Sign in to follow this  
nigelgrant

CHProducts ProPedals Maintenance

I have had the PCI version of the Yoke and Pro Pedals for several years, they have served me well,and I would not want change(except possibly to USB). But I think the pedals are showing a bit of wear, they are a bit "grindy" at the null spot. I was thinking of removing the base (there are many small screws) but I am scared that if I take the base off there will be springs and parts flying everywhere!Has anyone ever dismantled the pedals and is it straightforward?NigelVancouver

I truly doubt that things would literally fly out, at null position, the springs are at minimal tension. Furthermore the springs couldn't fly out in any case as they are well secured (key ring style eyehole retainers on both ends). Also, the potentiometers should be well secured. Of course this would be only to the point of opening the bottom. At least you could take a look and then decide whether you are comfortable with disassembling any further, regarding the exact source of the grinding, which could be a more arduous process.I have opened various CH analog devices to change springs that have snapped due to wear and tear (obviously quite a bit past warranty). I am confident that nothing will fall out by merely opening the underside and taking a look, from the perspective of practicality.Of course if you are not very comfortable with mechanical devices, I'd suggest you either have a friend who has experience look at it, or send it for a rebuild to CH.

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

Well... I did that last week for the first time after 3 years.It was sure worth it! They now move smoothly and precicely.Just be carefull as you open them. Nothing will be flying around.The springs and pot are NOT secured, but they are not loose either!When opening the bottom, be carefull with the controller PCB that's screwed on it. Gently unplug the connector to the pots of the upper part. Clean the pot(s) only with the appropriate cleaning spray.Lubricate ONLY the metal axles and NOT the rubber wheels.Make sure you clean the wheels tracks on the inside of the bottom base from any debris and dust.When putting back together, don't force them but make sure you have alligned everything properly before closing the cover.It would also help if you work upside down... Ehhh... that is not you, the pedals!...Happy new Year!George DorkofikisAthens, Greece

Guest Henri W

George,Thanks for the advice. I just took apart my CH pedals. After cleaning the sand and dust out of the wheel tracks they feel again like brand new. This action (took less than half an hour) was definitely worth it. I should have done this much earlier.Best regards,Henrihttp://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Thx everyone for this great input, it looks as though taking the pedals apart is straightforward. I am recovering from a bout of pneumonia so don't want to tackle any "high stress" jobs at the moment! But I am good with my hands and look forward to having a crack at this in a few days.Nigel