Sign in to follow this  
Dark Moment

Is there a limit to amt. of sceneries in FS2002?

Hello Gang!Can someone tell me if there is a limitiation as to the amount of installed sceneries in FS2002? The reason for my question is that it now appears that any additional sceneries I install, even though I activate them within FS2002, are no longer appearing in my scenery.cfg file. I have reached nearly 947 addons and I have a feeling that the scenery.cfg file is no longer handling any additions.Has anyone run into this before?Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullerthttp://www.aavirtual.com/images/aav48_banner.gif[/img]

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

331 is the limit to scenery LAYERS in your SCENERY.CFG, Dennis. If you've 947 sceneries, you can't have seen many of them for a while - I presume you don't have them all activated! I have many, many more than 331 but have consolidated them to keep within the limit. As you say, FS2K2 does not recognise the layers after a given point; which I have firmly determined is 331.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest oyvindhansen

Does anyone know if there is any performance difference between consolidating and layering?- Oyvind

Guest Grey_Wolf

I consolidate by installing scenerys in their own directorys by Author. There is no performance loss and i've saved tons of disk space from dupliucate textures by doing this.Originally I tryed to consolodiate by region, but I found that some textures were duplicated in name only, the actual image was diffrent so some macros showed with a wrong bitmap applyed to it.its worth a try.. Having funGrey_Wolf

Hey MarkCould you explain how you consolidate your sceneries to reduce the layers?I am getting close to the magic number and would not like to have to make a decision on what should go.Thanks in anticipation

Hi Mark!Thanks for your reply! Actually, I realized that I do not have 947 as I previously mentioned (the scenery.cfg file has some weird way of assigning the numbers), but I have definitely exceeded the magic number already. I have done some consolidation with the landclass files and the terrain mesh files. I guess that consolidating the sceneries is actually a good idea. I'm gonna have to try tat.Thanks for your feedback.Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullerthttp://www.aavirtual.com/images/aav48_banner.gif[/img]

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

Andy and DennisHere's how I do it, and it works for me:1. All landclass files go directly into FS2002/SCENERY. I keep a notepad list of them, so that I can chop and change them as new or better ones come out for the same region.2. "Small stuff" goes into my FS2002/ADDON SCENERY folder - which, of course, represents only one entry in SCENERY.CFG. I make sure to include the relevant READMES (sometimes renamed carefully) to make sure I know what's there.3. Any add-on scenery package that requires flatten or exclude switches in the SCENERY.CFG has its own entry i.e. area and layer number.4. Others, I am continually consolidating. I have many Australia sceneries, for example, that now all go into FS2002/SCENERY/AUSTRALIA VARIOUS, and have a single SCENERY.CFG entry. All mesh by Thierry Pignot, as one example, goes under a single folder, and so on. The important thing is that at no time does the number of layers required to be recognised by FS2002 go over 331.Andy, just in case you're new to this, what I am saying is that from any given add-on scenery all *.bgl and *.xcl files should go (in the above example) into FS2002/SCENERY/AUSTRALIA VARIOUS/SCENERY, and all *.bmp, *.r8, *.pat or *.*af files should go into FS2002/SCENERY/AUSTRALIA VARIOUS/TEXTURE. They will automatically be recognised by FS2002 as long as FS2002/SCENERY/AUSTRALIA VARIOUS has a FS2002/SCENERY.CFG entry.5. When, occasionally, textures are supposed to go in the main FS2002/TEXTURE folder, I always back up the originals just in case. So far, I have never had to revert excepting some rogue runway textures that have, in any case, now been zonked by Chris Arrington's recent wonderful stuff - so all is well again!6. Personally, I ONLY use the above folders; I don't mess about with putting stuff under SCENEDB, even if authors say it should be done. I would lose track of things too easily, and it's important to be able to update work when you need to. 7. Whenever possbible, I bypass automatic installers (which are often flawed, or overwrite newer files) and install stuff manually. It's more laborious this way, but at least you know where stuff is on your drive!Hope this helps, perhaps. Fire away with any more questions. Oyvind, I don't THINK that it matters to load up one scenery folder with extra files, as FS2002 will only load what it needs; but I'm not sure. Maybe someone else will answer that point.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg