Sign in to follow this  

New computer. Now I'm broke and grounded! Please Help

Guest sunstriker

HiHave you tried to set up the joystick from within FS.Press alt go to options on the top bar; go to controls; go to calibrate joystick. Have a look at sensitivities too while your there.Sorry you are in probs - just try m8 you cant mess much up.As for FSUIPC just drag the FSUIPC.dll file to fs modules..Sun

I am getting the impression you have never opened any folders in the program files folder before, if so, not a problem, like Lindy said, take a deep breath. There is no reason to want to go back to the Celeron, every PC is finicky, they don't always do what we want the first time. If you are using the XP theme you can change it to look like the 98 one by rightclicking on the desktop and changing views to windows classis, this might help since you are used to that feel. Once you spend some time getting to understand how the file system is set up on your PC and "feeling" your way into all the folders you will be able to troubleshoot and install addons more effectively. what you fly out of the box, is a pinprick compared to what it can be with all the additions you can dd to this sim.The suggestion by Frank to delete the FS2002 cfg file is a good one, it has helped me a few times as well. If you have questions, we will do our best to help!Regards, Michael

Best, Michael

KDFW

Michael, thanks for your suggestions. I right clicked on the desktop, and the theme is shown as Windows Classic, so I must have already revised the presentation. I have still been unable to find the Joystick Software Icon, so I haven't been able to do a non FS calibration. As far as the suggestion to delete FS 2002 cfg, well, that is just a bit to far up the tree for my present climbing abilities.You are no doubt on point my expectations for a "airworthy" FS may not have taken into consideration some unique traits of my computer.I was likely spoiled having previously made flawless transition from W95 to W98 while "upgrading" to my then state of the art 500 GHz speedster.Admittedly, computer skills come more difficult to me do to age. When I learned to fly, it cost $11.00 per hour to rent an airplane, wet (fuel included) with a flight instructor. And the only technology one had to learn was how to read a compass, altimeter, airspeed indicator, and possibly learn to spell VOR. With my wings long ago retired do to poor eyesight and other health issues, the pleasures I derive from FS go personally far beyond just the entertainment of a video game.Again, thanks everyone for trying to lead me thru this.

Hey boone,Here is the procedure, step by step, to delete the FS2002.CFG:1 - Start -> Programs -> Acessories -> Windows Explorer;2 - In the window that opens, click "My Computer" on the left portion of that window;3 - Under "My Computer", click "Program Files" -> "Microsoft Games" -> Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002";4 - On the right portin of window, select the file "FS2002.CFG";5 - Press the DELETE key and answer YES to confirm;6 - Restart FS2002 (hopefully it should fix your problem)Let us know... :)

The very best way to overcome what is a very normal reluctance to go rooting around "under the hood" is to go rooting around under the hood. You will soon be able to find your way around FS2002 very easilly. Don't be afraid of this - it's hard to do anything that is not easilly fixed. A couple of other thoughts:1. Make sure you have only one button on a controller assigned to rudder trim. If you have a joystick, separate rudder pedals or a separate throttle with programmable buttons, you want to make sure that only the buttons on one controller are assigned to trim - or they will conflict. 2. Within FS2002, make sure that the sensitivity of your controller is high enough to actually be recognized by the program. To do this, start FS2002 and open a flight. Under the contols section look for "sensitivities" and make sure that the sliders are over to the right at least 1/2 to 2/3 of the way. 3. Make sure that your joystick works with Windows XP. Open up your control panel from the Start Menu, and open up the Game Controllers icon. Select your joystick and double click on it. You should have a tab at the top of the next window marked either "advanced" or "calibrate". Follow the instructions for calibrating the joystick either on the screen, or in the docs that came with the stick. You may need to get a new driver from the manufactuers web site for the stick to make it compatible with XP. 4. Install FSUIPC - simply copy and paste the fsuipc.dll file from the download into the modules file within the FS2002 files. See the post above - instead of deleting the config file, simply open the folder marked "modules" and paste the fsuipc.dll file in. Read the instructions (!) and play with the settings. This is the very best way to make sure your joystick is working properly and to set it with null zones of your liking. These should work. There is absolutely no reason that your new computer won't work with FS2002 easilly.

Thanks Arlei and CWR, Arlie, thanks for your road map to delete FS2002.CFG. The route didn't exactly work with my configuration, but in some other fashion I found the program, and removed it to my wastebasket.CWR, I seem to do best leaving all joystick settings at default. The calibrate function the controller access took me to is the same calibration method that I could find in the settings of FS.I am not sure how to tell if a joystick button has somehow latched onto the rudder. I do not have pedals, and I believe the pivot of the joystick is my only rudder control. The rudder seems to work fine on ground taxi, so I suspect it is OK.I have changed USB ports for the joystick. I find no performance difference whether or not Norton AV is disabled or not.My problem persists. I seem to make a proper approach to a runway, then as I near the overrun area, it is as if the airport scenery is on a carpet which is pulled sideways out from under me. This dilema even exists when making final at 1/2 speed simulation speed.Should I keep FS2002.CFG in my wastebasket for possible reinstallation? Sorry for my ignorance, but "pasteing" the FSUIPC is still just a little above my "flight qualifications"Thanks guys

I don't want to sound harsh, and believe me, I know how frustrating it can be to not have the system working, but the solution to your problems will probably be hastened if you are willing to experiment a bit and go exploring around. I am sure you can cut/copy and paste - that is all we are doing here. Copy the fsuipc.dll from the download, go into the MSFS2002 files via My Computer, find the modules file, open it and paste in the DLL. That's it. As simple as cutting and pasting text in a document. The interface is complicated, but the instructions are good and with a few flicks of your joystick, you will see the input changes and it really won't be that hard to establish your settings. . How great is the "moving the carpet?" When you fly an approach on autopilot does it do the same thing (i.e. track the glideslope perfectly, then slew wildly to the side)? What is the magnification? It is very hard to land if your magnification (Under View Options - the setting is on the upper right hand side of that dialogue box) is less than say .90. Line up is one of the hardest things in FS2002 because you have no physical sensation of movement under you - you can't sense the plane's inertia like you can when your butt is actually attached to the moving airframe. You have only visual cues and it is difficult. I would load an aircraft with an approach button on its auto pilot and let the plane fly an appraoch and see what happens. Then at least you will know if it is you or the installation. Barring that I think your best bet will be to uninstall FS2002 (via the Install/Uninstall Programs icon on your control panel) and re-install it. If your rudder works everywhere but on the last 100 feet of your approach, then it is probably working and not the computers fault. Colin

Colin....you done it! Bingo. Magnification was 1.0.I drove the 737 from KC to St. Louis. Autopilot approach with good visual and compass alignment to 12 right. Altimeter showed 200 ft. over runway threshold, and rate of descent set at 500 fpm. I "split the uprights" Autopilot put the aircraft down as smooth as silk, right in the center of the runway! Now if I could only land the 172 so easily!Clearly my FS is working just fine. By elimination, the problem is obviously some hypersensitivity with the joystick. I'll find the solution! I still have some cold feet about the cut and paste advise as I have never tried it, but I feel like I can once again wear my FS wings.Thanks everyone.