Sign in to follow this  
Guest PhilC

E-Dimensional 3D glasses

Howdy Keith,Edited to correct a link:Regarding the refresh rate. The Stero Display Properties will only allow you to set and save at the highest rate that your monitor INF file allows. this is OK however, most modern monitors will go beyond the default refresh rate set by your INF file. To force a higher rate, you need a 3rd party application, such as PowerStrip a shareware program, http://www.entechtaiwan.com/ Or HzTool a freeware monitor refresh tool, http://hem.spray.se/doxx/ PowerStrip is the best in my opinion. These tools will allow you to force as high a refresh rate as your monitor can handle. My 19" HP monitor for instance, at a resolution of 1280x960, will default to 85 hz. I can force a refresh rate of 96 hz at that resolution, and get away from any flickers. At 1024x768 my monitor defaults again to 85hz, but I can force a refresh rate of 120hz, and get flicker free stero 3D. At 85hz I can detect a bit of flicker, at 100hz I cannot see any flicker at all, and I try to run at 120hz most of the time. For the stero seperation, I can only suggest staying at 22% untill you get used to the effect. Sometimes it takes a bit of getting used to for our brains to assimalate what we are seeing. If you are seeing double lines or double images try changing your resolution and see if that will force stero to start. Sometimes stero will get a bit cranky about starting up, I have found that changing the resolution within FS2k2 will usually persuade it to start up. If you are having trouble getting the test patterns to start up in the Stero Properties box, change first to a lower refresh rate and try that, then work your refresh rate up until you find the highest rate your system can handle.For Gamma, I set mine in the stero properties box to 1.30 to 1.40 somewhere in that neighborhood should get you close to a good contrast. Generally within the flight sim itself, only one or two taps on CTRL+G will get you to where you want without washing out. Incidentaly, I have changed the hotkey for Gamma decrease to, SHIFT+G, as the default hotkey, ALT+G, will not work within FS2k2 itself. The ALT key brings up the menubar in fullscreen, so I use the Shift key instead. SHIFT+G is not a default hotkey in FS2k2, so that works well.Always fly with your panel lights on, that helps a lot in reading your instruments. Of course some virtual cockpits are much easier to read than others. I love the virtual cockpits in the GA aircraft I usually fly,(Cessnas Archers, Cardinals SF260 etc.), in the heavy iron, which I don't fly much, I use the 2D panels and forgo 3D stero.In my opinion the 3D sterographic holographic effect is the most amazing computer addon that I have seen to date. The learning cycle is there of course, the frustration factor is present, particularly at the beginning, but as you learn how to tweak your indvidual system to the software, it gets better and better, at any rate that is my experience. I have had my glasses for about a year and a half, at the start I had to find drivers that would work with my nVidia G2 64/Pro board, that was a pain, but I overcame it :) I now have a geForce4ti4600 which does work better but again I am restricted to the drivers that will work with my system. Those drivers are the 30.82 pair or the 30.87 pair. I for the life of me, cannot get any drivers in the 40xx series or above to work for me. Actually that doesn't upset me too much as I have never seen a newer driver do much better than any of the older ones anyway. :D If that makes sense?

Guest bigun

Along the same lines of trouble with the glasses. Does anyone here have any suggestions of why my ailerons freeze every time I go to 3d with the edimensional glasses. The yolk in the 3d cockpit moves, but the ailerons do not respond. The glasses are great except I can't use them if I care to control the plane!System is Win XP pro, Athlon XP2100, Geforce3 Ti500, 512 ram.Any help would be appreciated

I don't have a clue as to why your ailerons would freeze using the glasses in 3D. Fortunately I have never had a control problem using the glasses. The only thing I could suggest, is to perhaps, increase your aileron senstiviity a bit and see if that helps. Is any of the other control surfaces affected? Make sure that you haven't accidently hit the "K", key and turned the joystick/yoke off. Other than that, I am bewildered. If you or someone else finds a solution, be sure to post it, as one never knows when the same kind of plroblem may plague us.Good Luck,

Hey wb5, thanks for the awesome post about powerstrip but when I goto display profiles and set like 1024X768 to run at 96Hz it runs that until I turn on my glasses, when I turn my glasses on they goto 74Hz I have set to 100hz in the Stereo properties which I think is good because its closest to the 96Hz, so I turn on my glasses and they goto 74Hz and when I turn em off, The refresh rate goes to the default 60Hz, I tried locking everything in Powerstrip such as the Hz and Khz but to no avail, the 3D glasses goto 74Hz if you could maybe help me if I am doing something wrong...Best Regards

Hey wb5, thanks for the awesome post about powerstrip but when I goto display profiles and set like 1024X768 to run at 96Hz it runs that until I turn on my glasses, when I turn my glasses on they goto 74Hz I have set to 100hz in the Stereo properties which I think is good because its closest to the 96Hz, so I turn on my glasses and they goto 74Hz and when I turn em off, The refresh rate goes to the default 60Hz, I tried locking everything in Powerstrip such as the Hz and Khz but to no avail, the 3D glasses goto 74Hz if you could maybe help me if I am doing something wrong...Best Regards

wb50kj, Thanks for the info on the glasses, you've obviously been through some pain to get them working. It's persuaded me to get mine out of the box again. I only got them last week but was sending them back asap.I was slightly annoyed that installation reverted my 4109 drivers to 3082. Btw I have a TI4600. However things got worse, the glasses worked but several keys in FS2K2 didn't. The major ones being alt and esc. I had to ctrl+alt+del to get out.The 3087 drivers had the same effect in the sim with these keys. The 4109 drivers work the sim OK but of course there are no stereo drivers for these. Sarge27, I don't know how you are running these because I can't get a stereo properties tab with my 4109 drivers.I suppose I could try re-installing FS2K2 after the 3082 drivers but would it need to be a fresh install or could it go over the top, anyone?My last ditch try will be some 40.xx stereo drivers from Guru3d but these are not supported.Once again, thanks for passing things on.CheersBaz

Howdy Baz,Guru3D has some SteroDrivers that are listed as 40xx Stero Drivers. They appear to be the 3087 stero Drivers however. You might want to try, these or the 3087 Stero Drivers with your 40 series regular drivers. Personally I have not been successful with anything higher than the 30.87 set of drivers. Be aware that the Stero Properties using the 40xx series dialogue box is in a different place than they are under the 30xx series drivers. They are found within the Display adapter box itself, i.e. on my system they are found in the tab for the GeForce4ti4600.I have changed the HotKey assignment in the Stero Drivers Advanced properties box. I have changed all of the HotKeys using the "ALT", key to the "Shift", key. They shouldn't conflict with the FS2k2 assignments that way.

On my setup I have set PowerStrip for the resolution I want and then leave it running in my tray. That way if I change resolutions and then come back to my original resolution PowerStrip will run the refresh rate automatically. I have to keep PowerStrip running though and not close it. Be sure that you have saved the changed refresh rate in PowerStrip after getting the fastest rate you can without your monitor going blank. Starting your glaasses up should not make the refresh rate change, it doesn't on my setup anyway. Actually if your Stero Properties, Stero Setup and Test page gives you a 100hz refresh rate at 1024x768, and you get the test running and stero is working, then if you save that in the Stero Properties page you shouldn't have to worry about PowerStrip anyway. If you have saved that setting in Stero Properties when you start up FS2k2 and then Hit CTRL+F2 you should get a 100 hz refresh rate. Look at the double image without your glasses on, if there is very little flicker to no flicker at all the refresh rate is what it is supposed to be. Now put on your glasses, If you have Stero and very little to no flicker everything shuld be ok. Be aware if now you look at your refresh rate by bringing a box up on your screen that shows your monitor controls and the refresh rate, that will kill Stero for you. At that point change the resolution within FS2k to get your stero back.Once in a while I do get a very low refresh rate, if that happens I sometimes have to reboot the computer then kill of extra background apps using EndItAll, and then start fresh. Should do this anyway at the start of a FS episode.Hope you get this sorted out, I have not had any of the problems with PowerStrip.

Guest PhilC

I tried the 4x.xx stereo drivers from 3dguru with the 40.72 video drivers and it only worked one time in stereo mode. I had to roll back to the 30.82 drivers (video & stereo). The 4x stereo drivers are indeed the 30.87's in a wrapper to make them 'work' with the video drivers.My suggestion, don't do it. Stay with the 30.82's or 87's and hope that ED or NVidia get their stuff together.

Well after a few hours poking around I have now got the glasses working with the 4109 and 40xx combination. Yes the new place for the stereo properties had me worried for a while.It only worked the once and then did all sorts of wierd things to FS on the second flight. I think the cure was as you said WB50KJ by disabling the FS assignments that coincided with the stereo hot keys, all of them in fact.I had some trouble with eDimensional's ED controler on the sys tray. A legacy of the first install. In fact I still can't find the little x??xx? to delete it so have just disabled in start up.The only disapointment now is the big FPS hit. With several measurements at default Meigs and an addon Grand Canyon mesh the drop is 60%. In laymans terms, from 20fps to 8fps with AA and T&L off. Nudging Terrain Texture Quality down to 60% gave me a couple back to 11fps with the Canyon mesh. I have an Athlon XP2000 with the TI4600.I've been very pleased with the new TI4600 for Xmas but with the stereo I am back to the old stutters just in the places stereo was made for. WB50KJ do you have the same FPS drop?Baz

