Sign in to follow this  
Guest WorkingStiff

Help Please...system rebooting while in FS!

Just recently...just a couple minutes into FS, my system will reboot! Windows run excellent except FS, I don't have any other games installed just FS, I don't think it would be a video issue, as everything was running great until recently. Even sometime while turning my system on in the morning, it will reboot before making it to Windows, sometimes it hang on the XP loading screen. After once or twice rebooting itself, it is fine, runs great, I don't know what is causing this, I hope its not too serious, considering I really can't afford to build a new system or replace any parts until tax refund season...please help me if you can, thanks and Merry Christmas!Danny (Fiveholer) :-jumpyKTUL-Tulsa, Oklahoma900MHz AMD AthlonABIT KT7-133A MotherboardCrucial 640MB PC-10030GB Maxtor 7200RPM64MB Leadtek Winfast Geforce 3 TI200/Det. 40.72 Drivers @ 1280x1024 @ 2X AAKDS 19" Visual Sensations MonitorWindows XP Professional

>Even sometime while turning my system on in the >morning, it will reboot before making it to Windows, >sometimes it hang on the XP loading screen. After once or >twice rebooting itself, it is fine, runs great,From your own description this is not a FS issue.Things to look at:Make sure your video card is tightly seated.While you are at it double check all other cards.Your power supply my be going out. Easy to change and not real expensive.

Hey, thanks for the prompt reply...I was thinking it was a non-FS issue, how can I find out for sure if it IS my power supply and what are some other things to look at?Danny (Fiveholer) :-jumpyKTUL-Tulsa, Oklahoma900MHz AMD AthlonABIT KT7-133A MotherboardCrucial 640MB PC-10030GB Maxtor 7200RPM64MB Leadtek Winfast Geforce 3 TI200/Det. 40.72 Drivers @ 1280x1024 @ 2X AAKDS 19" Visual Sensations MonitorWindows XP Professional

One thing that might help you diagnose the problem is to stop Windows from automatically rebooting when encountering a stop error. Instead of the computer just rebooting, it will show the error in a blue screen instead. To turn it off, go to Control Panels --> System --> "Advanced" tab --> Startup and Recovery and uncheck the "Automatically Restart" box.good luck!

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Follow Bill's ideas first. Not real sure how to check your PS. Most of them need to be hooked up to a motherboard in order to operate. If you have a local computer shop, they may be able to test it for you. It's not hard to pull it out.

Go to BIOS, check voltages. Check the 12V rail is giving 12V, check it for every power reading (actual and normal values)If this is ok then maybe it is not a PS issue.GO to step 2.Load an CPU intensive application (no graphics) just cpu, FPU calculations, but make sure it will make you CPU go to 100%. If your computer reboots then you may have either a PS or CPU heat issue.Do the same, now Graphics intensive. Again, if it reboots then it may be PS or Graphic adapter heat issue.If you can load a Voltage monitor (software based) while in windows at the same time you are performing the above tests it will help you discard a possible PS problem.Hope it helps.

Danny,Check your motherboard for burst or leaking capacitors, particularly in the bank next to the CPU. Most of the early KA7's were affected by a defective batch of capacitors which burst/leak over time resulting in poor stability. While this was fixed, some KT7's of similar vintage were affected by the same problem. If you find any that are leaking (black tarish substance) ABIT will repair/replace as necessary free of charge, even outside the warranty.Bad RAM will also cause sudden restarts.Andrew

I would also check the MOBO CMOS Battery to see if it was properly installed or whether is was becoming weak.

Well guys, thanks for your suggestions, I've tried replacing my CMOS battery, checked for leaking capacitors, I did have a lot of dust on my CPU and Mobo fans, cleaned all that out for better cooling, I haven't checked voltages yet to see if its a PS problem, could someone explain how to do that again and what to look for? In the BIOS, when I boot up, my CPU Temp runs about 115-118F...is that too hot? My brother in law says it sounds warm, I'm probably going to get another fan for it. I don't see why this would be a problem all of a sudden though, everything else runs fine, about the only other CPU hungry app that I run is Photoshop 7, and it runs flawlessy, the only time I get reboots is when trying to run FS.. I don't really know what to do, I don't think reinstalling FS would help either. Thanks, any more suggestions?Danny (Fiveholer) :-jumpyKTUL-Tulsa, Oklahoma900MHz AMD AthlonABIT KT7-133A MotherboardCrucial 640MB PC-10030GB Maxtor 7200RPM64MB Leadtek Winfast Geforce 3 TI200/Det. 40.72 Drivers @ 1280x1024 @ 2X AAKDS 19" Visual Sensations MonitorWindows XP Professional