Sign in to follow this  
Guest flightpro08

Straight DX 9 Answers Please

Thanks Wilson.I know both sticks are OK, have tried them individually and run 'memtest' in DOS with both installed, no errors.They are identical sticks, both bought at the same time from the same retailer.The mo/bo manual says populate as normal i.e. DIMM1, 2, 3, 4.I have tried 1 & 2, 1 & 3 but will have a go at other permutations.Thanks

Well, personally I don't like it at all. I just got my new computer, and unfortunately I've already had to reinstall Windows because of it. Of course, it's a long story, so i'll start from the top.I downloaded the DX9 setup yesterday, but didn't install them until today. I tried to run Starfleet Command 3, and it told me I needed DX8.1 or higher. Thinking this had to be some mistake, I ran off and stumbled on a patch to allow compatibility with DX9. Upon installing it, I tried to run SFC3, and it did not work. After a little bit of detectivework, I found out that it was the AGP Texture support that was causing a conflict, so I ran DXDIAG and turned that off. I ran SFC3, and had no problems.I then tried to run MechCommander 2, and upon loading, it froze. I tried to use the task manager to close it, but apparently the task manager wouldn't come up. In order to solve the problem I had to manually cut power to my computer, then restart it. Seeing as I had been running MC2 with no problems until i turned off AGP, I assumed this was the cause of the problem, ran DXDIAG, but to my horror, I found that for some reason it said I was unable to use AGP support. After trying many games, and reinstalling the drivers many times, the results were simply the same. As a last resort I simply reinstalled Windows, and now the problem is under control and AGP texturing is on, though i'm still stuck with DirectX 9.When I went scouring at Microsoft's website I found that, to my horror, the DirectX 9 I downloaded was in fact a public beta. I've tried reinstalling the version linked to by the AVSIM mainpage, but my DXDIAG claims that some of the drivers are still beta.Long story short, beware and be careful. Also, if anybody would like to offer some actually educated explanations behind the strange occurances (other than my personal conjectures), I'll be open to hearing those.And of course, my specs:Pentium 4 2.4 gHz512 MB RAMATI Radeon 9700 TX 128MBBest wishes and Merry Christmas,Scott

>"DX9 SHOULDN'T Improve anything because FS2002 isn't capable >of taking advantage of DX9's features. Only if you see a >game that says "DirectX 9.0 required", then you'll see a >noticeable difference". That is just flat out not true.Anyways,I have seen and increase in FPS on most of my games. Not a huge difference but a difference no less. Gameplay "seems" smoother. Certainly no stability issues since the install of DX 9.0.Ark

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Can't Really tell at the moment. i think this is due to the number of AI plane I have flying around in FS. I'm in the proccess of changing all my default AI's over to FSP and ProjectAI AI planes. On my my other games (MSTS and Ghost Recon) run smooth of glass. I'm getting at least 14+ FPS in Train Simulator.SPECSProccessor: GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 8 866 MHz Stepping 10BIOS:VIA694 - 42302e31 Award Modular BIOS v6.00PGRam: 1280 MBVideo: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 Ver. 6.13OS: Windows XP Home Edition

Guest SlimDady

Honestly i dont see any difference.Not faster, not slower, not better looking, not worse..It just says dirext x 9 when i run dxdiag thats bout it

>>What are your experiences using it with MSFS2002...frame rates..smoothness.....sharpness.....Thats all.:)Merry Christmas

Guest flightpro08

Well Terry, installing a new version of DirectX is a bit more "nerve racking" for some people, and for a farily good reason. As you probably already know, DirectX can't be uninstalled. This in itself makes installing DirectX a "big" decision. Obviously, you can set a restore point right before installing, but I've already heard some stories of people trying to "roll back" without sucess.Anyhow, it really just depends on the type of computer person you are. Me, I'm a risk taker, and really install anything that looks good. :-lol I've crashed my various system a coupels of times trying new things, but am still not "scared" to install anything. Overall, I try Microsoft, and really don't have a problem installing their software. :-)Ryan-Flightpro08 :-cool VATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Senior Controller (C-3)SAN TRACON Lead ASRC (Advanced Simulated Radar Client) Beta Tester-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 41.09 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298-----------------------------Click [link:ftp.avsim.com/library/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=&Author=Ryan+Fretwell&CatID=Root]Here to Download my American Eagle POSKY CRJ-200!