Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Ancient Brit

Norton Firewall users ... here's your help.

I have seen many questions in the past about not being able to see the download buttons or pictures etc on the AVSIM files. This is not an AVSIM problem, if you are using Norton's Firewall, but simply is Norton doing its job correctly.Here is the way you solve all your trouble.1) First open your Norton Security program and click on the, Options/Internet Security button.http://www3.telus.net/dport1/inst_1.jpg2) On the next box click on the, Advanced Options button.http://www3.telus.net/dport1/inst_2.jpg3)When the next box pops up click on the Add Site, and then add the site as such - ftp.avsim.com4) When you have added the AVSIM ftp site then you have to allow ALL the options back on the options box.http://www3.telus.net/dport1/inst_3.jpgThere, done, now go have fun. This will allow you to use AVSIM's site, without opening up your entire ad blocker up, so that other sites can have free reign on your computer. I am sure the same can be done in other firewall programs, but you will have to figure it out on your own, as I don't use any others. Hope this helps those who have had troubles.http://www3.telus.net/dport1/dansig.jpg

I had to add the following to get it to work.

Thanks for adding that Mark. After seeing Dan's post, I finally have a computer here at work that I could experiment with Norton IS to see what was exactly causing the buttons to not display. Now you know why I never got back to you about the issue. I was going round and round. I knew disabling the ad-blocker was fixing it but I never could find a way to add a rule for just excluding the entire domain of ftp.avsim.com and judging by my personal experience with it, reading the things here, and researching the Symantec support pages, there is no way to opt out a whole domain for the ad-blocker. Sure seems to make it difficult for the average user out there to configure the program.I would have never guessed to look at the code attached to those buttons had Matt not mentioned the problem in email. With Dan's permission, I think I will see about putting together the images from him and you and anchor one topic at the top of this forum outlining the problem and how to get around it.

Dan, hopefully you will catch this post. Can you verify the same thing that Mark and I noticed about the ad-blocker feature of Norton IS? Go to the file library and verify that you actually see the buttons for download with each file? The settings you displayed are important also, especially with using the forums, but the ad-blocker is what causes people to not see the download button because Norton is actually matching the phrase AdID to part of our code in the library, namely html code for the file ID (DownloadID=). Kind of dumb of Symantec to not force the ad-blocker to only match exact strings so that is doesn't mistakenly identify part of a code.Adding "adid" under permitted html code worked for me like Mark.Matt is currently working towards rewriting some of the library to avoid this problem of Norton. But until then, I would like to put together the images you posted with the one from Mark to make a new anchored post for users having problems with the file library. Ok if I use your images and post?

Hi Guys,I don't have the ad blocking code in my Norton IS. Not sure why it would not be working for you without it. The only other thing I can think of is that I do not use Explorer's internet security feature. I found it was not worth the pain in the @&& for what it actually offered. Maybe that has something to do with it. As for using anything I submitted here to help others, you are more then welcome to do so. Anything that makes life easier here for all concerned is all I care about.http://www3.telus.net/dport1/dansig.jpg

Not the problem on my end. I use Netscape 7.

Guest The Ancient Brit

Well done Dan, I know putting together such a message as the one with which you have started this thread, takes time and effort.Go for it Scott, an anchored message to help Norton users is necessary to judge from the frequency this topic appears in the forums. If you recall, I spent the best part of two years in the darkness of outer Cyber-space wanting to post to these forums until with your help and a determined assault on Norton on my part, I cracked the problem by a process of illumination.Denis. The Ancient Brit.