I just cant get ASX to work right... I just completed a flight from the Phoenix area to Denver. Weather is horrible nearly the whole way. According to the METARS (as viewed in ASX) it was overcast skies the entire way... Of course if you were in my plane it appeared to be clear skies (see attached) screen shot.Then when I am coming in for landing, i get past the outer marker and I can see the field fine, then when I pass a certain magic altitude (which was about 500 feet AGL) visibility goes instantly from an unrealistic miles, to what the metar said (1/4 mile). Naturally this screwed up my landing.I then restarted FSX and ASX to see if it helped any and it was screwed up even more...see the attached second screen shot and you can see the ASX report stating 1mi visibility, and my FSX which shows unlimited...any ideas what I can do about this?

Noah Bryant

Hi,Visibility does not continue to unlimited altitudes, but rather clears up at a hard ceiling (if vis graduation disabled) or gradually through 3000-10000ft agl if vis graduation enabled. In your screenshot it appears as vis is indeed low near the surface.As to the clouds, its showing 800ft ceiling overcast. It does look like an 800ft overcast layer below you, but it looks like the stratus is being rendered as cirrus. Do you have "Use Skyscape for stratus" checked? If so, this is why. Unchecking this will enable more "full" stratus clouds to be rendered.What is your vis graduation setting?I would recommend that you return to defaults to see how things render. It does appear that through options things may be rendering differently than you are expecting.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Thank you, resetting everything to default fixed everything except the fog problem.Just flew into SAC which was fogged in, 1/4mi visibility. When I'm about 1200 feet off the ground I can clearly see the field and can set up for a visual approach, then, at about 200 feet AGL, i lose all visibility and it instantly goes to the 1/4 mile visibility.Is there any way to fix this so the fog obscures the field no matter what altitude you're at?

Noah Bryant

What do you mean a thin fog layer? Is that the Fog Layer Simulation option? I have that selected and nothing was rendered. Is there a way to change the altitude that the visibility shifts? Maybe instead of a couple hundred feet off the ground, it's more like 1000.

Noah Bryant

This is a valid complaint. I have seen how transparent a ground fog is from above it until you get into it, then forward visibility drops to zilch. However, all overcasts seem to be simulated in the same way. I have no idea how many hours I've spent in the air above an overcast, and it always looks like a blanket of clouds below unlike what is simulated. I have not yet seen an overcast below using ASX.

Dan Downs KCRP

Can you render overcast below? Say, for example, conditions are OVC030 with tops at 8000. Flying above the overcast should be like flying above an ocean of cloud but I've never seen this rendered. This has nothing to do with groud visibility.

Dan Downs KCRP

Okay, now we are on to something. I'm sure my layers are set to max, let me set up a case for study and I'll be back in a fresh thread. Thanks much.

Dan Downs KCRP

>Hi,>>Yes, we do, but there are a few users that have not been able>to see this. Maybe slightly understated...one just has to scan the threads and it becomes evident real quick that wx depictions that do not reflect the current METARs are quite prevalent in ASX. There is no way that you can garner an 800' OVC deck in his 2nd photo above that shows the current METAR and the airplane on short final in extreme VMC conditions.I have been a loyal customer of HiFi and its wonderful products, but this release (ASX+ASG) is a major step backward and has throttled me from future purchases on release day. I don't care if it points to an FSX problem....state so in the product discription and quit misleading folks to think it is their setup/computer that prevents them from getting it to work right. Look at it folks, they respectfully/honestly try to help for a few replies when people have wx depiction problems and it always just resolves into no resolution. I have a high end system with the finest video card with all the latest drivers and I can get FSX to run in the 50-80 fps range...so it is not my system that prevents ASX from working. I have settled in with letting FSX download the weather for itself using the internal Jeppsen option and I get steady accurate weather.Steve