Sign in to follow this  

Is this normal?

Hello,I'm new to flight sim. I have a question.I fly POSKY 767s, 747s and A330s. I usually climb to FL340 with 90% N1, and once it settles at FL340 I reduce N1 to around 65%. Now the problem is these aircrafts tend to settle at those altitude at an awkward angle of attack, around 5-10 degrees above the horizon. Is this normal? I tried adjusting the pitch but that would only result in the aircraft losing altitude, before automatically climbing back to FL340 and again settle at that angle (I use the AutoPilot, except for the AutoThrottle). I thought it was peculiar to POSKy aircraft, but it seems that it happens to all other add-on aircrafts (CSI, FFG)as well. About the only set of aircraft that does not exhibit this behavior are the ones that originally came with FS2K2 Pro (you know, those nothing-like-the-real-thing 737s,747s and 777s). Increasing N1 to 'full' (above 100%) does not seem to have any effect.Can anyone help? I'm at my wit's end.Thank you.

Hi!As far as I understand, this behavior is absolutely normal for large airliners, if the angle is about 3 to 5 degrees up.My guess is, that your trim is not correct and you have to trim the plane "down". AFAIR the numpad-key 7 will do this when numlock is off. (Numpad 1 will trim "up").Hope that helps! :-)Greetings,Danny

Hello Danny!Thank you very much for your reply! I thought there was something wrong with either my FS2K2 installation or the aircraft itself.Now I can breath easy. And thanks for the tip - I'll make use of it the next time I fly.Regards,HAFIZIMalaysia

Guest Liam

Hi Hazifi,Sounds like your airspeed is dropping off, thus causing your loss of altitude.It is absolutely normal for aircraft in the cruise to have a slight nose up attitude.I know not over doing it with N1 is a good thing, but also keep an eye on your airspeed. Flying heavy aircraft like the ones you are trying to go with, taking off climbing straight to 34,000ft just on what the N1 says well to be honest heavy aircraft like that do not like this.Climb slow and steady once you cross through about 24,000. Reduce your vertical speed down to maintain around 290 - 300 kts. Once crossing FL280 switch to Mach speed. You will notice as you get around FL280 the airspeed will drop off if you do not reduce your FPM rate. Do this, and let her slowly make FL340 (or your assigned altitude). Once there let the aircraft settle and the airspeed build up.Are you using autothrottle on your aircraft. Are you changing from IAS to MACH when crossing FL280.Do these things and keeping your speed up will sort things out. I fly mainly the PSS 747 but have flown the PIC 767. At no time during a cruise do I ever remember my N1s reading as low as 65%. From memory my N1s are up around 80 to 90%.Hope this helpsLiam

Hello Liam!I always set N1 to full (>100%) until it reaches the desired cruising altitude. The climbing itself can eat up almost 10,000 lbs of fuel. I set it to around 65% once the FL340 is reached to save fuel.The loss of altitude is not caused by the loss of speed, you see - what I tried to do was basically adjusting the trim/pitch so that the AoA would be 0 degrees. It levelled (AoA 0 degrees), but the altitude drops. It then climbs back to the preset altitude and settles again at that awkward angle. Thank you for your tip - I'll make good use of them the next time I fly. I don't use Autothrottle because the sound of the engine slowing down and then powers up again to maintain speed gets on my nerve! :DThanks againRegardsHAFIZI AZMALMalaysia

Just to let you know there is an update to the Posky model being offered (I can't remember the author's name). The Posky planes were very underpowered and from my experience could barley reach 34,000. Once at that altitude the angle of attack was unrealistically high. I updated the air file and the plane flies right on the numbers. I'll see if I can get you the link.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Guest UweR

Hi, the attitude (better: angle of attack) of the aircraft in clean configuration is determined by speed, weight and altitude. If you want the nose to drop, you either have to go faster, fly lower or lose weight. Trim commands won

Hi,Thanks for replying. I agree with you - most of the POSKY 767s and especially the A330s can barely make it to above FL300.

Guest Liam

Hi Hafizia,OK......dont trim it. Climb to your desired flight level (and I wouldnt use 100% all the way) go to climb power after a couple of thousand feet or less, bring your N1s on the 767 down to around 95% (from memory) if you insist on not using autothrottle. Another way that is better to judge it is by activating the autopilot at around 2000ft, and using vertical speed to maintain 250kts, then 300kts above 10,000ft. Obviously as you pass FL260 you will switch to Mach so no more than .79 mach in the climb. Obviously adjusting your vertical speed all the time to keep those N1s about 95% or less during the climb.Once you reach your desired Flight level using autopilot leave verything alone. Do not trim it, as the autpilot will do it all. This way you will find no loss of altitude, if you do then it must be a FS issue. But I flew the PIC 767 with a POSKY merge for a long time without any issues.Any hastles or you need more help just email fassaml@aol.com and I wil try and help ya outLiam

Thank you Liam. What vertical speed do you recommend? I usually go at 1800 ft/min.

Guest WorkingStiff

>>I don't use Autothrottle because the sound of the engine slowing down and then powers up again to maintain speed gets on my nerve! <<*scratching head*So is that a good reason not to use the autothrottle?

remember,airlines fly a fixed thrust setting on TO and climb,so speed is maintained by pitch and you'll accept any climb rate.just set a realistic thrust setting and adjust your pitch to maintain 250 knots until 10K,then lower pitch a bit to maintain your climb speedat cruise altitude speed will be maintained by thrust and pitch will hold altitude

Thank you for the reply, Seba. I'll keep that in mind.