Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jet

To Flap or Not to Flap

Guest Jet

I'm noticing an admission by many, including the magazine guys, that they don't seem to go to full flaps on landing.The best I can gleem is a type of by feel approach many of these guys use. I like the the extra speed aspect for safety as long as there is plenty of pavement ahead. And when I go full flaps in the sim (Commander) I notice I get so much drag that at the 700 fpm descent I may have to throttle up to maintain my approach speed.So how should it be done?? Fly it by the book and go to full flaps when you have the runway made or carry a little extra speed, and just put in flaps to just shy of full?? I must admit it lands better w/o going to full flaps. I also don't like to re-configure (trim) on short final when I'm concentrating on the landing (gear down, cowl flaps open, flaps down, fuel pump on..etc.)Thanks

Guest Twister

Hi Jet,Most aircraft will land fine with full flaps, I generally apply full flaps on final.In the presence of windy conditions, I prefer to use only 20 degrees of flaps and keep a landing speed of 5 to 10 knots higher than normal.I'm not sure about the commander, the flight model might or might not be an exact reproduction of the real thing.The Cessna 172 will land fine without flaps - the landing distance will of course be affected and the ship will "float" above the runway for quite some time before settling on the ground.Twister

Greg, This is an interesting subject that I'm sure will bring some debate. I have noticed that when I fly in the real world in GA planes that everone seems to do things a bit differently. It seems when I fly with military trained aviators they tend to use full flaps but those trained in the civilian sector like to use less or even no flaps. In the sim I try to use full flaps everytime unless I am flying a twin on one engine. The length of the field (very long RW) and winds/gusts will sometimes cause me to use less than full flaps. The best advice I can give, is to figure out what works for you, and make a "standard" way of doing things, and always do it the same way. The benifits of "Standardized" flight procedures cannot be overstated You will get more comfortable and competent that way. Then if you deviate from your "Standard" or forget to set something (like the last notch of flaps) it will "Feel" different and you will be more alert to changing airspeeds and descent rates ect.http://www.ktone.org/images/FSD_ken.jpg

Guest Jet

Thanks guys.I will develop my own feel I guess. I do like the safety factor of high and hot...especially in a single, provided I have enough runway.

You're probably flying on the back-side of the power curve, where you have to apply more power to go slower. There's lots of good books on this subject, probably at your local library, one being "The Proficient Pilot".If the Commander you're flying is the FSD Commander 115TC, it's modeled correctly, to the limit of the flight sim. Most people are quick to blame developers, but there's only so much that the flight sim can actually do (and the fact that MS is keeping hush-hush on the .air files, etc.)So, yes, full flaps can be used but apply more power (or keep away from the back-side ;).Head over to the FSD support forum and pose your question to those guys...they're pretty good at providing info.Brad Dykes

Guest Jet

Thanks, good info.Yeah, it is the FSD Commander and it does stay on rails and hit the approach speed even with full flaps.I'm probably a little behind and low when I have to nudge up the MP.The FSD forum is a good idea.Thanks again.

Guest Lizardo

From my experience in the Navy, decades ago, "full flaps" was used so that you did maintain power; few things stink as bad as having to get out of a bad situation immediately from idle.

Guest Jet

I know the 30 and more flap settings on the jets are there so you can be powered up in case of a go-around.I was not aware of that for a piston reciprocating motor. Power is pretty much there when you want it.Thanks

I am sure it depends on the aircraft you fly. In my Debonair (low wing) I always use full flaps-the low wing makes it stable even in high gusty winds..In a c-182 I would tend to use less than full flaps in high gusty winds because of the high wing.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.jpg

Guest Jet

I'm kind of getting the feel that for normal approaches go to the published use of "Full flaps".For special circumsatnces "possible wind shear or high winds" special use may be applicable for safety purposes.I think I will work on better approaches "more attention to the proper glideslope" and then full flaps will ber appropriate.Thanks