download and display the file. If so, you can then use the Adobe Acrobat "File-Save As" menu to save it. (Be sure you select the Acrobat File menu and not the browser File menu.)Hope this helps.Steve

Thanks for the reply. Your second suggestion does not work. The upper command bar (Internet Explorer) "File" - "Save As" is non-highlightable. The second command bar down from the top of the page (presumably the Adobe menu) has an icon that is a picture of a 31/2 inch floppy disc that brings up the "Save As" window. I command to save (in "Maps" folder of "oziexplorer" program) as a *.pdf file. There appears to be a pdf file with the * name attached to it when viewed thru the windows menu system, but when initiating the desktop oziexplorer program and trying "Load and Calibrate Image Map File", the pdf no longer exists in the "Open" file window. Going back to the "Maps" folder within "oziexplorer" via my hard disc, right clicking on the pdf, shows it to be an "Adobe Acrobat Document" of aboout 153 Kbit size.I do not understand your first suggestion:* instead of clicking on the link to the file, Right-Click on the link to bring up the context menu...what does this mean?thanks again,steve wagner

Guest sgreenwood

I think we need to start over from the beginning. It sounds like you already have a map on your PC, in pdf format, which you want to use with "oziexplorer". But it cannot use the map in the pdf format. So the original post was for help with PrintScrn, which would save the map visible on the screen (using Adobe Acrobat) in a digital format you could then process in Paint, before loading into "oziexplorer".If my understanding is reasonably accurate, then your problem is to convert the map from pdf format into one "oziexplorer" can use. Is this correct?Otherwise, can you provide more details about just what you are trying to accomplish.Steve

You are exactly correct! :-) He is trying to convert a .pdf image (approach plate) into a .jpg to use in moving map software.Hitting "print screen" takes a screen shot in xp-it does not seem to in me. So I guess the question is -does he need a screen shot program or is there a way to push a key in me and copy the image to the clipboard.Thanks...http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.jpg

Yes, I think that is what I am trying to do - find a way to save pdf files off the internet and convert them to a form that oziexplorer can use.The reason why I'm interested in doing this is that most free approach plate and airport diagram web sites use the pdf format and these tend to be the clearest images. The one gif site I could find has poor images, yet it is easy to save the images and put them into oziexplorer without haveing to print them and then rescan them into a different format.This is my last note to Geofa: I got a couple programs from nonags. None seem to support pdf formats or their conversion. I can clip and save the desktop pdf image, but not the whole plate (because they are larger than the screen). Zooming out, then snapping a photo of the screen destroys the resolution of the pdf - it's much better to scan the image after printing it. This is an inconvenience, but works. Not much of an option if I'm not at home and I want to put new maps or plates into the iPAQ. Regardless, I do not think oziexplorer can read pdf formats, so saving them off the internet is really moot, unless I can get a conversion program (convert the pdf to bmp, jpg, etc..). You know of any?When one tries to "Load and calibrate Map Image" in oziexplorer, an "open" pop up window appears, with "files of type" preset to various file versions not including pdf. If I force the drop down of "files of type" to read "all files", I then see the pdf files appear in the large window above. But when you choose one, oziexplorer will open up to a blank and not read them.

Guest sgreenwood

This is an interesting problem, but not one I have experience with. I just tried the demo version (adds a watermark; $44.95 for full version) of http://batch.fcodersoft.com/udc/index.htm which installs as a printer driver. It does work but initial results were not great. More tweaking of driver parameters may help.There are numerous conversion programs listed in a Google search for "convert pdf images". Perhaps someone else can provide more specific guidance.Adobe Acrobat 5.0 seems to include the ability to save included images, but the list price is about $250.Good luck,Steve

I've installed the full Adobe Acrobat (5.0). In it is the option to "save as" any of a number of file types, including JPG. This is recognized by the oziexplorer and thus provides a mechanism for direct loading (after calibrating) of PDF files off the internet and onto one's iPAQ.The above 2 sites I mentioned require the purchase of a program that apparently duplicates capabilities already inherent in Adobe Acrobat.