Sign in to follow this  
Nfus

ASX and Vatsim data not matching...

Dear HiFi,While flying FSX with ASX (Networked) and downloading Vatsim's weather data, I found that airports' metar do not correspond.Sometimes ASX simulate a wind coming exactly from the opposite side compared to the one created on Vatsim (which I can check using FSInn metar facility).As you can realize, this difference affects the runway usage and prevents me from performing a correct landing.Let's say Vatsim weather says wind 360/10 and ASX instead 160/10, the "real" ATC would adress me to a RWY36 and I would be forced to land with about 10kts of tailwind... :-halo Is there maybe an option which I did not activate?! :-hmmm Thanks a lot for your support.Nick

This one is proving a touch problematical either way one sets the smoothing option. Let me explain!Smoothing on - winds are stable but do not necessarily agree with current metars/Vatsim dataSmoothing off - winds on the ground agree with current metars/Vatsim but are liable to sudden and unexpected shifts on descent/climbout presumably due to having picked up an outdated metar from another station? Also one can be in the vicinity of the destination flying on a QNH which can change up or down very suddenly, a bit nasty when in congested airspace!Possible solution for online flying? What would be ideal would be a setting that fixes the range at which the origin and destination Vatsim weather is used e.g. once within say 40 miles of destination ASX uses the destination Vatsim metar and nothing else. Same with departure. That would eliminate issues of doubt as to the runways in use and keep us all on the same QNH I have no idea if that is feasible but as things currently stand we're getting quite a few issues online which can be very frustrating. I've mentioned before sudden wind reversals on final and it's a bit uncomfortable when one is No3 to land with one behind and speed control is crucial!Thoughts?

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

Jim, Thanks for your quick reply.I suspected that the problem was related to the smoothing "thing".I will try to switch the option off and see what appens but probably there will be only 2 possibilities:1) Strong wind shifts with ASX and Vatsim metars matching.2) No wind shifts and possible not real weather data.Question: can I select/deselect wind smoothing facility only when I need it? For instance: can I have it on while cruising and turn it off when approaching the airport in order to have real Vatsim datas?Would enabling the option (on the settings panel) affect the weather deciption at once?I know it is not a proper way of solving the problem, but I do not see many other options to choose from...ThanksNick

>Hi Nick,>>I am honestly not sure if you can change that option and have>it take effect without restaring ASX. You can try things and>see what happens.>We are working on our SP3 in order to improve winds a little>more.>>Thanks,>Jim>>http://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpg>http://www.hifisim.com/Good news that you're already onto SP3. Lets hope it improves a LOT more, not just a little ;)Dan Parkin

>Possible solution for online flying? What would be ideal would>be a setting that fixes the range at which the origin and>destination Vatsim weather is used e.g. once within say 40>miles of destination ASX uses the destination Vatsim metar and>nothing else. Same with departure. That would eliminate issues>of doubt as to the runways in use and keep us all on the same>QNH Flying on Vatsim too, I

Hi Guys,just installed latest ASX Beta patch and registered my FSPUIC 4.26 in order to benfit from its wind smoothing facility...So: ASX smoothing options all off and FSPUIC4 Wind smothing to on.Flight went ok without experiencing gust as usual but!!!Vatsim destination airport's metar still not correspond to what ASX simulates:METAR says one thing, TAF another and actual weather simulated by ASX is different again!!!Pls can anyone tell me how to simulate Vatsim weather on airports with ASX (if possible?!)Thanks to all in advance!Nick

Since SP3 and the FSUIPC smoothing I've actually found this aspect a whole heap better than it was before. Prior to those two I'd actually stopped using ASX online since the winds/pressures were often a country mile away from where they should be for Vatsim use (and constantly changing as you flew). I'm now using it again and finding that things are much much better, however....Nick, one thing for you to watch for, because of the way that FSUIPC applies its smoothing then there can be a slight delay as it adjusts to the correct figures. In order to smooth temps/pressure/wind it adjusts them one notch at a time so it'll get there but it may take a few secs. It's not necessarily instant. Obviously make sure you have Vatsim downloads enabled and you do apparently have to enter a FP into ASX even if it's only departure and arrival airports. I'm still not 100% convinced that it's actually grabbing (or perhaps applying) Vatsim weather since on checking the report page I can't see any reference to Vatsim in the downloaded weather which I think there should be (I know I've seen this previously). What it certainly is doing now though is applying the metar better than it was even if it's a more recent one than that from Vatsim - there shouldn't be much more than an hours difference between them and therefore the weather is now closer to what it should be on Vatsim.

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

Bill,thanks a lot for your reply.I agree with you that with SP3 and FSUIPC things have very much improved!Yes of course I have Vatsim download option enabled and I always load a complete flightplan on ASX, but still VERY VERY often Vatsim and ASX metars do not correspond at all wich is really sad...Nick

This has always been the case, from the earliest days of reasonably accurate weather tools like ActiveSky. Avsim weather (especially outside the US and EU) is often seriously outdated, sometimes by days or longer.I've encountered it in FS2002, maybe even earlier (I didn't fly online much at the time), so say 7 years ago at least.

>..... but still VERY VERY>often Vatsim and ASX metars do not correspond at all wich is>really sad...I have to say that that isn't what I'm experiencing on Vatsim now so there must be some difference between how we have it set-up. FYI, I run ASX with everything on default settings except Vatsim D/Loads ON and all wind smoothing OFF. FSUIPC I think I'm on v4.27 now and in that I have all weather functions OFF except: wind/temp/pressure settings ON at default values; all turbulance (incl Cloud Turbulance) are suppressed. I have nothing else set in FSUIPC at all. I don't load a full FP, just origin and destination.The result is that pressure is now almost always with 1-2mbs of Vatsim; wind is within a few knots and a few degrees of correct; clouds look about right but that's difficult to assess sometimes. I certainly havn't seen a completely reversed wind once since SP3/FSUIPC smoothing were implemented and I've had no nasty changes on approach at all.As I said though, I'm still not convinced that it's d/l from Vatsim but that it's just interpretting current metars far better. I'm sure Jim will know where to look to check what your system is doing differently?

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

I only experience that with wind smoothing on.I fly with real weather in the Vatsim network and it is almost the same as displayed in Servinfo. ASX sometimes is a little faster in updating.