Sign in to follow this  
Guest ogeva

Repaint question

Guest ogeva

Hello all,I am sure sombody here will be able to answer quickly enough...My repaint is going preety well, and she's almost ready for release.I can't find where to change the spinner color, though.This is one small detail, but I hate to detract from the realism of my repaint for such a small issue.Could someone please tell me the name of the file and where in it do I control the spinner color?

Guest ogeva

Here it is - 4X-AES stationed in Eilat Holzman airport as an Arkia historic piece. It is in flying condition.I took this photo during a holiday visit 2 months ago.dakota3.jpg" border=1And here is my version for FS:arkiadc3.jpg" border=1As you can see, the real thing's spinners are grey, not black as mine.But I can't seems to find where to change them in the texture file, and this is where I need your help.Other than that it's just making the pilots Arkia pilots and doing the interior.Oren

I don't have your specific answer, but when I'm trying to locate parts of a repaint, I make a multi-colored checkerboard pattern and replace each texture file in turn, until the part I'm lookig for comes up in one of the checkerboard colors. Then I make a smaller checkerboard and reload it until I've found the limits of the part's portion of the texture file.

Fabulous looking repaint, Oren! Just the interior, eh ... have fun! That's my favourite challenge!I don't have your specific answer, you've caught me there. You've used the R4D as a base, of course, so that's why ... the DC-3s have regular spinners. I've sent a note to Jan to ask him ... I suspect it may be hiding in the VC textures somewhere, like the main cabin carpet! He'll post here soon enough, I'm sure.Again, she looks great!Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest Holliday

I do the exact same thing with the checkerboard. The only problem is there are forty textures for this plane. Of course some you can rule out right away. I can

Guest ogeva

ThanksI will wait for Jan...I used the R4D-6 model because the real thing is a C47, not the classic passenger DC3.I hoped you will know, as the DCA repaints have regular spinners, but I realize this is the default on the model.Well, let's wait for JAN.I made several attemps at finding out where exactly is the spinner texture is, but I only came out with funny looking pther parts...

One other thing you should know, as should others, before getting too deep into 'compromise' repaints, Oren. Jan is to release, as freeware to anyone who has the base install, further versions of the C-47/DC-3 model. There will be one, for example, with double port side doors and passenger configuration, which is typical of very many 1830-92 engined DC-3s in commercial service that were converted from C-47s. There will be a number of texture mapping modifications, too. So albeit that you may have to tweak your textures somewhat when these other models arrive, you may want to hang on a little while to release this lovely repaint of yours.Each future model released will also have repaint texture templates available to add to my repaint kit, for those starting from scratch.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest ogeva

In that case perhaps i SHOULD wait.I didn't realize this until your post when I checked - but it seems this baby has the double doors in the port side.What do you think? It's not very clear because the white is very bright in this pic...http://www.airliners.net/open.file/640933/LI will visit her again on the 19th, and I will get a better look and some more pictures.

Guest Javis

Hi Oren,Sorry to have to dissapoint you a bit here but the R4D model spinners are not textured i'm afraid. It was the first model of the DC-3 batch i've worked on ( and still am, probabely until the cows come home :( ) and because of its rather unique configuration i figured nobody would use it for a repaint. The other two birds' spinners *are* textured with 'glosspin_t.bmp'.I notice you also have a problem with the pax door... On top of that there's quite a forest of these small blade antennas on the roof of the real 4X-AES. I mean, no matter which repaint one chooses for any of the existing or additional models which will be released in sequence over the coming months, there will always be some 'make do' involved.Mark is right though, there just might be a better matching model becoming available soon for your 4X-AES repaint, atleast re the pax door config.(

Guest ogeva

Thanks for the info.I will wait for the new models, as the doors are a major issue here.You're right about the silver paint, of course, I cactually have a partly made 4X-AES in the silver painted fuselage amd wings - but I allwoed myself a little "artistic freedom" here, as Arkia did so as well!The antenna array on the top of this machine is there because this machine actually never flew for Arkia! Arkia has sold the last C47 it had during the 60s, and only last year they bought one of the Last IAF C47s to use it as a replica of their old airliners.I coudn't find any picture of a real Arkia C47, though I have asked an Arkia employee I know to look in the archives, perhaps they have something.For now, I don't even know if they had the double doors, if it really was silver painted or left in it's metalic skin...I want to reproduce a real airliner, not a mock monument. As I told Bill some time ago, I got a little delayed with the silver painted version, as I could get the markings out of there without traces. It will take me some time (unless Bill releases a new template before I can complete this). I will probably release the two versions in a package plus it's military origin as IAF's 040.I suppose the body textures will match the new version as well, so I will keep working until you release the extra models.Again, thanks for the info, I could have sepnt another few days looking invain for that spinner texture...Cheers!Oren