Sign in to follow this  

New computer. Now I'm broke and grounded! Please Help

Previous enjoyment with FS 2002 using the ole trusty slow, low memory computer. Landings weren't always pretty, but I "walked away" from most of them.So Santa brings me this new computer with all the bells and whistles.Pentium 2.4 ghz, 120 gig HD, XP home, 512 DDR SDRAM, GeForce 4 graphics etc. etc. I use a MS Sidewinder precision 2 joystick.Flying seems great. Everything seems to be working OK. Scenery is awesome. But! I CAN'T LAND. No matter what aircraft I drive, I do OK thru final approach, then when I get within about a mile of the runway, it feels like I get hit with a 200 knot crosswind (both directions). I've reloaded joystick driver, downloaded DirectX9,downloaded lengthy XP patch, I have tried minimizing scenery.I am at wits end! The only thing I haven't done is a complete reinstall of FS 2002.Really frustrated since I spent the big bucks for the new computer only to upgrade my flight sim enjoyment.Any suggestions, other than recommending suicide most appreciated.

Guest kilo_sierra17

Uninstall FS2002, make sure you delete the directory that is left over, there are some files that get left over, then do a FULL install of the game, let us know what happens.

Guest nutmeat

1) You might try adjusting the joystick sesitivities within the FS. With a faster computer, you can set them way back (to the left), especially if you are on an USB.2) FSUIPC has the ability to adjust control settings and they work very well. You should give it a try. Also, there is a setting to compensate for "wiggles" in the control inputs which might be there from your joystick or its interface; this helps a lot in smooth inputs for flight.As one gets closer to the airport, such as in the final landing phase, small changes in control input can result in major swings of direction.nutmeat

If you installed any joystick drivers from the CD, uninstall them. Turn computer off and restart with joystick plugged into usb port. XP Home will load it's own drivers.

I appreciate all suggestions. Pardon my computer ignorance, but what is FSUIPC? Thanks

Guest frankcubillos
http://schiratti.com/dowson.htmlA must have for FS02, quite a few add-on's require it. And it's great to really tweak your joystick (amongst a ton of other tweaks and improvements). Make sure to read the comprehensive docs.Another idea for you before you uninstall FS02 as suggested above, move the fs2002.cfg out of your FS2002 main directory and launch FS02, this forces it to regenerate another fs2002.cfg. You'll have to reset all your preferences, but this has been known to fix "wierd" happenings in FS02 before....Enjoy the new rig! :-wave---Banners? We don't need no stinkin' banners!---Visualize ProjectAI sig banner here.

Well, I have reinstalled FS 2002. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the joystick, using the PC automatic driver selection. Still can't drive aircraft. I now not that at default joystick sensitivity, I can not get full thrust range on joystick throttle control.Your advice about moving the program out of the directory is just a little bit beyond my present computer skill level.I have visited the FSUIPC home page. Would I want the FSUIPC run page or the new one which says version 2.95? Also, what location would I download too? Would I zip? Would I open? Does the software automatically find a home? Sorry for sounding do dumb, but I just feel I have traded my ole Celeron 50, for a $1200 flying brick!

Download 2.95, if you dont have Winzip get that here http://www.winzip.com/ Unzip FSUIPC in a new folder and read the instructions place the FSUIPC.dll file in the modules folder of Flight Simulator.... Start flight sim and at the top there will be a modules area, in that area your can calibrate your joystick, and set weather options

He's running XP Home so he doesn't need winzip?? Just double click the FSUIPC download and drag the contents to the desktop. The dll file goes into the FS2002 main module folder. That's it. Read the lengthy readme file to figure it all out.As far as the joystick goes, you can configure it in the settings in game itself and also within FSUIPC. Once in the sim, hit the alt key and open it from the menu on top of your screen. Select joystick, I believe.

Guest frankcubillos

Hopefully this graphic will make it a little easier to understand.Hope it works for you! :-)---Banners? We don't need no stinkin' banners!---Visualize PAI sig banner here.

I was able to download FSUIPC to my desktop. It sits in a seperate icon from FS 2002. XP did automatically open the zipped files.I don't wish to sound unappreciative for your help, but FSUICP just seems too intimidating for my minimal computer skills. The instructions advise to move the program into the modules, but as you can expect this is just a little too advanced for me.I can't help but think that my system ought to be able to operate FS 2002 with the Microsoft packages. Would I have any luck calling the tech support folks at HP, or does Microsoft provide any user support for a dilema such as mine? I am almost to frustration level of bringing my ole Celeron 500 back into service.Sorry that I am such a computer klutz, but I honestly thought that this new system would expand my Flight Sim Skills, but I am too the point that I wish I never visited the computer store.

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Is real weather on? Using WxRE or FSMeteo?

Guest Lindy

Relax and take a deep breath. Trust us....... once you get this thing figured out, you'll REALLY enjoy your simming experience.It's just possible that after flying for so long on a Celeron 500 mhz machine, you may just need to practice a bit longer with your new rig before making any drastic changes. You do say that everything is working well except for when you are ready to land, right? Make sure your joystick is calibrated within Windows XP as well as from within FS2K2. I sometimes get some weird joystick action as I approach an airport too.As for FSUIPC, don't worry about it right now. But if you want to get it into its new home, just take that dll file that you found after XP unzipped the folder. Go to your main FS2002 folder and look for a file folder named "Modules." Open that folder and drop the dll file in there. It probably doesn't have much else in it at this point. That's all you need to do with it for now. Good luck with it. Keep us posted on your progress.-Lindy :-wave

Stratus and Lindy, thanks for your continued support. Real weather is not enabled. I am not sure about the other weather components you mentioned, but I did clear the weather settings.Lindy, you are so much on point that I am over reacting. I did take a deep breath as you suggested, and somehow I will get this issue resolved and climb up the learning curve on FS.I am embarrassed to keep annoying you with such trivial matters, but I can not figure out how to calibrate the Joy stick in Windows. I've been thru the ritual several times in FS, but I can't even find the joystick in the control panel access. XP seems so much different than the ole W95 and W98.BTW: I just drove the 737 into a beautiful landing at Ohare. Greased landing, center of the runway at 120 knots, but before I could hit the thrust reversers the aircraft veered uncontrollably to the left, across two taxiways before I could hit the pause button. O well, at least I found Chicago!Thanks everyone for your continued patience

I am not sure if this means anything but the Joystick instruction manual referred to some instructions accessed thru the Joystick icon on the task bar. Guess what. No such icon on the task bar. I know that it was always parked there in Windows 98. Might this have some bearing on my problems. Is the joystick program only activated when FS is up? May sound silly, but I can't find the joystick software.