Sign in to follow this  
Dark Moment

DC-3 Repaint Templates released!

Guest danowat

That a real nice paintjob you have their Ed, she looks like a real sweetieDan.

Guest NC_Rotorhead

Hey there Holiday,Question for you. Besides another great repaint.....your red color layer....do you make it slightly opaque so as to see the metal texture underneigth? Thanks Steve

Guest Holliday

I copy the color layer and use different blending modes for each of the two layers. The upper layer I use multiply and the bottom layer I use soft light. Both are opaque. The bottom layer (soft light) seems to add back some of the brightness that the multiply layer lacks.

Top left on the bm_fuse_2_t.bmp, Ed, for the actual vent; but the interior blue there is bottom right on the cabin.bmp. I note that in my README, and provide the file textured for bare metal in my repaint kit .... ;-) You can colour it as you wish, of course.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest Holliday

Thanks Mark, I am officially admonished. I read the README, but there is a lot of stuff there. But now I know. This repaint was a joy compared to the MATS nightmare. It took an appropriately short amount of time. I already had the Dan-Air font and logo made for a previous repaint.

Don't go too fast, Ed. I painted Dan Air myself for FS2002 (see www.swiremariners.com/dc3.html) in an earlier Dan Air font but when they carried the logo font you have there the cheatline tapered away nicely to the tailplane. Have a look at two shots here:www.douglasdc3.com/dc3lpool/dc3lpool.htmIt'll be a popular repaint though, when you're done!Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest NC_Rotorhead

Thank you Holiday.....those little 3 lines told me a lot, as well as gave me ideas. Thanks for sharing that.RegardsSteve

Hi Ed,I downloaded the above yesterday and it makes a fine addition to the R4D fleet. Great job !On a technical note, for those who are thinking about converting the textures to DXT3 to reduce the visual load, I would recommend NOT doing this. Unlike the default textures, which convert well, the MATS livery ends up rather blurry, especially around the tail (at least it did with mine) so in this case it is best left with the original 32-bit textures.Best wishes,Alastair

Ah, but with or without MIPS, Alastair? For multiplayer use I convert mine to DXT3 WITHOUT MIPS which gives you key files of 1.00MB rather than 4.00MB in 32bit, and they're perfectly sharp. They'd be 1.33MB each with MIPS and yes, you'd be likely to see the blurries on some cards and in some conditions.Jan is actually considering releasing future "painted" liveries as DXT3 to cut down on these big file sizes, although bare metal liveries will probably stay as 32bit as the difference in quality is more noticeable there.Horses for courses, though.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest Holliday

Mark is right, Mips are not our friend. It

If you mean above the logo on each side, Ed, those are markings to cut the aircraft for escape. I think they say "Emergency" on the first line and "Cut Here" on the second, can't remember offhand. Anyway, they were particular to that paint in bare metal tail style and you'll notice the logo lettering is different too. Yours is fine, I think, although I find the red a little too bright perhaps ... maybe just my view. That stripe looks MUCH better now, great.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest Holliday

Thanks Mark. I'll play with the color some more. It's tricky getting an exact match because of the multiply mode problem. I used the dual layer, dual mode trick. I'll drop the opacity on the soft light layer and see if I can tone down the red.