Sign in to follow this  
Guest wsteph

Strange R4-D Engine Start

Guest Edd1

In reply to the driver question, I am presently using 6.14.00.6422 dated 01/27/04. I usually try each one, as they are released, butI seem to get better graphics with this one. None have caused any problems starting the R4D-6, BT, or any of the other aircraft. I wish I could help, but not being schooled in the computer field, I can only relate my experiences.----I also like spot view to watch the smoke.Ed W

Guest wsteph

I'm using 6.14.10.6458 dated 6/10/2004. Could be something with the newer drivers that's causing the problem.

More about starting engines.When I first started usind the sample flights provided by MAAM I could only start them in spot plane view. I was using the one with the BEA cargo aircraft. After a while I could not start the engines at all - either manually or with Ctrl-E. Then when I moved the non-starting DC-3 to anaother airport (I used CYYZ) the engines started OK. Then I shut it down. Then I moved the aircraft back to Gatwick. And it started just fine. So I saved it with the original MAAM file name and then replaced the original provided by MAAM. But I stlll kept starting the aircraft using the spot plane view because I had decided that was the way MAAN wanted us to start them.When I read these posts I decided to try starting the DC-3 in 2D panel view and they start just fine. I don't know what changed where but now I can start all of the MAAM aircraft in any view.I have an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro with driver level 6.14.10.6396 30/09/2003Bill S.

I Think that is the problem!... It happens with me that sometimes I can start the engines without any problem. Then, with everything the same way (switch settings, etc.) and the same procedure, the engines will not start!When this happens I quit FS9, start it again and there they will start roaring as soon as press the switch!Regards,

...and more on engine starting...It would appear that the engine starting problems may be unique to specific graphics cards or CPU types. Here is what I found on my system.The .FLT file gets corrupted at times, for example:[Engine Parameters.1.0]ThroPropellerLeverPct=0.005828857421875MixtureLeverPct=0.005828857421875ttleLeverPct=0.019999999552965164[Engine Parameters.2.0]ThrottleLeverPct=0.019999999552965164MixtureLeverPct=0.005828857421875ttleLeverPct=0.019999999552965164Notice the 1st line for engine 1 (ThrottleLeverPCt) and the 3rd line in both cases.This is the way it should be (the numbers may vary)[Engine Parameters.1.0]ThrottleLeverPct=0.019999999552965164PropellerLeverPct=1MixtureLeverPct=1Pct Engine RPM=0After I repaired the non-starting .FLT file the DC-3 started just fine. Now I keep a copy of the 3 good lines handy for patching into a corrupted .FLT file's Engine Parameters..I have also noticed that occasionally the information below the [Main] has been corrupted. Title, Description, etc.Has anyone else found this type of corruption of the engine parameters?Bill

Guest wsteph

I've just purchased an LCD monitor that requires a display resolution of 1280x1084 and, when using FS at that resolution, don't seem to have anymore problems starting the engines. That goes for the R4D, DC-3, and DC-3 with the IFR mod panels.I know that using FS at a higher resolution is not an option for many users, but I thought I'd pass along this finding for those that can use FS at higher res and have the engine start issues.

Guest AirRyan

What .FLT file are you talking about? I just got the R4D today for FS9, using it with a 9800 Pro and no, the starters don't appear to work. I can CNTL-E and they start right up, but as soon as I shut the engines down I still can't start them again. I've tried in 2D, VC, and SPOT plane, all to no avail. I'm running the ATI drivers 6.14.10.5458 FWIW. Great aircraft, but I sure I hope I can get her started!

Guest wsteph

The same one I created from the MAAM saved flights, in which I changed the startup airport and then saved the flight as my own. I didn't make any changes to the file, I only increased the resolution I play FS at in order to match the native resolution of the monitor. The engine start problem seems to be affected by resolution settings. At least on my end. I'm running ATI drivers (from the Asus site) 6.14.10.6476.

Guest Edd1

Thats a strange situation. I tried the starting sequence in the resolutions available to my system and couldn't find a starting problem.Someone should be able to solve this mystery.Sorry. but I don't have that expertise. Good luck.Ed W

Guest AirRyan

Any ideas of what to try next? I lowered the resolution but to no avail. I can't imagine what the problem could be if I can CTL-E the engines, shut them off, and still not get them to start?

If you check earlier in the threads for this problem I have given a work-around. You will need to use Notepad to open the flightname.flt file and repair it. (flightname is whatever name you are starting the flight with) Make sure you keep good copies of the repaired file. You will find your .flt files in My Domuments/Flight Simulator.Bill

Just a follow-up on my previous post.If you want to repair one of the MAAM flights then you will have to go to your FS2004/flights folder. There you should find the MAAM flights and their .flt files. Good luck.Bill

Guest AirRyan

Sure enough my numbers were off, but even after changing them I still get no joy. What could possibly be causing this?

>>Sure enough my numbers were off, but even after changing them>I still get no joy. What could possibly be causing this?Do you mean you still can NOT start the engines? Even with Ctrl-E?Bill

Guest AirRyan

I can start them no problem with the CNTL-E keystroke, just not with the starter switch on the overhead panel with the mouse.