Sign in to follow this  
Guest holmese

R4D-6 Engines not Starting

Guest holmese

I originally sent this message to the MAAM site and Bill Rambow has requested that I post it here . I'm sorry it's a bit long , but I have tried to include as much info as possible . thanks Ted +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++I've been using the FS2004 model in FS9 everyday since I bought it. ( as you've guessed I'm a DC-3 nut ! - I've also got a soft spot for the DC-4 - hint ? ) anyway...... the reason for this email, is that I have encountered a problem that has me baffled. Something has obviously happened to prevent the engines from starting and I can't for the life of me think why. Like I said, I've been using the MAAM R4D for about the last 9 weeks or so ( ever since it first came out - and I used the FS 2000/2002 model for the last couple of years, so I should know it pretty well.) Starting the ship from cold has never been a problem. - up to now ! - I would go through the correct routine - battery switch on, genertors on, master switch on, mixtures full rich, prop pitch full, throttles 1/4 cracked, fuel pump on , prime, vibrator switch , then start switch , right engine would fire then settle down nicely - repeat procedure for left engine, and we're ready to roll ! - Never a problem - Must have done at least 200 - 250 starts this way. If I wanted to look at the start from outside the bird, then I just did control + E and was fascinated to see left engine fire up and then right, with all the smoke and noise. ! wonderfull. ! However last night I came to start her up from cold and nothing happened. The engine would crank over then die ! - checked the fuel, yep ok - checked all switches - yep ok - checked sequence of how I've always done it - yep correct ! - Hmmm... so I tried with Ctrl + E Same problem , would crank and then die. I put the mixture controls to off , then tried ctrl + E , sure enough I saw the auto start procedure push the mixture up to rich and then crank the engine but - no go. ! I then switched to the MS dc-3 aircraft, and started each engine without trouble - I then selected the MAAM R4D and there she was with all engines running sweetly. ! - So I thought, right If I just pull back the mixtures to cut off then push them forward and try and start, I shouldn't be missing any switches ( since the engines were already running ? ) and she should start with the normal procedure, of prime , vibrator switch , then start switch , yes ? - NO ! selected Ctrl + E - No go either.Just crank then die ! I then selected the MS dc-3 went through the procedure for just the left engine, back to MAAM R4D , yep , left engine running - Tried right engine start - No go - back to MS - Dc-3 - started right engine, then back to MAAM R4D , yep right engine now running. I tried Ctrl + E with MS dc-3 - No problem, tried Ctrl + E with MAAM R4D - No start ! I installed the patch for the MAAM R4D when it very first came out , and never had a problem with starting, but yesterday no go. The day before, I did a flight from Inverness(scotland) to Stornoway(scotland)- I started the ship from cold at Inverness, took off, flew to stornoway , landed , then shut down engines , turned switches off leaving cold cockpit. However the only thing that changed to the system , after leaving the dc-3 at Stornoway , was , that the next day , I went into FS9.cfg file and put in the following line so that I could pan round the 2D cockpit. (CONTROLS) section: pan_in_cockpit_mode=1and I also changed TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=400 to 800 NOTHING ELSE ! - ( I am not an avid tinkerer with the FS9.cfg file !, but I am also no amateur to opening files and making changes - what I'm getting at here is that I can assure you that nothing else was changed - and am pretty certain those lines wouldn't affect the starting procedure anyway ? )I started FS9 selected the R4D , ( cockpit cold ) then panned round the 2D cockpit. - didn't like it, so I went out of FS9, opened up the FS9.cfg file and took the line 'pan_in_cockpit_mode=1' out of the fs9.cfg file. Nothing else. I then went back to FS9 selected "previous" scenario - ( which was where I was when I exited FS9 ), the left and right views from the 2D cockpit, were back to how I orginally had them. I then started the plane like normal, ( ie. following each engine start procedure ) and flew from Stornoway to Benbecula , landed at Benbecula , pulled back mixture to cut fuel to engines then switched all switches off. I set the time for 15 mins in the future, and then went through the rigmarole of starting the engines from cold - THATS WHEN THE PROBLEM SURFACED!! I couldn't start the engines again after this shutdown with ctrl + E or using the "real " procedure.I tried re installing MAAM R4D from the CD , saying "overwrite " all files, and then re installing the patch, but no joy.I deleted the fs9.cfg file , thinking maybe there was something wrong with it, then re started FS9 so that it could build up a new fs9.cfg file with presumably the default settings which is what it was at before I opened it, but still not luck. I re read the manual again about the start procedures to see if there was anything I was missing ( I doubted it, since I have been successfully starting the R4D from cold for more than 200 starts in the last 2 1/2 months or so I could almost do it in my sleep ! ) I couldn't find anything in the manual that might solve the problem. You are my last resort. This has been a long missive, and I hope you can make sense of it, but then you did ask, that when sending in a problem, - longer is better than shorter !! FYI - My system is as follows:- Pentium 4 3.2ghz, 800 mhz fsb , 1024mb DDR PC3200 Ram, 120 gb Seagate SATA HDD, Nvidia FX5700 256mb,(with latest drivers) Creative Sound blaster Audigy , Windows XP SP2 , ( I installed SP2 about 2 weeks ago and everything has , and still is working fine - Have had no problems with it If you can solve this one for me without my having to remove FS9 completely and re install it, I will be eternally gratefull. ( I imagine putting an absolutely clean install of FS9 would fix things up , but I really don't want to go down this path if I can help it. Kind regards Ted Holmes

