Sign in to follow this  

From AMD to Pentium

This question might not be the right forum to ask, but I am only asking if there are someone who have change from AMD processor to Pentium processor under windows XP Pro without reinstalling XP. I do not want to reinstall my flightsim due to heavy GB installedRGdsSK985

Guest JoakimE

Well, I doubt it can be done without any kind of reinstall of XP, however, you can (as I did) reinstall XP over the old copy and not lose any data at all except drivers and updates...

DO NOT attempt this!! Changing a motherboard and processor, epecially to a completely different architecture is a huge shock on a Windows install - there's all sorts of resources that get rerouted, new inf's for the board, etc. Trust me, I've tried this before - if you change out the core of your system like that, you need to format your HD and perform a clean install of Windows. It sucks having to reinstall FS, but it'll be worth it for an upgrade...Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Same here. I changed my mobo and my system when haywire. It could not boot up because all of the driver components installed were for the old motherboard. I had to format and reinstall Win XP to get anything to work. It sucks, but its been months now and i dont regret doing it. Make sure you backup all your files and have copies of all the software you want to reinstall. Chris Lezama

A reinstall probably will be best, but I'm gonna try it, anyway. Going from an Athlon 1800 to a P4 2.8 on Christmas Day (I hope!) Mark

You can Backup you FS Folders and and reinstall them after your new system is up. I have done this lots of times whenever changing Hardware Systems or Windows OS. You will need to do a reinstall of FS if you want to correct all of your Registry entries, but that is easily done without losing a single FS file, if you do it right! Pete S

Guest JoakimE

If it was Win2000 or older, I would recomend a clean format, this is of course also nice with XP, but not at all as necesary as it was earlier. I went from a Athlon 1.1GHz to a P4 2.4GHz a couple of months ago, and only reinstalled XP over the existing XP install, and everything has worked absolutely perfect ever since :)So, there is no need to format, even though it might be recomended ;)But as always, do create backups of your valuable data before messing with any version of Windows :-lol

Thanks very much for your advices. It seems that a reinstall ofXP is necessary. A backup with Norton Ghost to a different harddriveseems also be necessary. I have done an upgrade of the modo not so long ago, from Asus to MSI, and xp swollow it without problems. But that was from a socket A to another Socket A modo. No I have to change from socket A to socket 478, and I guess that will cause problems. Thanks anyway for your tips. I will report later in this thread how things go, could be helpfull for other users to know.Best RegardsSK985