Sign in to follow this  
jordanal

Wind Smoothing - Pete Making Progress?

From Pete's forum regarding FSUIPC v4.217 beta:"2. At last I think I've cracked it. through some horrible hacks into FSX's innards, I have got the Wind Smoothing working to my reasonable satisfaction at last. It isn't quite perfect, and it certainly needs more testing, but so far it looks quite good. I'd hoped to do the visibility facilities too, the same way, but alas it doesn't appear possible. One thing though, the wind smoothing is in one way actually better, I think, than in FS2004 -- because I've managed to add a passable simulation of turbulence, variance and gusts, when these are set in the weather -- in FS2004 the smoothing tended to override these. (This part wants a lot more testing in real flights though).One important thing to note: you do need FSX SP2 or Acceleration installed for good results. If you don't have this installed the smoothing still works, in a way, but you will get the airspeed jumping up and down very annoyingly during wind changes, as my code fights the simulator. I've applied patches to the FSX sim engine for SP2, but these have taken many hours to work out and I'm not going to do the same for earlier versions of the modules affected.NOTE: Change since 4.215. With version 4.216 I measure no extra performance cost for wind smoothing. With the previous, less effective, method attempted (in 4.20) there was probably a 5-10% penalty."Has anyone tried this while running ASX-SP2 with its internal wind-smoothing un-checked? Too bad it looks like the fix is hard-coded to FSX-SP2 though as I'm still running FSX-SP1.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Uuhhg. FSX/SP2 required....as a person who cannot use SP2 because of my hardware/driver issue I guess I'm stuck with SP1 and the disability to move forward with yet another fine product. I'm looking forward to FSXI in a way, then again, I'll have to buy a new computer to even run it at 1/2 the abilities I'm sure.Sorry to rant....I guess this old man just hates progress at times ;-)

I tried it out and it seemed to help some. There were some rapid changes, but they were of much less intensity than with the feature turned off. I made two flights yesterday with played-back weather for the same time from KSFO-CYVR using the 747 with and without Pete's wind smoothing. With it off, I had about 5 instances of overspeed and dropping to stall speed. With it on, the most I overped, or dropped was about .03 Mach. The only problem I had was the PMDG 744x could not hold heading at low altitudes. Another user and I have posted about this at Pete's forum.Kylehttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

Kyle

Main Sim PC: P3D v5.2 & MSFS 2020, i9-10850k @ 5.0 GHz, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, ASUS TUF-RTX3080-12G, Dell U3011 30" IPS monitor, G.Skill 32GB 3200 Trident Z 14-14-14, Samsung 512GB 960 Pro NVMe (OS), Samsung 2TB 970 EVO NVMe (Sim), Win 10 Pro 64, Yoko Yoke, Saitex Combat Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant

Just to give an update on Pete's progress with FSUIPC. I've been doing a number of test flights online with various beta versions and am delighted to say that some SERIOUS progress has been made. My last two flights with FSX download weather have seen no nasty windshifts at all, pressure changes in the cruise are being smoothed fantastically and even the TATs are being smoothed now. I no longer worry about the PMDG 747X getting knocked out of VNAV by the wind/pressure/temp changes!One more test flight with download weather to be done and then I'll chuck ASX into the mix which will present some additional scenarios and no doubt some messing around with settings. I'm feeling pretty confident though since the last couple of flights have been an absolute pleasure, the best I've ever seen from FSX, so the future finally is looking one heckuva lot brighter :-)

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

I've also been trying the betas, not as fast as Pete puts them out, but I'm running with ASX w/ PMDG 747X and the results are very good.My last two tests hiccupped tho, CTDs, but I've got to backup and figure out where those are coming from... very unlikely that it's caused by a FSUIPC module.

Dan Downs KCRP

I and a couple others also reported CTDs in the last beta. Pete thinks he found the source of the CTDs. He has already posted 4.236. About a beta a day :-)Kylehttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

Kyle

Main Sim PC: P3D v5.2 & MSFS 2020, i9-10850k @ 5.0 GHz, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, ASUS TUF-RTX3080-12G, Dell U3011 30" IPS monitor, G.Skill 32GB 3200 Trident Z 14-14-14, Samsung 512GB 960 Pro NVMe (OS), Samsung 2TB 970 EVO NVMe (Sim), Win 10 Pro 64, Yoko Yoke, Saitex Combat Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant

Yup, just reported that v4.236 did away with my CTDs in my thread on Pete's forum. A swear, Pete never sleeps, LOL...

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Yep - I tried 4.236 last night and no CTDs either. Again an incredibly smooth flight. Pete's now managed to reproduce the issue where the PMDG completely loses heading control in turbulance and is working on that but we do now know that this can be prevented by suppressing cloud turbulance so if in worst case there is no solution at least there is a workaround. PMDG are looking at this effect as well. I'll be using ASX for my next test flight, should be fun, but quick question - those of you testing this using ASX, are you doing it with ASX wind smoothing on or off? How about virtual weather stations?

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

I have been using ASXsp2 with XGraphics while testing with Pete's betas. Rightly or wrongly, my ASX settings = Set Defualts, +Disable Graduated Visability, +Disable Fog Layer +Set Max Cloud Layers 20. That's it.Regards,

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest tff325

Where can I get the 4.236 fsuipc?I see only the 4.20 version at Pete's homepage.rgds,Ben

His forum at http://forums.simflight.com/Look for the pinned thread for FSX downloads.I use ASX B1106 without wind smoothing...seems that feature never solved the problem and introduced many others.You'll have to have the latest release (4.20) to install the beta (the beta downloads are just the dll).

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest tff325

>His forum at >http://forums.simflight.com/>>Look for the pinned thread for FSX downloads.>>I use ASX B1106 without wind smoothing...seems that feature>never solved the problem and introduced many others.>>You'll have to have the latest release (4.20) to install the>beta (the beta downloads are just the dll).>Got it. I have the 4.20, so the dll will be fine for me.Thanks!Ben

I am testing the betas also and see quite an improvement with WinXP and FSX SP1 so give it a shot unless you already have.Dave ESSB

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

If you haven't been keeping up with Pete's forum and daily barage of FSUIPC4 betas, today's v4.241 beta looks very very promising. He found that the sim1.dll was acutally different between the SP2(patched) update and the SP2(Accel) update. This is why some of us were getting smoothing some weren't. The really good news is this also helped Pete figure out how to back-fit his smoothing fixes into earlier versions of FSX, ie, SP1 & RTM. The last remaining issue is with the PMDG 774X and turbulance; whereby LNAV/HDG can loose it course at lower altitudes. Pete has a technical call into PMDG on that one. If this is a big issue for you at this moment, you can disable wind and cloud turbalance on the wind and cloud tabs in the FSUIPC GUI.If you have the registered version of FSUIPC4, stop by and pickup the .241 beta. I think it's definite improvement any many areas.Regards,

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Thanks for the info, Al. I shall try it Monday on the remainder of my CYVR-EDDK trip, and report.Cheers, R

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx