Sign in to follow this  
Guest iandavid

R4D range

Guest iandavid

With a full load of fuel, what would be a typical max range for the R4D?Paul Gardner

Guest allcott

If you figure on an average cinsumption of 100 gals/hr, 800 gals of fuel, and a cruising speed around 130 knots, you ought to be able to go about 1050-1100 nautical miles with fair winds and good leaning.I'd probably plan on 900, plus diversion.Allcott

Starting with 100% fuel, I managed to get from SCIP to SCFX in the south pacific using the UAL passenger DC-3, which is nearly a 1600nm trip as the crow (or DC-3) flies.. Forgot to check the fuel remaining before I quit flightsim, but I think the shift-Z said 15%-16% remaining when I shutdown....Probably could have gone further if I'd climbed higher than 11,000 and/or set my mixtures lower....

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

Don't get too excited about this range. The patch which I am working on now will increase the too slow fuel flow scalar as a result of testing by our friends at DC-3 Airways. If you want to get a jump on the patch, go into your aircraft.cfg with Notepad and do a word search for "flow". Change the .7 to .97, save and go fly again.Bill Rambow MAAM-SIM - Rambow, Visser, Banting, Young, Womack, and Sodjahttp://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/maamsim_logo.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Guest lvds

HiI have not been fligtsimming for a year now but discovered the new MAAM DC-3 a few weeks ago. Yesterday the CD arrived. I am currently getting familiar with it again by browsing this forum and the manual. It is great to renew the my long acquintance with the R4D!!I noticed that after installation (edition 5) the abovementioned figure in the aircraft.cfg file is still .7Does this mean it was not patched after all? Would you recommend to change it manually?byebyeLeander van der Spek

I guess the CD contains the unpatched version and you should download and install the patch yourself.

Guest lvds

Hi Jeroen,I have a very recent version of the CD (5th edition) which should contain the patched version acording to the MAAM-SIM website. Are you sure the patch contains the modification on the fuel flow?byeLeander

Hi Leander,You scared me for a minute and made me look. I just pulled out an Edition 5 R4D disc from the latest batch and did a dummy installation, then looked at the aircraft.cfg's with heart in mouth. Was it possible the patch was not in the newest edition?Nope. It is patched and the fuel flow scalar is set at .97 Let's be sure we are talking about the same thing. Here is the relevant section of the aircraft.cfg:[GeneralEngineData]engine_type=0Engine.0=8.333333,-10.800, -1.250000Engine.1=8.333333, 10.800, -1.250000fuel_flow_scalar=0.97min_throttle_limit=0.02master_ignition_switch=1max_contrail_temperature=-25 If you are looking at somethind else, please let us all know. This was the first and only, so far, burn batch of 5th Edition CD's, so they are all identical. Both 4th and 5th Editions are already patched.Bill Rambow MAAM-SIM - Rambow, Visser, Banting, Young, Womack, Sodja & Beaumonthttp://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/maamsim_logo.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Guest lvds

Hi Bill,I am very sorry to have spooked you. But although I would rather feel ashamed of not have looked good enough I am a bit afraid I am not mistaken (I hope I am though).I copied and pasted the following lines (including white lines) from the aircraft.cfg within the folder MAAM-SIM R4-6:[GeneralEngineData]engine_type=0Engine.0=8.333333,-10.800, -1.250000Engine.1=8.333333, 10.800, -1.250000fuel_flow_scalar=0.7 // was 1.0 RYmin_throttle_limit=0.02master_ignition_switch=1The aircraft.cfg within the folder MAAM-SIM DC-3 Passenger contains the same lines:[GeneralEngineData]engine_type=0Engine.0=8.333333,-10.800, -1.250000Engine.1=8.333333, 10.800, -1.250000fuel_flow_scalar=0.7 // was 1.0 RYmin_throttle_limit=0.02master_ignition_switch=1max_contrail_temperature=-25 max_contrail_temperature=-25 BTW I still use FS2k2 and installed your great planes for this package. Could that be it?byebyeLeander

Guest lemonadedrinker

would the Amphibian be even more uneconomical than the others?

Yup, that's it. Whoops! FS2002, huh. You got me. I tend to think in FS2004 terms, only. Sorry, the 2K2 version indeed did not get patched. That's completely my fault - an obvious senior moment. *:-* It looks like there will be a 6th Edition coming out soon. So you will have to apply the FS8 patch. You can get it here: http://www.avsim.com/~maamdev/r4d_8_p1.zipBill Rambow MAAM-SIM - Rambow, Visser, Banting, Young, Womack, Sodja & Beaumonthttp://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/maamsim_logo.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Guest lvds

HiNo sweat. Thanks for the patch!! I should be getting FS9 I guess :)byeLeander

Guest lvds

Hi,The FS8 patch contained files that were already installed after installing version 5. The patch did not contain an aircraft.cfg file with the altered fuel flow values though. Never mind Bill; I changed them by hand.Thanks for helping me out though!byeleander

Yes, I realized that the other day. It was included in the FS9 patch, but got left out of the FS8 patch. Sorry about that. Bill Rambow MAAM-SIM - Rambow, Visser, Banting, Young, Womack, Sodja & Beaumonthttp://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/maamsim_logo.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org