Sign in to follow this  
Guest flightpro08

Straight DX 9 Answers Please

Guest Dean

>Mainly to PaulL01 and Ken. >>I see you both have 512MB (or more) RAM on Win98SE. >>I have just changed mo/bos and am unable to get Win98SE to >run with 512 RAM, OK with 256MB though. >Can you advise if you have ACPI disabled and if you had to >make entries in the vcache section of system.ini. >>Mo/bo is Abit KD7-RAID with the VIA KT400 chipset. >Athlon XP1800 >2x 256MB Generic DDR333 RAM >Latest VIA 4in1 (4.45) >>Both sticks of RAM tested seperately OK. >>TIA You may not have a Win98 problem but rather a ram/mobo compatability problem. Mushkin has an advisory on their website that their new high performance DDR333 ram is guaranteed to work at CAS 2 only if you use one stick. Some motherboards do not tolerate multiple sticks of ram very well. You might try less aggressive ram settings in bios and see if that helps the problem.

Guest sammn2002

It is Great my framerates were greatly improved.14 up to 20Sam

>...You might try less aggressive ram settings in bios :( , what ya gonna do now eh? j/kI will get it back somehow and give up on running 512MB for the time being.What should have been an easy upgrade is taking far too much messing and time.Rgds

Guest PaulL01

Hey MG,Why dont you post a non Zoomed out shot from alittle more altitude?Thanks

Guest sgreenwood

And could you also include the second line of text with the coordinates at the top of your screen. Otherwise, it is difficult for us to compare our own performance with yours. Thanks.Steve

Guest PaulL01

>Running on the following system: >>

Guest Rob

Yup - the 41.80's are a no-go area for me. Back to the 41.04's... and fluidity. :)

Guest flightpro08

Here's what I did today (so I was bored ;-))First, I uninstalled my det 30.30 drivers, and did a clean install of nVidia's lastest posted drivers, the 41.09's. They look a little bit better than the 30.30's on my system, and give me about the same FPS in FS2k2.Second, I downloaded and installed DirectX 9.0. It istalled without a hicup, and has made NO difference in FS2k2 (no big deal as I didn't expect it to do anything anyhow.) So far, this "new configuaration" has worked out pretty well. Just did a test flight from CYYJ (Victoria Intl) to KEWL (Lago's Emma Field) in the Lago DH6 Twin Otter. With heavy clouds and fairly complex terrain, with a cruising alt of about 6000 feet and a ground speed of 180 kts, I was able to maintain 30-40FPS on average. The low visability probably helped. ;-)EDIT: Spelling errors :-rollRyan-Flightpro08 :-cool VATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Senior Controller (C-3)SAN TRACON Lead ASRC (Advanced Simulated Radar Client) Beta Tester-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 41.09 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298-----------------------------Click [link:ftp.avsim.com/library/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=&Author=Ryan+Fretwell&CatID=Root]Here to Download my American Eagle POSKY CRJ-200!

Paul; I'll try and get one from altitude tomorrow from outside. I just dropped the cockpit for that shot. Course you could consider the VIEW_FORWARD_DIR=.75 zoomed as that is where I have all my pits and views set from inside. I suppose it stays there when hitting the "W" key to lose the pit.

Guest Dean

>>...You might try less aggressive ram settings in bios <>>Thanks Dean, >>I reduced timings from CAS2.5 to 2 and now the board won't >even POST :( , what ya gonna do now eh? j/k >>I will get it back somehow and give up on running 512MB for >the time being. >>What should have been an easy upgrade is taking far too much >messing and time. >>RgdsVulcan,Actually, 2 is a faster setting and most likely too aggressive for generic memory. 2.5 or even slower is probably the right setting for generic memory. You may have to slow down some other settings as well. CAS 2 memory for PC2700 (333) is very limited in availability and is usually a premium stick. High quality ram is a must in today's systems. Good luck sorting it out.

Sorry but how do you fly with a .75 setting? to me and I fly in the "real world" that setting is like looking through a fishbowl not at all what I see when I look out the window! Dan

Guest JonP01

I haven't noticed any change with dx9, however I'm not having any problems with it either. The only reason I've installed it, is that I want to make sure all my games / sims and machine work properly with it. Given that I'm buying a new graphics card next year, I am certain I will need dx9 in order to install the graphics card drivers. So better to know now than after shelling out for the new card.Athlon XP 2400 +Geforce 4 Ti 4400ASUS A7S333Mushkin DDR memory 2.2.2.5 256MbWin 98 Lite

Vulcan,If you have two sticks of RAM and three memory slots, try different slots. Depending on how you mobo is set up, you may have to move one of the sticks before it is recognized. I went through this same problem a while back.Starting with just one, find out which slot recognizes just the one stick. When that one is recognized, try adding the second stick to either one of the other slots. If the system doesn't recognize the stick in one, try the other slot.If you have one 256 and two 128 sticks, then it becomes a little more complicated, but is basically the same idea. You may have to have the two 128 sticks recognized first, followed by the the 256 stick in your third slot, or the other way around.I bet that one of the combinations will work for you, or you have a defective stick.Hope this helps,Wilson