Sign in to follow this  
Guest Javis

Gentlemen, get your snorkels and flippers ready !

Of course while the DC-3 floatplane is big, its somewhat smaller than the Boeing Clipper, which is, of course, a "proper" flying boat with an integral boat-like hull. Having the latter (with the current update) it will be interesting to compare with the "bootied" DC-3, which I suspect is rather less sedate ! Dealing with something, fully laden, that only climbs, at best, at around 50fpm or less, is an interesting challenge !Cheers,Alastair

Guest Railrunner130

Any idea when this interesting beast will hit the local lakes and rivers?

Still under testing right now, Rail man, so there's still work to do. Jan is working on the amphibious gear right now, and Rob is revisiting the air dynamics of this somewhat different DC-3!As for textures, the format for those is also under refinement. Basically, you should be able to adapt other liveries to this lady fairly easily at the end of the day. However, bear in mind that in the real world, four out of the five were in USAF C-47 colours (probably all olive green, although possibly brown also) and the sole aircraft converted for commercial passenger use (of which I'm aware, anyway) is that of Folsom's Air Service, Greenville, Maine. You can see pictures of this lady and an XC-47C at Trev Morson's site:http://www.douglasdc3.com/float/float.htmI suspect she'll find her way into quite a few VAs, though, don't you?! DC-3 Airways is the launch customer, for sure:http://www.dc3airways.com/float.htmlMark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest Railrunner130

Thanks for the info and all the great work!! You bet it'll be repainted. I imagine there'll be a BFU paint out fairly quickly among others.

Guest Railrunner130

This thread has been quiet for a while. Any news?

Guest bobdawkins

will this aircraft be freeware as I love flying the DC3, but I can't afford payware, as do to a family being with out a mother and wife, I have had to give up work to look after my young children and flying helps to wile away the hours, Bob

Guest allcott

Bob, This is a free addon to the payware R4D-6/DC-3 available from the MAAM website on CD alone. One without the other won't do you any good for landing on water!Allcott

Guest EdrickV

I have been avoiding payware add-ons, since I would likely spend far too much money on stuff I can't use or won't use enough to be worth the price, (there is a lot of nice freeware stuff out there) but for a DC-3 on amphib floats I may actually have to buy it. Besides, the money goes to a good cause. :)"Let me help you out. You're cleared to taxi any way you can to any runway you see."

Guest Railrunner130

It's an excellent cause. I wish all payware money went to similar projects. Heck, I wish all the money from selling flight sim went towards such a cause!