Sign in to follow this  
creppel

Upper Winds wrong? Whats the source?

I am using for flightplanning the windcharts from aviationweather.gov.See chart below for this evening:WS2.jpgStation in Essen (EDZE) from 12Z shows this: M DRCT SKNT290.0 9359 -54.7 -73.7 8 0.01 27 28 311.1 311.2 311.1283.0 9514 -55.6 -74.4 8 0.01 25 29 312.0 312.1 312.0266.0 9907 -57.8 -76.3 8 0.00 30 37 314.3 314.4 314.3250.010300 -60.1 -78.1 8 0.00 25 27 316.6 316.6 316.6And now look what I have in FSX:WS1.jpgThe wind is from 242/98kts. Where comes the wind from? It is nearlly 180

Hi,ASX SP2 has a "feature" which locks the wind directions within 30 degrees from the startup 30k altitude level, when wind smoothing is enabled. The startup position is as you have last 'seeked' via the report or map screen. The end result is there can be some unpredictable wind locking going on from an area not related to your route of flight. However, regardless, since winds can only move 30 degrees in either direction with wind smoothing enabled, this will always result in less accuracy.We have made significant improvements here in many aspects and are about to release the public beta of ASX SP3 incorporating this. You will be able to disable wind smoothing for more accurate data representation, and instead use ASX SP3's wind shift stabilization feature to minimize the effects of shifts encountered. In addition, FSUIPC 4.75 has just been released which has really eliminated wind shift problems with FSX. It is highly recommended.Keep a look out for SP3 over the next few days.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Wind smoothing was disabled.But I will look for SP3 and have the newest FSUIPC succesful in use.

Hello,Ok, you didn't indicate that... most have wind smoothing enabled so I assumed.Well with the pictures you show, only the ASX rough graphic, I cannot compare against the data you are providing. Your chart there shows winds at different directions (up to 180 deg?) within a few sample points of each other. Variances in reporting "points" on the chart vs sample points in ASX might be the reason.If you'd like to compare things, please use specific wind data (not the graphic) from ASX (such as report screens or flight plan briefing report) and make sure the forecast period you are comparing to is the same. I'd be happy to take a look. As to the source, your winds chart is from the same (World Area Forecast).Best,

Damian Clark

Ok, try it again. Seems to be the same today. It is now 10.45Z.Here is the briefing page (EHAM-EDDF like yesterday):WS3.jpgHere is the forecast to 12Z (appr. route in red):WS4.jpgASX still shows these strong westerly winds, but I cant find them on the real chart.Need anything more?

One more shot. EHAM shows at 3K 241@57. If ASX transfers these winds into FSX it is really difficult to land.Wind should be not more than 20kts. We have really nice clear winter day.WS5.jpg

Sorry, one more shot. This is my really long loved ASwxRE for FS8.WS5.jpgLooks in this case more than the real thing.

Hi again,Ok, after a review of things on the server end, it looks like we have some data consistency issues which cropped up during a server update early in the week. This is resulting in un-synchronized wind data application compared to the target locations. Some areas are a bit worse of than others.We're working on the solution for that now. Thanks for your reports!Best,

Damian Clark