I have a framerate decrease, but not that severe. I hav a P4 1.4 Ghz HP machine, with a GeForce4ti4600 card. I usually get an average of 25 fps without stero. With Stero I get an average of 15fps which I have locked my frame rates at. In stero that is acceptable for me. I keep my Terrain Mesh at about 60% as I can't tell any difference in the visual quality of mesh at any higher rate, it just kills my frame rates at a higher percentage. I keep all my water settings off,(all the way left), flying out of Oklahoma City, I don't have that much water any way, and with water off it helps immensly. Sometimes I turn it back on if I am flying to Catalina for instance. :) I keep my visibility down to 20 mi using FSUIPC. Also I keep the visibility slider to minimum, (60 miles), this helps a lot on framerates, and makes it more realistic anyway. I fly mostly VFR GA and I seldom get more than 10 miles visibility in my area in real life anyway.One just has to experiment to get the proper balance of framerates versus how it looks. There is no one setting for everyone. I like a lot of scenery, but I have found what I can live without, and keep the sim that way. I do keep my Autogen fairly high, but not all the way to the right, as the city just doesn't look complete without quite a bit of Autogen detail. Autogen is a frame rate killer though, no question.Again let me suggest turning your Mesh detail down, I know we love that mesh, but it is a killer, frame rate wise. I have found that Stero enhances the scenery quite a bit, so I can live with some of the sliders turned down about half way.Keep working with the glasses and you will find the settings that make you happy, and isn't this continual tweaking about half the fun anyway. :D Finally I did indeed get the 40xx Stero Drivers working with the 40 series drivers, but I had a large frame rate hit with these, I went to about 10 fps using the 40xx Stero Drivers and the 4071 and I also tried the 4180 drivers. I quickly went back to the 3087 Stero Drivers and the 3087 nVidia reference drivers. These work well for me, and so do the 3082 pair. I like either one, and I think I will stay with these until nVidia themselves put up newer drivers on their website. They do have the 3087 Stero Drivers on their website, though they are not WHQL certified as of yet.

I'm not new to FS and have spent loads of time trying to wring the axtra frame out of the sliders on low spec machines. I'm sure that I can get some more back by a few tweaks, it's just that with my new TI4600 buzzing around the 30fps mark with most things maxed I was a bit shocked to be back where I started, fps wise, due to the stereo. I can cope with 12 - 15 but down in the Grand Canyon I was only on 6fps.I fly VFR in the Bell and Cessna and like you have vis set to 20 miles and frame rate locked at 20. With these settings and TTQ at 80%, stereo always gave me a drop of 60%fps.I will try the 3087's but I have been having trouble uninstalling the Nvidia drivers. The driver folder is always left and the new driver tells me that drivers are still installed. I can manually remove the folder but I have a feeling that things are left on the registy. This must be a common problem because I see the "Det Destroyer" on the Nvidia site but it is not for Win XP, which I have.CheersBaz

Have now got things working with the 3087 graphics and stereo drivers and there is almost no drop in frame rate when stereo is switched on, BUT, I now have two thin vertical black lines either side of the screen top to bottom. As I increase seperation these lines move towards the centre of the screen. At a comfortable seperation, about 30%, they are about 1" from the edge of the screen. They are very distracting, has anyone had these?CheersBaz

Guest PhilC

Ahhh, I have just thought about something I did that may have got rid of them. I changed my res in FS2K2 from 1280x960x32 to 1024x768x32. Might want to try that.-------------------------------------------Yes, I had them at one time. They do not appear anymore and I am not sure why. I have changed the drivers a few times before settling on the 30.82's. Could that have something to do with it?Can anyone give any info about these lines?

Thanks for your very informed response to my issues. I did discover that my Viewsonic drivers were loaded improperly. I now have refresh rates available that range from 70 MHz to 120 Mhz. I then tried setting a 100 Mhz refresh rate for 800 X 600 and 1024 X 768 resolutions. I was not getting any double images displayed during the Setup Test, and when I closed everything to the desktop, my desktop expanded, I could not see the menu or status bars on the desktop image. I was like it had zoomed in on the screen images.I haven't tried altering the refresh rates with Powerstrip yet, so that will be my next challenge following your suggested procedure. I truly wish these glasses were not so finicky to get working properly. Edimensional needs to really provide users with the "foolproof" (tried and true) method for getting everything synced properly so the frustration factor does not set in with the user. My 3-D stereo effect is an off again, on again experience. I would just like to have it working when I want it to work. Edimensional, if you are reading this and based on a lot of other users' posts, we need help here using your product. I love the effect when it is working, but I despise all the work-arounds.Perhaps I will have better luck using the Powerstrip. We shall see!Keith