Sign in to follow this  
ulisses

32 bits, but sky color banding...

Hi,I'm using 1280x1024x32 and I get sky color bands and landing light bands as well. Mainly when a large range of color variation is needed (ex: sunset)Any idea ?Athlon XP2000+768mb RAMGF4ti4200 128mbDX9 Detonator 41.09Thanks,Ulisses

Guest kilo_sierra17

Not sure what could be causing this, could you post a screenshot so I could see?

Guest PaulL01

>Hi, >>I'm using 1280x1024x32 and I get sky color bands and landing >light bands as well. Mainly when a large range of color >variation is needed (ex: sunset) >>Any idea ? Yep,This becomes very noticable on the better monitors.Thats why DX9 and DX9 cards now support full 40 bit color depth as 32 bit is not enough when you factor in transparency channels as used in the clouds, sky and "lights" etc. With 40 bit the banding will not be missed. :)

I have a better monitor (Viewsonic G790 19") I don't have banding.Does a switch of video drivers help?

Guest PaulL01

>I have a better monitor (Viewsonic G790 19") I don't have >banding. Its mathematically impossible for you to not have banding, you wont have it any more nor any less than anyone else running in 32 bit color depth (actually 24 bit color with an extra 8 bits for transparency) as there are only so many bytes to go around, and with rounding errors and filtering color banding and posterization is the end result. That's why there has been the push for 64 bit color as used by professional graphic programs like Photoshop, as they can save and output work to 64 bit color (16 per channel), as of right now DX9 has just introduced 40 bit color for just this very reason.

Hi Ulisses,I guess you did it right, but just to make sure, you not only have the desktop colours set to 32 bits but also within FS2002 in the Display/Hardware settings selected a 32 bit mode ?Cheers,Siggy

Siggy Schwarz

Yeap, both are set to 32 bits....I'll get a screen shot :)Thanks,Ulisses

Often there is no band...but some situations generate color bands, I'll try to find a specific time / flight to show it.Ulisses

I have my suspicions about this 32-bit stuff in FS2002. The fact is that in FLY!/FlY!2k sim I have never seen any banding (and I always 'studied' the issue)- either in sky or in aircraft panels. Clearly they managed to work just fine with whatever bits were available to them .. in 1999.Michael J.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

I think it's all about the bitmap format in FS, look at the 747 splash screen :)Ulisses