Sign in to follow this  

FS2002 and Restricted Accounts under WindowsXP

Hi everybodyI have FS2002 and WindowsXP installed on my maschine. I have a multiuser System, means there are about 7 people who use the computer. FS2002 runs perfectly under a unrestricted account such as the administrator account, but when I try to start it while I'm signed in under a restricted account I get an error message telling me the FS2002 is unable to run under a restricted and that I should try it under a unrestricted account. Is the any possibility to run FS2002 under a restricted account?Thank in advance and Merry Christmas Aragorn

Hi,I received this massege yesterday, but I use only one account and this machine is connected to a local network, I don

Guest oyvindhansen

Fs2002 is by default installed in an area on your drive where only administators have access. The problem is that fs writes to files such as fs2002.cfg and scenery.cfg when you run it, and restricted users are barred from writing to the fs2002 folder. I cannot really see any solution other than giving administrator access to everyone who plays fs.Edit: When I come to think about it, you can try to set the access options if you use an NTFS filesystem, or perhaps you could put fs in the shared ducuments folder. - Oyvind

I have separate accounts set up for my kids.The way I do it is to grant them all administrator status which cures the program access problem, but then remove everything from their start menus - and I mean everything. I then copied the startup icons for the games I want them to access to their respective desktops. Of course there are ways around my method that would gain access to the control panel and so on, but they aren't old enough to know how to access them. May not be as appropriate for you.

Guest wkzzo

Aragorn, I believe you can do this. Rightclick on the fs2002 exe. that launches the program and you should be given an option called "run as" pick run as administrator and you will then have to enter your admin password and then it should work. If your admin account has no password it might not work.I have a seperate acoount that runs only flightsim and it works fine.One more thing ,I am running XP Pro ,so Im not sure if the home version will allow this.

I think this little "patch" might help you - It has to do with restricted user accounts running MS Games... you can find the patch here Hope that helps!Cpudan80 :) :+

Thank you all very much. It work fine now after I tried wkzzo's advice.Thank you very much and merry christmas Aragorn

Check the KB article at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;307091If you are using XP Pro you can individualy grant the rights by program from your Admin account. Go into Control Panel, then Folder Options. Click on the View tab, then go down to the bottom of the list, and remove the check mark from "Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended)."Then open Windows Explorer, navigate to the folder in which the game has been installed, and right-click the top folder where the game resides. Select Sharing and Security off the menu, then click the Security tab.You'll find all the users are listed. Click the user account in the upper pane you wish to authorize so it is highlighted, then in the Permissions for panel in the bottom section, give that account the controls you want (all of them for full use of the program). Click Apply, then OK your way out.---All the BestKaty Pluta