Sign in to follow this  
Guest tgabriel

R4D - DC-3 Progress Report

Guest Javis

>Jan, >>Thanks for the detailed reply! Least I know it's not my eyes ->or my monitor! >Just as a point of interest, what resolution did you design>this aircraft on? >The 1.33 or 1.25 ratio makes an interesting comparison on many>aircraft in FS, some are obviously designed on one ratio,>others on the other. The Caravan, for example, looks more>realistic in 1.25:1, as does the default DC-3, whereas the>Baron and the King Air look awful in anything other than>1.33:1. I've grown accustomed to using 1280x1024 on my 21" CRT>and adjusting settings to suit, but as I probably will only>fly the MAAM aircaft and a couple of others I could create a>couple of monitor presets to use when switching.>My guess is you're using 1.25:1... 1280x1024?I have 1152x864 for my desktop but use 1280x960 for FS. 1280x1024 gives rather wide dark edges on my 22" monitor,sometimes use 1600x1200 for FS, but i find these settings most comfortable for my eyes. All aircraft look nice here with 1280x960, that is if the're designed nicely. ;-)Jan

or just release a CD image as a downloadable product for people to burn their own.With the current number of highspeed connections it could be a viable option :)

Hi Jeroen,This would be an option for those with high-speed connection but only as an additional option, rather than as the only one. With my dial-up connection I can just about tolerate the 15-hours needed for the 100Mb-or-so packages, such as FlightOne's IWI series, but for some of the 600-odd Mb packages this is totally impossible. There's at least one AI package I'd love to have, but its download only, and the 40 hours connection I'd need is just not an option. Even with a resumeable link, tying up my only phone line for two days isn't prudent just at the moment (I'm on standby in case of a terrorist attack in London.)Still, if offered as an alternative to the CD it would probably take some of the pressure off Bill and the other MAAM-Sim volunteers !Cheers,Alastair

Guest ceejay

I'll quit cursing myself for missing the '02 MAAM then and second the CD image availability.

Guest foreigndevil

I wonder if it would be possible for the development team to add a visible co-pilot when in VC view. It's nice to have someone next to you when things go wrong. Except for the wonderful planes by Bill and Lynn Lyons there are so very few planes that have virtual co-pilots an I think it would really suit this masterpiece to have one. BT already has a virtual co-pilot voice for certain actions, why not include the same and more in the DC-3? (I know it's a lot of work, so, it's just an idea; the plane will be great with or without)

Guest sapper42

G'Day Bill, another question about the DC3 in regards to the repaint(s) that will be inevitable, will there be an option / choice within the model to show the DC3 with and without the Astro Dome behind the cockpit when selecting the AC ?. I ask this because obviously there will be repaints of this model of AC that are currently in opperation around the world that have had the astro dome removed.thks & rgds Jeff

Guest Javis

>G'Day Bill, another question about the DC3 in regards to the>repaint(s) that will be inevitable, will there be an option />choice within the model to show the DC3 with and without the>Astro Dome behind the cockpit when selecting the AC ?. I ask>this because obviously there will be repaints of this model of>AC that are currently in opperation around the world that have>had the astro dome removed.>>thks & rgds JeffHi Jeff,Modelmaker speaking. Initially you'll have a choice of 3 different DC-3 configs to enjoy repainting. The R4D itself, with the astrodome included ( besides the astrodome,very typical config this one, with its elongated airscoops and not so common pax door,usually not really fit for civil repaints,no supercharger allowed for civil DC-3's )and two civil versions, both without the astrodome.One with starboard side folding-down-airstair-pax-door and another one very common port side pax/cargodoor combination. The latter being a freighter but will also be issued as pax config later as will a number of other different configurations ( hopefully including Cyclone equipped DC-3 ) Just take your pick. :-cool Jan

Guest sapper42

Sensational Jan, looking forward to the old girl even more now, actually went for a flight on one this last Sunday and had a ball and she is considered a new AC due to the lack of hours on her.She is an ex C47 and uses the port side pax/cargodoor for passenger entry. Ive just about completed the Default FS repaint but sadly due to the texture template i cant do her sister due to the mirror effect that will create an incorrect repaint so im really looking forward to your version !thks & rgds Jeff

Guest allenp

I found with great interest the DC-3 config of the common port side pax/cargo door. This was the standard version for Reeve Aleutian. I've hundreds of hours in it as 3rd Crew. (I took care of the bird, cargo and pax flying the Aleutians. We also had a special engine conversion (could be your Cyclone equip, not sure). This engine had a different engine nasal and short stacks for each of the jugs. Sounded like a B-25 and was beautiful at night on the port side as you saw the flames from the exhaust. Also interesting was that this version was heated by av gas heaters. Exciting moments when you smelled fuel fumes!!!Looking forward to the new G-max. I continue to fly the G-max version 8. Looking forward to the improvements.