Sign in to follow this  
frantzy

Go Flight GF166 awesome!

I resisted the GoFLight units for a long time because I already use multiple monitors so my radios are accessible already. I also use a Hagstrom board to control almost everything else. Still, I've been pretty good this year ;-) so I asked Santa for two 166s. I have to admit, I sort of dreaded having to set them up and configure them,etc. Well, you know what? They are the easiest hardware addon ever! I've never seen anything else that earns the term "plug and play" to the extent that these do. Amazing to see the LEDs come alive immediately. I booted FS2K2 and the Comm and Nav freqs popped up with no effort whatsoever. I was even amazed to see the LEDs go black when I turned off the avionics switch. Amazing!I was also pleased to see they were relatively compact in size - not quite as small as the real units in a plane but close. The GF45s always look too large and cartoonish in their pics, so I'm glad I waited. Also surprised to see thickness is clearly not a limiting factor - maybe a 1/2 inch thick! The magnetic labels are just icing on the cake. If I have just one criticism it is the length of the tuning knobs. They stick out much farther than they should - just waiting for me to accidentally trip over (and break!) as I climb in my cockpit. Seems like an easy fix - I'm surprised they didn't shop around more for more suitable rotary switches.Overall, a must have! I would love for them to come out with a more suitable Xponder shape unit and an interface for the Garmin units! I can definitely see I'll be adding on to this!David

Your post wouldve been perfect had you included a picture or link of the 166s. Fact is, Im just too lazy to look myself. :)Craig

Guest pumrigar

As far as I know, the latest version of the Garmins support the GF166s.Pesi

Pesi,I think that is probably true but the differing number of rotary switches and pushbuttons requires more creativity to adapt it than I am capable of. ;-)David

David,Glad to see your post...since I have a bunch of GoFlight equipment on the way: 3 GF 166s, 1 pushbutton module, 1 toggle module, and a GF45PM. I agree with your opinion of the GF45, but I wanted to be able to closely model the real world aircraft I fly. Juggling radios and transponder codes is my biggest weak spot on solo cross countries so far.Mike

ugcx_banner.png