Sign in to follow this  
downscc

ASX Overcast Below Depiction Problem

Current observation at KSEA is 21005 7 -RA BKN046 OVC055. I am using B1106. Depiction sitting on the runway is okay, but when I slew upwards to test overcast below depiction I notice that both cloud layers at 4600 and 5500 are very thin. In fact, above the overcast looks like overcast was just an illusion and I can see ground textures.When I load XGraphics textures there's a slight difference but overcast below looks more like haze than solid cloud. There's a marked improvement when I turn off both Visibility Graduation and Ground Fog Simulation but I can still see the Puget Sound coastline when all I should see is overcast below.I tried increasing the thickness of the overcast layer at 5500, which was only about 1700 ft (that's a really thin overcast layer, not realistic at all) to about 3000 ft. Problem is it made no difference in the depiction. As I slew up and down I'm still seeing an overcast above until I reach it where it changes into a thin layer (more like a cirrus than a status) and I can see down below it.Summary: The view below overcast is fine, but climbing up into the overcast should be just like flying into a cloud and the view is IMC until on top where instead it looks like a thin translucent layer. The view above looking at overcast below is more like looking through ground haze with major ground features easily discerned.My FSX settings are as recommended (max density clouds, etc). My Cloud Layer Number is max at 20.Any recommendations?

Dan Downs KCRP

There are limits with stratus clouds in FS9 or FSX. Those limits have to do with the sprite-based cloud depiction FS uses, and other things.Full decks of OVC are best achieved in the sim using more cumulus type clouds. I have seen good-looking OVC decks with those types of clouds, mixed with some stratus, but primarily cumulus. It was...what I would call 'convincing' overcast. Not perfect mind you, but it did obscure the ground entirely horizon-to-horizon in the sim.Also keep in mind that your clouds are only as good as the METAR you have going in many cases.The OVC and winds variability weirdness issues are the two "biggies" I would like to see addressed in FS11.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Good, that gave me something to try... this time of year I expect more stratus so there's a setting for bias towards either cumulus or stratus that I have pushed towards the latter. I'll move the setting this evening and see how that works out.Always noticed I would see solid IMC in a cumulus cloud but never in a stratus...now it make sense.Yes, a new weather engine in FS11 would sure be nice. Ever notice that the even numbered releases are never as robust as the odd numbers? Sorry, rhetorical question only.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks, Rhett. I changed the %Stratus setting from a high number to a low number to allow cumulus and that did improve the depiction of overcast. I guess that's as real as it's going to get (I can't help making fun of that tag line).I noticed tho (just an observation) that there's still something slightly amiss. Current KSFO is 042056Z 26026 1SM +RA OVC001 BKN018 OVC032 12/10... an ugly day in the city by the bay! The only layer of cloud depicted is the overcast at 3200; the ground layer at 100 and the broken at 1800 are missing and the visibility is >> 1. However, the overcast layer does depict as IMC all the way up to 10,000 - very much better than I had yesterday. Thanks.

Dan Downs KCRP

>Thanks, Rhett. I changed the %Stratus setting from a high>number to a low number to allow cumulus and that did improve>the depiction of overcast. I guess that's as real as it's>going to get (I can't help making fun of that tag line).>I'm glad that helped a little. I posted some screenshots in the AVSIM screenshot forum about a month ago, of me flying the SGA DC-10 over some thick horizon-to-horizon overcast. I was pretty happy with the OVC that time. It wasn't perfect but it was the best I've gotten in FS since...FS5 days, when we had easy decks of clouds.>I noticed tho (just an observation) that there's still>something slightly amiss. Current KSFO is 042056Z 26026 1SM>+RA OVC001 BKN018 OVC032 12/10... an ugly day in the city by>the bay! The only layer of cloud depicted is the overcast at>3200; the ground layer at 100 and the broken at 1800 are>missing and the visibility is >> 1. However, the overcast>layer does depict as IMC all the way up to 10,000 - very much>better than I had yesterday. Thanks.>My understanding of all flight sim wx depiction schemes, including FSX default, is that what you see at any place in the sim is often going to be a COMPOSITE of all of the nearby station reports. So if KSFO reports OVC, and KOAK or KSJC report SCT clouds, then I bet at KSFO, it won't be solidly overcast when all the wx is depicted...Say San Jose, California/Moffett's weather report is 2 hours out-of-date, and KSFO's is up-to-date. Moffett might report scattered clouds, even though if their report were up-to-date, it would be cloudy. Lots of variables, is the best way for me to understand it.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB