Sign in to follow this  

Radeon 9700 Pro, FS2K2, and Antialiasing

Hey all, I just recently got my new PC, and I went to play FS2k2 on it, and I wouldn't get any antialiasing. I have a Radeon 9700 Pro, and even though the antialiasing setting was set to "Application Preference", i wouldnt get any of it, I would have to set it to a flat setting (usually 4 samples). Anyway, here is my system:P4 2.66GHz512MB RamRadeon 9700 (Driver Version: 6.13.10.6193)DirectX 9Any ideas? Thanks.

First, get the latest drivers from www.ati.com.The best way to set FSAA with any card, is to disable FSAA in FS2002 and then force FSAA using the drivers control panel. With a card like the Radeon 9700Pro, use 6X FSAA at or below 1280x960, and above 1280x960, use 4X FSAA. Also make sure you enable 16x Quality Anisotropic filtering to improve texture sharpness.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest Panman

Forget the application preference setting - force it on all the timePanMan

Make sure you are in 32 bit mode as AA in 16 is not yet supported.Also you may want to carefully try different AA settings. I have a 9700 and run at 1280 x 1024 4x AA. I see no difference between 4x and 6x. Above 1600 you may not need AA at all.Ditto on setting AA from control Panel, and get latest drivers (6218)Great card btw.

>Hey all, I just recently got my new PC, and I went to play >FS2k2 on it, and I wouldn't get any antialiasing. I have a >Radeon 9700 Pro, and even though the antialiasing setting >was set to "Application Preference", i wouldnt get any of >it, I would have to set it to a flat setting (usually 4 >samples). Anyway, here is my system: >>P4 2.66GHz >512MB Ram >Radeon 9700 (Driver Version: 6.13.10.6193) >DirectX 9 >>Any ideas? Thanks. To use AA(Anti Aliasing) on Radeon series.You shouldn't check 'Application Preference' on control panelJust set to degree that what U want to Good lock~;) From Radeon 8500 user

>Hey all, I just recently got my new PC, and I went to play >FS2k2 on it, and I wouldn't get any antialiasing. I have a >Radeon 9700 Pro, and even though the antialiasing setting >was set to "Application Preference", i wouldnt get any of >it, I would have to set it to a flat setting (usually 4 >samples). Anyway, here is my system: >>P4 2.66GHz >512MB Ram >Radeon 9700 (Driver Version: 6.13.10.6193) >DirectX 9 >>Any ideas? Thanks.

To use AA(Anti Aliasing) on Radeon series.You shouldn't check 'Application Preference' on control panelJust set to degree that what U want to. Good lock~;) From Radeon 8500 user

I've experimented with all the settings. The one I settled on was 4xAA & 16xAF with all the quality boxes selected. No significant advantage between 4xAA & 6xAA at 1600x1200x32. I move all the sliders all the way to the right in the sim except that I run with water on detail because I don't particularly care for the reflections (personal taste) and run clouds on 70% with view distance at 100 miles (don't forget to set FSUIPC at 10000). I also checked T&L and AA in the sim display settings as the description says "enabled hardware T&L" and "enabled hardware AA" but it is forced on in the video card setup anyway. I seem to get more reflections with that "T&L" box checked, but it could just be my eyes playing tricks on me. Anyway, the pic quality is about as perfect as it gets with these settings and frames are no problems. I lock mine at 20.I run 1600x1200x32 and yes, you do need 4xAA & 16xAF at that resolution. Lower the AF to 8x and I start to see more smudged textures at medium range and in the distance. Lower it to 4xAF and things look horrid. Keep it at 16x and everything stays nice and clear. I've tried 1940x16?? resolution. The problem you run into when you go above 1600x1200x32 is that the video card does not have enough ram on board to handle AA & AF effectively above 1600x1200x32. The 128mb of ram on the card is not enough and limits the card and the pic quality suffers considerably. Future cards will have 256mb of ram on board, thus enabling one to run at 1940 res or 2048 res and still have AA & AF functioning properly. Anyone who says you don't need AA & AF at 1600 res or above really needs to take a closer look at their pic quality.

There is one box (second from bottom) where you leave application preference checked as that relates to Vsync and the last box is set to off, if I remember right, that pertains to smooth vision. Is smooth vision not been enabled yet in the drivers?? I seem to remember some discussion about that at 3drage; but can't remember the details. Forgot to mention that I run the CD 6166 drivers which work perfectly.

>There is one box (second from bottom) where you leave >application preference checked as that relates to Vsync and >the last box is set to off, if I remember right, that >pertains to smooth vision. Is smooth vision not been >enabled yet in the drivers?? I seem to remember some >discussion about that at 3drage; but can't remember the >details. Forgot to mention that I run the CD 6166 drivers >which work perfectly. You mean you are not enable to AA(called Smoothvision in Radeon) with 1600*1200 res or above?If so, I wouldn't give you any help...In case of my radeon8500(Retail,BBA) that can't eable AA above of 1024 * 768 res with any version of driversI also run 6166 drivers now.This problem was most likely to driver's perfectness...just in my guess...

>There is one box (second from bottom) where you leave >application preference checked as that relates to Vsync and >the last box is set to off, if I remember right, that >pertains to smooth vision. Is smooth vision not been >enabled yet in the drivers?? I seem to remember some >discussion about that at 3drage; but can't remember the >details. Forgot to mention that I run the CD 6166 drivers >which work perfectly. You mean you are not enable to AA(called Smoothvision in Radeon) with 1600*1200 res or above?If so, I wouldn't give you any help...In case of my radeon8500(Retail,BBA) that can't eable AA above of 1024 * 768 res with any version of driversI also run 6166 drivers now.This problem was most likely to driver's perfectness...just in my guess...

""You mean you are not enable to AA(called Smoothvision in Radeon) with 1600*1200 res or above""Good article here: http://www.rage3d.com/reviews/ati9700p/index.php?page=3 That's not what I meant. I misspoke. I was speaking of Truform. If you want a discussion on what's implemented and what's not implemented in Smoothvision/Truform, you'll have to find someone with more technical experience. 16bit color is not implemented. I can only speak from what my eyes see and AA & AF work beautifully in 1600x1200x32 resolution. My GF card looks like crap in comparison. It's clear to me after experiencing AA & AF at work in 1600x1200x32 that the nvidia is badly outclassed by the ATI radeon.What I said was that the 9700 needs 256mb ram to do AA & AF effectively at resolutions above "ABOVE" 1600S1200x32. It does 1600x1200x32 beautifully. Anybody running at that res without AA hasn't experienced yet what it can and should look like. The only downside to the 9700 that I can see has to do with the way it deals with grass and trees and that's not a big deal. I get a slight twinkle in the tree tops. I'm just too fussy. It has something to do with the way the 9700 handles those particular textures. Explaining it from a technical standpoint is beyond me.Here's my setting: (Open GL is the same)http://www.xplanefreeware.net/freehost/mgdbottled/9700.jpg