Did you check to make sure that all the fuel tanks had fuel in them? I have had instances where I will drain the mains completely and be running on the auxilorys and come back later only to find that the plane won't start. I found that when exited FS9 and came back later to fly more that it had switched back to the main tanks which were empty, thus not allowing me to start the engines till I fueled them up or switched to the auxilory tanks.

Guest allcott

You might want t scan this forum for a detailed thread on this very issue. Also, your TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=400 to 800 figure is way too high and bears no relation to the type and capacity of your video card. Try 240 or less.Allcott

Ted,As Allcott said, there's another thread discussing a similar problem. As described in that thread, you might try opening a small spot view window while in the cockpit using ctrl-W. Engine starting is somehow related to view mode in MSFS. If this works, then try the following:Engine starting is also related to planes which have previously been loaded into a flight. It sounds like you're saving the flight after landing at an airport, and continuing later. I do the same thing, but sometimes an anomoly can be introduced. Try loading from the "Create a Flight" menu instead. Start with the default C172, kill the engine, then switch to the DC-3. You may then be able to start without the additional spot view window.Good Luck,Ken

Guest holmese

Thanks guys for all the info - I guess I should have realised that there might have been something on this in previous emails - didn't think. All the info has been really helpfull. I can start the engines in spot view and if I go to the saved MAAM scenario with the Cargo BEA at Gatwick engine startup there works fine. I tried the create a flight using the Cessna then switching to the DC-3 but didn't work. - I also tried loading as the very first flight the default Meigs flight, then switching to the DC-3 , shutting down , then trying to start the engines but no go. Auto mixture is not enabled either. Just strange how for the last 9 weeks or so I have been able to save the flight were I was and when re-opening that saved flight everything worked perfectly but now it doesn't. Just one of those corruption things that happens with PCs every now and then I suppose. ?Anyway thanks a million for your support Ted

Guest dalenyc

Since purchasing the CD, I have not been able to start a flight with either the BEA or the United plane. The engines do not start, and there is no sound....But if I start R4D6, then switch to either of the other 2 planes they are fine. I installed the CD as directed, after no success, I uninstalled it and re-installed it...same problem. I even had a friend who is a computer programmer uninstall it and reinstall it...in case I misread the instructions....still the same problem....I am very discouraged, and ready to give up and continue using the default DC3 even though it is a much less perfect model, but it does fly. Any suggestions?Dale

Hi Dale,Mark tells me you have written me a couple times without response, but I have not received any mails. I always answer mails, so I'm puzzled what address you are using. Shoot me one at maam-sim@maam.org just to make sure that is working correctly.(Edit: Just learned you sent your mail to the MAAM webmaster, Fred Pierce. Fred is pretty good about forwarding things to me, but when he is out of town, this will not happen. The BT manual has a number of resources for support, and lists our team address, maam-sim@maam.org)Now, as for the starting problem, it sounds to me as if the BEA and United start-up flights may be the problem, since you can switch to them in the R4D situation and have them work. If you switch to one of the DC-3's in the R4D Start-Up flight, are you able to start them then, or will they only work if the R4D is running first?It has been suggested that flights can become corrupted. I don't know how or why, if this is the case, but I suggest you set up your own cold cockpit situations for them without using the CD's start-ups as a basis, save, and use them from now on. This is really quite inexplicable, since all three planes use the same gauge set. The only differences from a programming standpoint is that the two 3's have different MAP and RPM gauges for their dash 92 engines. The flight models have some altered characteristics, of course, but nothing that should change the starting, as far as I know. Hopefully, others will weigh in here and give you some ideas to try. Please don't give up on us. We really enjoy your repaints and want to see some on our platform. Bill Rambow MAAM-SIM - Rambow, Visser, Banting, Young, Womack, Sodja & Beaumonthttp://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/maamsim_logo.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Guest dalenyc

I had the same problem, and solved it by starting one of the MAAM flights included with the product, then went to (world area) chose an airport I wanted to fly out of, then renamed the flight as my default flight, or any name you may want to use for it. I did that with all three planes, and they now all work.Dale